Can anyone please help me get prepare for a 26 mile marathon

PMA

First of all I have never taken running seriously, I would only run back in high school 4 years ago but nothing serious.

My aunt invited me to the 26 Mile Los Angeles Marathon, which is on the 26 of March (anyone else from here going?). I decided to take the challenge, because I have always wanted to be in one. I have more than 2 months to get myself prepare, if anyone could give me any tips, or point a finger at a direction on how to get started anything helps.

I was also planning on starting P90X this Monday, would it be too much?

I'm a 22 year old slim male, if that helps.

Thanks in advance, hope to hear from all of you soon

I struggle to be a runner, but have lots of runner friends. The best tip I get from them about running long distances is to first, just keep running. You also have to balance the endurance part of the run with the speed part so you need some runs to be longer at a more moderate pace, and some shorter runs like 2-3 miles to focus on speed and intervals. That is about all the info I have. Hope it helps, and don't forget to stretch!

How good of a runner are you and how far are you running right now? If it's less than like 10 miles a day, I'd be worried. I'm not a runner so I can't give you tips, but maybe some of the runners at veganfitness could help you. Good luck!

Yeah I'm also starting to get worried. I've never done running as part of my daily life, so I'm sure as of now I'm only capable of running around 1 mile a day.

I struggle to be a runner, but have lots of runner friends. The best tip I get from them about running long distances is to first, just keep running. You also have to balance the endurance part of the run with the speed part so you need some runs to be longer at a more moderate pace, and some shorter runs like 2-3 miles to focus on speed and intervals. That is about all the info I have. Hope it helps, and don't forget to stretch!

Thanks for the info, I'm starting my training Monday. I'm gonna try running at a longer distance each day at a moderate speed and on the weekends at a faster speed to beat my weekday timings.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.... that's not much time to prepare. I'm doing my first marathon in May and I'm still worried about being ready.

As far as the P90X...I think it's a great idea. It's good to involve some form of cross training with any sport.

As hsorlando said, make sure you stretch. You have a short amount of time to work with and you don't need an injury taking up any of it. For my training plan and most other marathon training plans, you want to do shorter high intensity runs during the week (3-6 miles mostly), and a long run on the weekend at slightly slower pace than you plan to run in the marathon. For the long runs you want to build up the mileage gradually. Don't forget you want to taper a down on mileage at least the last couple weeks before the race. Rest days are important too. You need to let your body recover...so don't skip on taking rest days just because of the time crunch (at least 1 or 2 a week).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...