need some help figuring out my diet

wardn

Hey all,

I've been visiting this forum for a while, but hadn't actually taken the time to register up until now. Reason I'm doing it now is because I could really use some help. I've been working out for well over a year, and have gone from weighing 143 pounds to 167 (I'm 6 feet tall by the way). I'd like to gain about 20 more pounds of muscle in the coming year, but progress has been slow lately. It actually seems like I'm gaining more fat than muscle at the moment (body fat at 19% right now). Since I do notice myself growing stronger (I keep a training log, working out 3-4 times a week), I figure that my workout is not the problem. So probably my diet is. I've also been weighing myself weekly for the past two months, and I've gained very little during this period (about 2,2 pounds in total).

My diet right now consists of about 6-8 meals a day, averaging about 3000-3100 calories and about 150 grams of protein (this includes incomplete proteins as well). I've been doing some research, and have encountered some information saying it is actually possible I'm gaining fat because I'm not eating enough, rather than too much. Could this actually be the problem? Also, I've read something about the protein - carbs - fat ratio having to be around 30 - 50 - 20. If this is the case, my protein is probably not high enough. Any tips as to how to improve my diet (and my gains!) would be greatly appreciated!

My tip would be to post your questions on someone else's thread directly, someone who seems to know what they are talking about, check the training journals. I would also try shorter posts with like just a couple of questions on it. You'll get back more feedback this way. Also try searching using the search button and key words like ratio or protein ratio, etc, these questions you have are discussed often.

Good luck,

Dylan

So I increased both protein intake (about 180 grams a day instead of 150) + calories (3300-3400 instead of 3100) last week. Just weighed myself, gained a little over half a pound, body fat dropped about 0,7, and muscle increased about 0,6 (at least, according to my scale). I'll probably try to increase both calories and protein intake even more this week, hopefully this will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So after seeing a bit of weight gain in the previous two weeks, I weighed myself again today and have somehow actually managed to lose weight (lost 1,3 pounds) and muscle (-0,3%) but gain fat (+0,4%) again. This is driving me crazy! Goal for this week: increase calories to 4000 a day, with protein at around 200 grams.