shoulder tendinitis?

kathymtns

Anyone here ever had shoulder tendonitis? I have been struggling with it the past little while. I saw a doctor last week and he gave me some therapy exercises to do and said not to do bench press or overhead movements. I know I am bad but I did bench press today just with the bar.

Any tips on how I can lift without making it worse and what exercises I should avoid?

Thanks, Kathy

Sorry no. I haven't had any shoulder tendinitis but I've had elbow and wrist tendinitis that cleared up about 6 weeks after going plant based. So maybe stop eating meat and dairy??? Jk

I did have some shoulder issues during my last fire academy. The workouts were very push heavy. My right shoulder started to hurt and it got to the point where I could barely do any overhead work. I started doing craploads of pull workouts at home to balance all the push-ups we were doing and the pain was gone in about 2 weeks.

Hi Kathy,

Ive found static holds with the resistance held in the fully contracted position to be a great way to work around injuries, injuries that for me were caused by the sheer forces that inpinge upon the joints and connective tissues when bones are forced to move through arcs and positions of disadvanged leverage.

When it comes to increasing muscular strength and size, it turns out that "lifting" weights isnt even necessary, you just need to expose your muscles to high intensity muscular contractions.

Moreover, given that the fully contracted poistion of a muscle is the ONLY poistion were maximal amount of muscle fibers can be recruited, then it begs the question...were is the merit in moving in or out of that one position - all it represents is a diminishing amount of muscle fiber recruitment.

So in order to stimuale the chest for example, on a pec deck machine, have a training partner help you bring the resistance into the fully contracted position (which should be anywhere between 25-40% heavier than you can normally lift), statically hold the resistance there until the contraction can no longer be sustained, at that point have a training partner help you lower the resistance.

I began using this type of training myself several years ago when I injured my left knee, I couldnt leg press, squat, lunge etc (if fact I could barely walk up flight of stairs), I began looking for a better - more efficient way to exercise, and one that wasnt based on tradition...but science, static holds / max contraction training was the way. I started performing static leg extensions and leg curls, holding the resistance (which was substantially heavier than I could lift through a full range of motion) in the fully contracted poistions of those two exercises, after just 4 workouts my knee condition had greatly improved, moreover, my gains i experienced during this time was far superior to what I had been doing, ie performing compound movements through a full range of motion, most likely because a full range of motion grestly limits how much resistance we can maximally contracted against.

Anyho, hope this helps, and if you need mord info give me a shout.

Best

Rob

Yup..had this years ago. Cause was not working all angles of the joint.

At the time, lift routine was 3 kinds of bench (flat/incline/decline), military press, shrugs, etc..

Fix was backing off on the bench, incorporating more shoulder rotational exercise, mostly with cable pulls.

Position cable so it's in line with your hand when standing with your arm at your side, elbow bent at 90 degree angle.

1) grab cable, keeping upper arm/elbow tight to your body, pull the weight across your body, keeping your elbow at 90 deg angle (rotating shoulder across your body)

2) (reverse) grab cable, pull till you're arm is back to starting position, pull away (rotating shoulder away from your body).

3) In and Out 2 way shoulder flys

Also, pretty much ditched benching with barbell, used dumbbells instead to give shoulder joint more degrees of motion to work on stability.

Never came back.

#BOOM

• 6 months later...

Try to do as much dynamic stretching before your workouts is much as you can. I do arm circles and even doing jump rope really helps. Make sure you are sweating a good amount. I used to think I had shoulder tendinitis until I started warming up properly.