American football?

Sorry guys, I haven't been on this board for well over a year. Life got in the way of training, etc...

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with football training? (American football that is) I'm asking for my son. He's been playing football since 5th grade, and he's a great player on both sides of the ball. So now he's in High School, sophomore year, and he's seriously the smallest guy suited up. So, his talent gets overlooked by the simple fact that his 120 lbs is always outmatched by an opposing player of 190 + lbs.

I'm sure this wont come as a shock to anyone here, but he's also the only vegan on his team. And it's difficult to find anyone in the area who understands training for football AND a vegan lifestyle. The constant locker room banter regarding his food choices is one thing. But the fact that the trainer (nice guy really) simply thinks he just needs to eat some meat makes it even harder. Now that the season is almost over, he really wants to come back to the team this summer with something to show them all.

Remember, he's in high school. So we have to find a way to work in an eating schedule that fits in with school. The trainer will let him store some food and protein in his office, but again, he's not going to be able to take in bulking calories every 2-3 hours. The other problem is he also trains in MMA which includes intensive kickboxing. So there's a lot of cardio work going on. Great for conditioning, but I fear he's burning off whatever he takes in.

If there's anyone out there that has any experience in this area it would be appreciated. I could really just use some nutritional advice for someone with his schedule at his age. And we need help with a realistic goal. I don't want him thinking he's going to put on 50 lbs of mass by July. But with a 15 year old's metabolism, I don't really know what that realistic goal is.

Thanks

I think you may not have gotten any responses due to your thread title american football. A better choice maybe bulking for a 15 year old or something like that. I will fwd it to robert and see if he can fwd it to one of the other trainers. Maybe someone has experience working with teenagers. I would suggest that you use the search function in this forum and try searching things like teen, teenager, or maybe 15 years old or try other close ages like 16 or 17 if you dont get any luck. Maybe you can find some other members on here that are teens or talk about their teenage children and then post your questions to them directly.

Good luck,

-Dylan