Plant Protein Powders?

I am new to all of this except lifting weights, and I have only recently gotten back into it lifting after years of being inactive.

I am trying to switch to a diet that consists of mostly raw fruits and vegetables. The majority of my food intake comes from juicing. Does anyone here have any recommendations as far as plant protein powders? Thank you.

Carl

Yes. There is a plethora of plant proteins out there now, and depending on what brand you buy, the types will vary considerably. From my personal experience I have problems digesting hemp, flaxseed, and soy plant proteins, so I look for ones that do not have these, or have them in the ingredients list down towards the end (minimal amount). You will need to experiment to find out what works for you. I think I have seen on this forum a place where you can special order the exact kind and percentage amount of plant proteins in powder form that you could request. It might be worth it to invest time and money into doing that.

Personally I like plant fusion pea protein. I reviewed Garden of Life once personally I didn't like it. It was like drinking sand. It was very gritty. It wasn't as much a digestion problem for as a humm.. clogging problem. LOL, I couldn't poop for a week.

LOL! It does have alot of fiber in it! Though I will say that I put the protein powder in alot of water/rice milk in my blender when I do make a shake (or in the shaker bottle - fill it to the top). Never had a gritty taste to me though. Strange. I had no problem with Plant Fusion, it was just a preference of taste - too sweet for my tastebuds (for the Vanilla flavor).

Omg yes.. the vanilla plant fusion is so sweet! I get the unflavored one. I also like Sun warrior protein powder but they changed their packaging so Im currently protesting the new packaging. They use to come in this very simple bag. It was minimal and laid fairly flat. Perfect for cyclist. Or people that walk to the grocery store. Now it comes in this bulky square box. Thats really to hard to pack in a sling bag or back pack. So I refuse to buy it unless I can get the old packaging. ☺

I personally have found success with True Nutrition (TrueNutrition.com). I've tried a lot of different kinds, and that online place is cheap and you can choose your flavors/additives. It's bulk, so it's much cheaper. The only negative is relatively expensive UPS ground shipping from California to Boston.

They are smart and have a whole "Vegan Protein" section. They've got lots of various kinds. If I hadn't found a good protein mix, I wouldn't have been able to train for my competition, because if something tastes bad, I simply won't eat it, so what's the point.

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies for not posting a reply to this for a while. I was having some problems with my computer. I got some of that Garden of Life RAW protein powder. I am going to try mixing it with almond milk and a banana for a post-workout drink. Does that sound okay?