HELP WANTING TO BE VEGAN

JV68

i'm 46 years old my name is John, I've been in shape my entire life, I was always a little underweight but flexible, ripped and pretty strong, mostly due to martial arts. I ate whatever I wanted and walked around with 10% or less body fat. I'm looking to switch over to vegan because i've had a few injuries in the last 10 years which caused a lot of weight gain, I'm always hungry, tired and feel like my body is breaking down. I can't seem to figure out how to lose it. With the way that they mess with the food nowadays it's so hard to eat healthy, I'm very interested in switching over to vegan. But I'd like to know is how do I find out the amount of calorie intake I should have for day, and how much protein I should have at every meal, and recipes? I'm 5' 8", 236 lbs, and I just had shoulder surgery in March so I can't really do a complete full weightlifting gym routine. My goal is to do some cardio and some other type of exercises that won't bother my shoulder, but I know if I eat right and go vegan my body will start to go to the weight that it's supposed to be at, my goal weight is 165. I appreciate any help that anybody can give me or direct me too.

Hey bud, im probably not the best person to answer this question. I do want to ask is vegan just to lose weight? If that is the case as soon as you hit your goal and start eating "normal" again you'll gain weight. If it is just weight loss reasons you want to go vegan I think you should just look at what your eating and your portion sizes . Also look into macro counting as it is a good way to trace you caloric intake.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. No, Vegan is not just for weight loss, I want to make it a way of life permanently. I did at one point go vegetarian for 21 days and felt pretty amazing. But I'm interested in Vegan solely. I'm just really turned off with the countless ways of them even tampering with food that should be good for you and you even have to worry about that.

Yeah! Another martial artist!!

Lots of good questions, some are basic beginners questions, some stuff we've all struggled with or learned along the way, and some definitely part of the de-programming we all need esp if we weren't raised on plant-based lifestyles. LOTS of myth and marketing about both counting calories, grams of this and that, etc....some things to watch and worry about but other to just let go of and trust the completeness that is a diverse, well planned plant-based lifestyle.

Happy to help ya!!!

You can do a lot without your arms. How is your shoulder doing by the way? Any signs of improvements? Work your back and core and legs. Your arms will catch up quick once your shoulder heals, take recovery slow dont risk re-injury.