complete plant proteins

I have been reading into plant based sources of protein. I understand that, as a general rule, you need to combine multiple sources of plant proteins to create a complete protein.

One recommendation I have seen alot is beans and rice. But I cannot find any information on how to combine these foods most effectively. Does anyone know the correct ratios for combining these foods to maximize your intake of complete proteins?

Any information or suggestions on where I might be able to find the information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Steve

Hi steve, as far as i'm concerned, it's not a big deal, you don't need to get complete proteins in every sitting, as the body will be able to complete those proteins in future meals

if you're like me, and probably anyone with a decent diet, you'll get pretty varied protein sources, nuts, oats, wheat, beans, legumes, and protein powders.

From what i know, soy is a complete protein, and often manufacturers of vegan protein powders will mix brown rice & pea protein, because together, they fill the gaps in each others proteins

i kinda think the whole complete proteins for vegans thing is a little bit of an illusion, people read up on it, and worry so much about it, when most vegan diets will have enough of a varied food source to cover the complete proteins without any trouble

a sample of for example, my meals today (or the main protein sources) is follows

black bean patties (protein sources are black beans, and gluten)

protein pancakes (protein sources pea & brown rice, and soy milk)

indian lentil dish (no recipe, just lentils and spices) (protein sources, the lentils)

almonds as a snack

roast beans as a snack

so, probably like 6-8 different sources right there, i think if you just get protein from a few different sources each day, you don't have to worry about it

I have been reading into plant based sources of protein. I understand that, as a general rule, you need to combine multiple sources of plant proteins to create a complete protein.

If you are able to maintain your weight ( with good quality food ) you are getting an adequate amount of protein/amino acids. For an optimal mix of amino acids, complimenting them, all you need to know are these combinations

1. Legumes ( beans, peas, soy ) + whole grains.

2. Legumes + seeds

You don't need to know ratios.

You are going to get a lot of urban folklore about vegan nutrition on the web, sadly, even on vegan sites. I recommend you read a good vegan nutrition book from authors with solid credentials.

I recommend "Vegan For Life" by Jack Norris RD, who is a vegan, a registered dietitian, and a confounder of Vegan Outreach.