Vegan for about 1.5 months now but I always feel hungry?

Hi, guys! After being a life-long meat eater, I gave up eggs and chicken (I gave up dairy and other meats years ago already) the beginning of January. Since going veg, I find that my appetite has increased exponentially. I track my calorie/macro intake and find it really difficult to reach over 75 grams of protein without the use of protein powders (I'm trying not to use them,I would rather eat real food). My diet is super plant based.

Breakfast: A huge fruit smoothie

Snacks: Baby carrots, bell peppers, fresh fruit

Lunch: Stir fried vegetables with a cup of lentils

Dinner: Various vegetables with lentils and nutritional yeast

My calorie intake has increased to around 1450 NET. I am concerned about my protein intake and I would like to lose weight (I am in a sport with weight classes so it would benefit me) but because I feel hungry an hour or two after a HUGE meal of vegetables and beans, I don't feel my weight going anywhere.

I'm doing my best to be gluten and soy free because I read that they're inflammatories and I have an acne problem, so soy-free is much better for me. Any suggestions on what to do? Should I eat more beans to satiate my hunger? How much should my calorie cut go to for me to lose weight (net calories)? There are so many calorie calculators out there..I wish there was some magical number for me to lose weight! I am 21 (almost 22!), female, and 125 lbs.

Does anyone else have this protein problem? What should I do?

Make sure all meals have protein, carbs and fats. An all fruit smoothie won't stick with you long. If you add avocado or a table spoon or two of canned coconut milk, along with some flavorless protein powder, you have a meal. Same thing with your lunch and dinner. Lentils will provide protein and carbs, as will some of the veggies. Where are the healthy fats? Nuts are a great way to add some filling calories to a meal or snack. I have eaten a plant based diet for 3 years. I cannot get full from only fruits and vegetables. However most of my meals are salads but they are mixed with nuts, quinoa, barley, beans, tempeh and other filling ingredients. If I don't have a good balance of protein, carbs and fats then I'll be hungry. Also, try drinking a large glass of water with your meal to help you feel fuller.

Make sure all meals have protein, carbs and fats. An all fruit smoothie won't stick with you long. If you add avocado or a table spoon or two of canned coconut milk, along with some flavorless protein powder, you have a meal. Same thing with your lunch and dinner. Lentils will provide protein and carbs, as will some of the veggies. Where are the healthy fats? Nuts are a great way to add some filling calories to a meal or snack. I have eaten a plant based diet for 3 years. I cannot get full from only fruits and vegetables. However most of my meals are salads but they are mixed with nuts, quinoa, barley, beans, tempeh and other filling ingredients. If I don't have a good balance of protein, carbs and fats then I'll be hungry. Also, try drinking a large glass of water with your meal to help you feel fuller.

In my smoothes, I will add either flax seed or chia seeds(Forgot to mention this, sorry). I supplement vitamin D because the last time I was at the doctor (a year ago), I was told I was deficient. I drink at least 30 oz of water before each meal, and do have quinoa every now and then. I will try hitting all the macros in my meals..especially breakfast. My biggest issue is usually right after dinner. I stir fry the veggies in olive oil, shouldn't that give me all the macros?

Are you gaining or losing weight? Most people will typically lose weight when they first switch to a vegan diet. If you have a huge weight loss, it might be as simple as just eating more. Remember that 1 cup of spinach only has 7 calories. You can eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies and still not be meeting your daily caloric needs. While vegetables do have protein in them, you need to eat a lot if it's your only source of protein. It takes time for your body to adapt but here is no need to be hungry on a vegan diet. I think lunch and dinner have a good mix of your macros. What are your goals with the diet? Lose weight or bulk up?

In my smoothes, I will add either flax seed or chia seeds(Forgot to mention this, sorry). I supplement vitamin D because the last time I was at the doctor (a year ago), I was told I was deficient. I drink at least 30 oz of water before each meal, and do have quinoa every now and then. I will try hitting all the macros in my meals..especially breakfast. My biggest issue is usually right after dinner. I stir fry the veggies in olive oil, shouldn't that give me all the macros?

