Do you think it's easier to "over train" during winter?

damdaman

Due to your body having extra stress placed on it by having to fight off colds and other illnesses more frequently? Since exercise is stressing your body beyond it's normal limit so as to stimulate growth and development, where is the fine line between healthy stress and just doing harm?

What are the typical symptoms of over training your body that you've experienced? Illness, fatigue, irritability, interrupted sleep?

I ask because I was sick a LOT last winter. I've always had a strong immune system, at some points in my life going years without so much as a sniffle. After I went vegan and quit smoking, I definitely saw an improvement in my winter health as well. When I only lifted weights 2 - 3 times a week, I felt stronger, and didn't get sick often either.

Then over the past couple years I've gotten into martial arts, which is a really intense workout. Last winter I was going to 4 - 6 classes a week, which has kinda been my standard on-and-off since I started training martial arts, in addition to lifting weights a couple times a week. I was also going through a lot of stress at work, and then you add in indulgences like coffee and alcohol and, looking back, I can see why my body was so run down and sick.

But I don't want to make the same mistake this winter. I've already cut down my coffee intake to once or twice a week and started drinking yerba mate instead. I'm also limiting my alcohol consumption more, both of which I hope will help me sleep better and reduce the unnecessary stress I'm putting on my body. I also feel like my diet is a little cleaner now, as well.

But basically, I'm wondering if anyone else with a very high "work load" in their work out routine (i.e., not just lifting weights or jogging once or twice a week) finds they need to cut back on their regimen during the winter to keep from over training (which I want to avoid, because winter is the easiest time to train in my opinion, since the weather sucks and you don't get outside as much)?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, if I overtrain, it is usually in the summer. In the winter and during the school-year (full time student) I find it more difficult to keep up with my exercise routine. In the summer, although I am still very busy, I usually spend more time on exercise.

Also, since I've been vegan I have rarely been ill. But if I were to get ill I would probably take it a little easier until I got better. And I would be very critical with my diet.

• 4 years later...

For me the effective help to avoid overtraining is Navy Seal Formula. I've been taking it before workouts and was feeling great. Now I train twice as much as I used to and still feel full of energy. It works especially good in winter and spring when the body suffers from the lack of vitamins.

For me the effective help to avoid overtraining is Navy Seal Formula. I've been taking it before workouts and was feeling great. Now I train twice as much as I used to and still feel full of energy. It works especially good in winter and spring when the body suffers from the lack of vitamins.

I am going to assume this is spam, does anyone have any experience using this product ?

Not at all. Increase your calorie intake to keep the body full if you think you're going to be fighting off some illness or over training. I don't think I've ever over trained and last winter I was doing a powerlifting routine 5-6 days a week while handling a part time job and full time biology courses.

If you do get sick, take a few days off to let the body fully recover, then back at it at the gym.