Cheap lunches

Hey,

So I am in the middle of a time where I need to save on money and time (lots of time spent commuting, freelancing), and while I can keep things cheap in terms of my gym (hooray, $10 a month plans and yoga passes), I am trying to make myself a lunch system so that I don't just eat out all of the time (I work a desk job above a pricey, though healthy, grocery store), but also so that I can eat healthfully on the cheap. Yesterday, I bought a loaf of Veganic bread that I bagged and froze into slice pairs so that I can make sandwiches without letting the whole loaf go bad. Bread usually goes bad for me since I just buy for me and leave it sitting out...and don't want to eat bread everyday. While this might help stretch my dollar, I don't want to sabotage my diet.

First question to the community: Can sandwiches be an okay lunch when trying to stay healthy and get into shape? Today I sliced one small avocado for the filling and had a side salad of spinach and lettuce. My other thoughts would be hummus and maybe some tofurkey slices, but I don't want it to end up being this big, unhealthy mess (I'll save that splurge for the weekend when we go out :P)

Second, what do you guys do for cheap, office lunches typically? I'm lucky to have a full kitchen in our break room, but sometimes you just want to be able to grab something quick, and that usually ends up in getting something at the store for about 2-3x as much as I want to spend...oh, specialty vegan items.

Sandwich are fine, the one you had is allright, maybe a bit low on the protein side.

You could try to fill it with home-made hummus, or replace bread with salad for a low-cal wrap, depending on your goals.

Get the ingredients you need and prepare your meal yourself to keep costs low.

I often have a salad, using any of the following ingredients depending on what I feel like.

Costs me about £1 - £1,50 / meal

I work in an office, with fridge, plates, etc.

- half a can of chickpea or legumes or similar amount of tofu (more expensive though)

- a small handful of almonds or a tbsp of olive oil or half an avocado (slightly more expensive)

- about 2 large handful of vegs, any kind I fancy.

Dessert : a piece of fruit

Note: I have 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. If you eat less often (e.g. : 3 meals/day), you'd need to increase quantities in the list I gave above.