My Doctor Amused Me

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

horsedoc
Rabbit

Re: My Doctor Amused Me

#16 Postby horsedoc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 am

lobsteriffic wrote:Thanks for the info.

I do keep a food journal. And it's not related to gluten, soy, or monthly cycles. I've tried probiotics and didn't notice a difference. And my meals are mostly vegetables already. I know it sounds like I'm shooting down your advice, but I'm not. I try to follow and Eat to Live like diet (only I eat more than 3 times a day) and that's very veggie/fruit-heavy. I don't get pain from it, I just look like I'm pregnant. The bloating is only in my tummy.

I feel like the only time I'm "regular" is when I eat junk food...processed food and refined flour/sugar. Which is odd...because there's less fibre. I just really don't get that.

I would highly suggest trying the digestive enzymes, some of them have hydrochloric acid in them as well. The ones I have do. Or you could get it separately and see if the plain digestive enzymes alone do the trick or if you need the added HCl.

I agree that it is best to see a holistic-minded doctor whether MD or ND. Naturopaths can do blood tests and such also. Different ones have different approaches and different specialties. Asking around or calling and asking questions helps to find the right one for you.

[quote}Are digestive enzymes different than probiotics? I have no idea. I'd be willing to give those a shot.[/quote]

Probioitics are meant to help re-balance gut flora.

Another issue that can cause severe bloating is candidiasis. Though if you are eating a lot of greens and not much fruit or fat, then it is less likely to be an issue.
Eating my way fit! (And working my buns off...)
Dr. Debra
http://drdebratibbitts.com
Lose 10 Pounds in 21 Days and Keep It Off

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#17 Postby lobsteriffic » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 am

I do eat a lot of fruit. Low fat, a lot of greens though. But I would say 4-7 servings of fruit a day.

Definitely will look for digestive enzymes next time I'm at the health food store.

horsedoc
Rabbit

#18 Postby horsedoc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm

It may be helpful for you to do mono-meals and see if there are any particular foods that cause a problem. Otherwise it is pretty easy to just get some high quality digestive enzymes at a health food store and see if they help. Unfortunately the brand I use is sold through health care professionals only.

Here are some links to good quality vegetarian products at great prices:

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults. ... st%20activ

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-E ... B000GFSVPU

http://www.amazon.com/nZymax-Digestive- ... =1-3-fkmr0

If you try enzymes please post your results. Good luck!
Eating my way fit! (And working my buns off...)
Dr. Debra
http://drdebratibbitts.com
Lose 10 Pounds in 21 Days and Keep It Off

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#19 Postby lobsteriffic » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks!

I've been keeping a pretty detailed food log for a year and I've tried eliminating things like gluten, soy, etc. but so far I've come up empty-handed.

HawaiiDolphin
Rabbit

#20 Postby HawaiiDolphin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Yeah my issue is body mass/fat, my belly is always pretty big. I'm gaining definition and losing inches in my arms/legs on a SUPER strict diet (I count every calorie and gram of everything) and going to the gym 3 hours/day, 6 days/week. Despite this, I'm not losing weight or body fat %, since it all redistributes to my abdomen/face. Ugh, I know.
I count my blessings in that I'm really healthy, I just have some issue that they haven't been able to find yet that causes this.
I'm also "normal" looking, you would just think I eat some junk and am not as fit as I am. (Women's size 10 for what it counts.)
I really just want to eat normal food sometimes. This calorie restriction thing (1000-1800 depending on workout) gets old. Not that I don't love vega and greens, but 2-3 meals a day are green smoothies or powder-based. I'd kill to eat a cookie sometimes. 2 months and we'll know and I can start treatment to get healthy!

HawaiiDolphin
Rabbit

#21 Postby HawaiiDolphin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:29 pm

horsedoc wrote:
HawaiiDolphin wrote:Nah they've checked my thyroid up and down. He's 99.9% sure it's adrenal or androgen related, but it'll take 2 months to know for sure. But yeah, that was the first thing they checked.

There is a fast and simple hormone test that you can do using saliva and there are labs you can use that do not require a doctor to order the test. Saliva is much more accurate than blood tests for hormone levels. I have used BioHealth Diagnostics in California to do saliva testing of my adrenal gland function. They also can do estrogen, testerone, DHEA and cortisol levels.

My body temperature runs about a degree below normal but I too have normal thyroid function but weak adrenals.

Hope you can get some answers and get your body back on track.

Yeah the actual tests don't take much time at all. The problem is that other doctors just tried to gloss over the problem which they never thought was related (acne and irregular cycle) by putting me on hormonal contraceptives. This new doctor thinks those were symptoms of the same problem. Until I can get them totally out of my system (about 2 months) they can't get an accurate measure on my androgens.

Marcina
Elephant

#22 Postby Marcina » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

I've had acne and screwy periods for years. Being put on birth control pills just "masked" the problem, but when I came off them last year, my problems just escalated. I haven't had a normal period on my own. I recently just got my acne under control with the help of topical medications and antibiotics.. I was at the point where I didn't care what it took to get rid of my acne because my face was just a mess. I still have PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) from all the acne I had.
I've tried talking to my doctor so many times about my weird cycle but all he does it try to tell me I need birth control pills, or the shot, or some other hormonal thing that won't fix the problem.. *sigh*

chelseasawyer87565
Finch

#23 Postby chelseasawyer87565 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 pm

DO NOT USE LASER for lyperpigmentation!! Its too strong and will make it worse!! These treatments are very expensive.

Since we have sensitive skin anyway, what works is using products with glycolic acid as that is gentler and will take away the hyperpigmentation over time without BURNING it off (which wil leave scars). I use two creams for my hyperpigmentation and I have seen results in one month of daily use. (1) the Made from Earth Pure Aloe Vera - I use this on my body, and (2) the Lady Soma Renewal Serum - I use this on my face.

Aloe is a safe, gentle and effective method of treating hyperpigmentation, while the Lady Soma Renewal Serum has gentle gycolic and hyaluronic acid that takes the pigment away without the laser burning.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”