Problems Appeared after Becoming Vegan ( Help )

A few months ago after reading the China Study I've decided to become vegan ..after 28 year I was an omnivore, and in the last 4-5 years I've consumed meat/ milk/ eggs / whey protein everyday. Also in the last 4-5 years I was going to the gym 6 days / week and I've felt very good and my performance in the gym was awesome.

Now after switching to a vegan diet problems started to appear in the gym. In the beginning I had to drop the weight because I just could not lift the same weights as before ..and some time while I was lifting heavy my hands started to shake a little bit that I've started to become dizzy. In the beginning I was thinking that probably I have a bad day and it will pass ...but in the last 3 months each time I wanted to lift a little bit heavier the same sympthoms appeared ..especially the dizzy part.

I'm aware that there are some things that I have to learn about and I hope that here is something that could help me solve this problem. Feel free to ask me any questions about this situation. Thank you !

I had a wobbly start too, fella. I had a few issues:

1. Food allergies to peas, corn, tomatoes, wheat

2. Inability to digest beans and lentils making getting my protein difficult.

3. Not getting enough calories without the energy density of meat.

1. This was difficult to overcome because tomatoes are delicious and make being vegan pretty easy. I've adjusted and found other recipes.

2./3. Adding oats and soy has address caloric and energy needs plus a ton of rice and potatoes. Nuts and seeds are very important for minerals and fats, avocados, greens for iron and antioxidants, fruits for energy and antioxidants, cabbage, broccoli sprouts, sea vegetables for iodine.

You really have to match or exceed the calories you were eating before. I don't take protein powders because of my soy intake of tofu, soy milk and natto. I'm now at the performance level I was before but this time without the nagging injuries.

Stay committed and figure it out. You can do it and it will be worth it.

Eiji is on the money...but I'll add a little more.

Make sure you're getting enough fat in your diet...like 25-35 percent of your total calories. Vegans often neglect saturated fats...and they are VERY important. Target 1/3 of your fat intake to be saturated fat.

If you're taking a protein supplement (yes, you should) I recommend you avoid soy based supplements. Soy in moderation isn't a problem, but you're probably getting plenty of soy from your normal eating, so do not supplement with soy.

FWIW, I intentionally put myself on a B12 deficiency when I first became vegan (so I knew how to recognize the deficiency). Some of my symptoms were dizziness while working out and severely reduced performance. Take that for what it is.

Good luck and stick with it.