Enough protein???

Is it true that the standard calculation - 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight - is a myth..and one doesn't really need that much protein? Is it true that for muscle building, 50 or 60 grams of protein per day is enough?

my memory was rubbish!!!

Checked a few books...this is from My Beef With Meat...

"...For healthy individuals, the World Health Organization recommends the following formula to calculate your daily protein requirements: (0.8 grams) x (your ideal body weight in kilograms) = protein in grams. So, for a 175lbs guy like me using the above formula I should be getting 64 grams of protein per day. This is an absolute snap!"....

And...

"The only 2 ways to blow it with protein are by (1) not consuming enough calories to maintain a healthy weight, and (2) eating mostly foods that are high in fat and sugar (the chips, donuts, French-fries and soda-pop diet.) If you're eating an unprocessed plant-strong diet while keeping a healthy weight you are covered!"......

Ignore everything you hear about protein. If you eat mostly whole plant-based foods, you will get plenty of protein. As VB referenced, you either have to be deficient in calories, or eating a crap diet.

Consider this. A baby grows a whopping 350% in its first two years of life on mothers milk which is about 4.5% protein by calories. You will never grow faster than this in your entire life.

• 4 weeks later...

Great reference guide here as well, has a lot of info as well as some higher sources of protein for the vegan diet.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

"Vegan athletes’ protein needs can range from 0.36 to 0.86 grams of protein per pound. Protein supplements are not needed to achieve even the highest level of protein intake."

I've based mine around the 0.36 per pound for the last 3 years or so but have increased slightly with the higher amount of training I've been doing, seems to fit quite well and as Cappy and VB mentioned, if you are eating whole, natural foods it comes pretty dang easy to get.