Pre and Post Workout Food?

whats your pre and post workout food for muscle building?

i usually have tofu and brown rice 3-4 hours before my workout and a cup of coffee (w/o sugar), 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 2 bananas 30mins to 1 hour before my workout. after workout, i'll have 2 more bananas and have a cup or 2 of edamame (cant afford to eat much post-workout because my job only allows me to hit the gym after 9pm).

not sure if what im doing is most effective. advice?

I eat a couple bananas pre-workout as well, and then always a piece of fruit post-workout. I've heard that consuming simple carbs stops the catabolic process - but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I'll usually have a pretty big meal about 30 minutes after training too. A TON of steamed veggies, greens, hot sauce. I started taking spirulina tabs as a supplement, but I'm inconsistent as to what time of day they go down.

I've heard that 2 bananas have enough energy to fuel an individual for about 90 minutes of strenuous exercise. So, I wonder if your peanut butter is surplusage? Also, since peanut butter is typically a slow release energy source (fat/protein), I wonder if it is powering your workouts at all as compared to the bananas?