Are you gaining or losing weight? Most people will typically lose weight when they first switch to a vegan diet. If you have a huge weight loss, it might be as simple as just eating more. Remember that 1 cup of spinach only has 7 calories. You can eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies and still not be meeting your daily caloric needs. While vegetables do have protein in them, you need to eat a lot if it's your only source of protein. It takes time for your body to adapt but here is no need to be hungry on a vegan diet. I think lunch and dinner have a good mix of your macros. What are your goals with the diet? Lose weight or bulk up?

My weight stayed the same. I have been "eating clean" for years so I wasn't partaking in the SAD. I want to lose weight.

I think you should focus on more fats in your diet. I bought a big fat tub of coconut oil and I put that in a lot of stuff. I use a lot of olive oil too. They both go well in oatmeal and other grains, as a substitute for butter they are amazing, and I even put them in my protein shakes (unflavored, then sweetened with molasses for a few carbs) to make it a meal replacement. Add some powered oats and you turned it into a weight gainer lol. This isn't the best nutrition since it lacks a lot of vitamins and minerals, but it does help you attain the macronutrients needed to feel energized and full. One or two of these meal replacements on top of your fresh fruit and vegetable servings should have you feeling like a champ. Remember that you need to change your macronutrient levels depending on your body type and activity levels, so play around with the ratios until you find what works for you.

Are you avoiding grains? It is really hard to stay full if you avoid them as a vegan.

Have you calculated how many calories you need/how many you're getting?

I think you should focus on more fats in your diet. I bought a big fat tub of coconut oil and I put that in a lot of stuff. I use a lot of olive oil too. They both go well in oatmeal and other grains, as a substitute for butter they are amazing, and I even put them in my protein shakes (unflavored, then sweetened with molasses for a few carbs) to make it a meal replacement. Add some powered oats and you turned it into a weight gainer lol. This isn't the best nutrition since it lacks a lot of vitamins and minerals, but it does help you attain the macronutrients needed to feel energized and full. One or two of these meal replacements on top of your fresh fruit and vegetable servings should have you feeling like a champ. Remember that you need to change your macronutrient levels depending on your body type and activity levels, so play around with the ratios until you find what works for you.

Are you avoiding grains? It is really hard to stay full if you avoid them as a vegan.

Yes, I aim to eat around 1450 NET (meaning if I exercise, I will eat more). I find that I do better craving-wise without grains because bread and other starchy foods are "trigger" foods for me

Yes, I aim to eat around 1450 NET (meaning if I exercise, I will eat more). I find that I do better craving-wise without grains because bread and other starchy foods are "trigger" foods for me

Carbs are your friend as a very active person, so if grains are an issue for you, I would eat lots of sweet potatoes, which are high in carbs and offer complete protein as well. One large sweet potato usually fills me up with no side dishes. Put oil in everything that you can (including the sweet potatoes). Avocados are awesome, I wish I weren't allergic to them Get some dried fruit and mix that with some really fatty nuts and seeds and you can get full pretty quickly. (There are lots of carbs in dried fruit, which i like to think of as nature's candy) and they help to curb your cravings.

So to recap, I would focus on:

Added oils: Olive and coconut oil

Sweet potatoes

Avocados

Nuts/seeds with dried fruit: Cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, prunes, dates, raisins, dried apricots, dried figs. I would get all of these, rip up the larger fruits and mix thoroughly. Then you can carry them around with you everywhere.

Carbs are your friend as a very active person, so if grains are an issue for you, I would eat lots of sweet potatoes, which are high in carbs and offer complete protein as well. One large sweet potato usually fills me up with no side dishes. Put oil in everything that you can (including the sweet potatoes). Avocados are awesome, I wish I weren't allergic to them Get some dried fruit and mix that with some really fatty nuts and seeds and you can get full pretty quickly. (There are lots of carbs in dried fruit, which i like to think of as nature's candy) and they help to curb your cravings.

So to recap, I would focus on:

Added oils: Olive and coconut oil

Sweet potatoes

Avocados

Nuts/seeds with dried fruit: Cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, prunes, dates, raisins, dried apricots, dried figs. I would get all of these, rip up the larger fruits and mix thoroughly. Then you can carry them around with you everywhere.

Wow, thanks for all the advice! It's hard for me to stay in a good target calorie range with lots of nuts and oils,but I'll try and see if it helps my hunger levels.