Nice write-up on athelete diets and rocking vegan style

was searching for something else, came across this link in the process. Thought I'd share...though for my 2014 update, I'd nix the canola/olive oils...go for coconut. Avoid to the extent possible processed foods.

--------------------------

How to Be an MMA Fighter on a Vegan Diet

Daniel O'Rourke, Yahoo! Contributor Network

Mar 13, 2011

MMA may very well be the fastest-growing sport in the world today. As techniques, training methods and fighting styles are evolving rapidly, another aspect is evolving as well; fighters are changing their diets. Even in boxing, Muay Thai, and kickboxing, we are seeing an increasing trend of vegan fighters. Athletes are finding that they can gain more muscle, lose more weight, and win more fights on a vegan diet. But how do you become a champion fighter on a vegan diet? These are tips on how to become a vegan warrior.

#1 Go for whole foods.

The ideal vegan diet comes primarily from whole vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds, and beans. Supplements, energy bars and protein shakes are great, but they should not compromise your whole diet. Foods come in varying degrees of wholeness, so remember that the less processed it is, the better. Brown rice is better than white rice, apples are better than apple sauce, and tempeh, miso or tofu are all better than soy protein concentrate. Following this rule, you will lose weight, gain muscle and have more steady energy.

#2 Don't stress about protein.

Vegans have no problem getting enough protein. It is true you need the protein to build up muscles and recover from training, but even the most brutal MMA training regimen does not demand animal flesh. All vegetables and whole grains contain protein. Nuts seeds and beans are especially rich in vegan protein. If you're really looking to up your intake, you can go for tofu, tempeh, miso or spirulina. An MMA fighter needs at least 1.6 grams of protein per Kg of body weight. If you're eating right, you should have no problem getting all the amino acids you need to build muscle.

#3 Don't skip the fat. You have likely heard that you should avoid all fats, but I'm telling you otherwise. Fats will keep you feeling full for longer, and you will need them for endurance over the long, grueling training sessions that MMA requires. Vegan fighters don't get their fats from meat, they get them from sources rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Canola or olive oil, nuts and avocados are all good sources. Avoid packaged foods, which are packed with saturated and trans fats.

#4 Ignore low-carb fad diets

Carbohydrates are your body's main source of fuel and energy. You are not going to be an MMA champion without energy; you aren't even going to survive training. A vegan fighter loves his carbohydrates. Eat natural, unprocessed sources like: whole grains, potatoes, and fruit. Avoid processed sugars and packaged food, which will slow you down and make you fat.

#5 Avoid alcohol completely

Staying away from alcohol is not a guideline; it's a rule. One beer can set you back 2 weeks or more. Vegan or not, nothing will beat you faster than spending a Saturday at the bar.

By following these tips, you will be well on your way to becoming a vegan fighter. Whether you are boxing, kickboxing or fighting MMA, you are now on your way to dominating your sport.

One beer can set you back two weeks?! I might have to reconsider my Friday night alcoholic treat. Damn.

I just had 6 cucumber agave tequila drink with dinner the other night. Each drink comes with 2 shots tequila in it... I figure if one beer sets me back 2 weeks then each shot of tequila probably set me back 4 weeks then by my math dinner set me back 48 weeks. Then there was the beer... oh and ... OMG what did the weed set me back?? ... I'm doomed... The zombies will have taken over by the time I recover.

You guys are funny!!!

I thought putting all the veg in your tequila neutralized the effects -- like peeps getting Big Mac extra value meal supersized with a diet coke....

I don't know about one or two drinks equaling 2 weeks lost. Mike Dolce who does nutrition/training for UFC fighters commented on a pod-cast that a 'cheat day' (maybe it was a cheat meal? I forget) can undo 2 days of good nutrition and working out. That makes a little more sense to me than 1 beer or unit of alcohol knocking away 2wks of training...unless except that 1 unit of alcohol leads to a plate of nachos, or wings, or both, and other similar crap bar foods.

All things in moderation! And in the event I go a bit over that moderation point...there's always extra stuff to do tomorrow to make up for it...

You guys are funny!!!

I thought putting all the veg in your tequila neutralized the effects -- like peeps getting Big Mac extra value meal supersized with a diet coke....

I don't know about one or two drinks equaling 2 weeks lost. Mike Dolce who does nutrition/training for UFC fighters commented on a pod-cast that a 'cheat day' (maybe it was a cheat meal? I forget) can undo 2 days of good nutrition and working out. That makes a little more sense to me than 1 beer or unit of alcohol knocking away 2wks of training...unless except that 1 unit of alcohol leads to a plate of nachos, or wings, or both, and other similar crap bar foods.

All things in moderation! And in the event I go a bit over that moderation point...there's always extra stuff to do tomorrow to make up for it...

Haha.. cucumbers are hydrating! So they help balance the tequila!

Maybe he's speaking personally. Maybe he's just one of those people that can't handle much alcohol. If one beer knocked out 2 weeks of training for me I'd never have accomplished anything. LOL Personally I think anything done in moderation is fine. And if it's not done in moderation then yeah I try to combat the negative effects of it as best I can.

ok this may make me sound like I need AA but ... I actually have systems for when I drink. One I never drink on an empty stomach, I always follow it with lots of water, I drink through out the night even after I go to bed! I also juice cucumbers, limes, celery and ginger after a night of drinking because I think it helps flush the alcohol out and prevents stomach issues the next morning.

• 3 weeks later...