Low Testosterone

Hello,

In December 2013 I started a raw vegan diet. I lost a lot of weight and went during 2 months from 15% bf to critical 5-6%.

When I entered the 10% range, the low testosterone symptoms sat in.

Weakness, loss of libido, low ejaculate volume, low erection, felt cold.

I went to my Doc and a bloodtest showed that my test levels were at 1,51 ng/ml (normal: 3,3-10ng/ml)

I started to eat more, stopped exercise and the raw vegan diet. I started to eat load of quinoa and buckwheat and felt a bit better.

I gained a lot of fat and my bf went to 18%. 3 weeks ago my test levels were measured again and they came back at 2,42 ng/ml.(still very low)

I still have no libido, low ejaculate volume and all other symptoms of low testosterone.

I was sure that the strong diet (fat too low but now higher) were the reason for low test levels. I found a lot of people with low test levels after a diet. But now I have been recovered for 7 months, gained a lot of weight and nothing happened.

So maybe there could be another reason for my low testosterone problem:

1. My body needs more time to recover. 5 % body fat is very low. I didn't make reefed days and so my leptin levels are still very low. There are strong correlations between leptin and testosterone levels.

2. Phytoestrogens in Quinoa and Buckwheat. I eat 400 gr Quinoa and 600 gr buckwheat per day, everyday. Could the phytoestrogens be the reason ? (I don't think so)

3. D-chiro-inositol amounts in buckwheat. I found a study that showed lowered testosterone levels in woman after taking D-chiro-inositol.

in buckwheat are huge amounts of this phytochemical. http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t1867-buckwheat-dci-lower-testosterone

Of course I also eat other sources for fats, carbs and ports like walnuts, coconut oil, Wakame Alga, vegetables and fruits etc.

I really hope that my nutrition is not the reason. I love Quinoa and Buckwheat and don't want to change anything. But I also want to get healthy again.

So what do you think. Could my nutrition be the reason for my low testosterone levels ?

Hope you can help me. Best regards from germany.

Joe

I started to eat more, stopped exercise and the raw vegan diet. I started to eat load of quinoa and buckwheat and felt a bit better.

Add in legumes ( beans, peas, soy bean products, peanuts ).

There is a lot of urban folklore in regards to vegan nutrition. It sounds like you have been a victim of it. Unfortunately, vegan web boards can be one of the worst places for spreading misinformation.

Jack Norris R.D. is a registered dietician and a cofounder of Vegan Outreach.

Get a copy of his book "Vegan For Life" and follow all of the advice. It is about medical fact and how to take care of yourself, instead of pop diet folklore.

My apologies if I sound harsh.

As you get more rested add moderate exercise and some fatty foods back in. Keep going to your doctor.

I already eat other foods like beans, rice etc.

I found some studies which say that high amounts of phytoestrogens can lower testosterone. Quinoa, Buckwheat, Beans etc. include phytoestrogens. Could this be the reason for my low testosterone problem ? I don't really think so but I want to be sure that my nutrition is not the cause before I start TRT.

My Doc has no clue why my T levels are that low. He said my extreme diet and the low BF could be the reason, but its 7 months ago now and I already gained a lot of fat.

I would say eat more legumes, that is where the lion's share of protein and other important nutrients come from on a vegan diet.

I found some studies which say that high amounts of phytoestrogens can lower testosterone

Do you have a degree in medicine or a related field? I don't. No disrespect, but it takes training and experience to able to interpret what a study means. I've heard the exact opposite, that phytoestrogens block out much stronger estrogen at receptor sites. Like I said, I am not a doctor.

You put yourself on an extreme diet. Sometimes it just takes an abused human body a long time to recover. Learn your lesson, and do not take anything from the internet or alternative medicine people on faith. Do your own reading, do not jump into things.

Eat more legumes, eat more healthy fats ( avocados, nut butters, etc ), do some resistance training as your body can handle it ( not being tired all of the time ).

Also testosterone measurements can vary day by day, even time of day, so don't stress yourself over the last, lowest measurement.

Get a doctor who will also measure your free testosterone levels without you having to ask. No harm in a second opinion.

• 9 months later...

I found some studies which say that high amounts of phytoestrogens can lower testosterone. Quinoa, Buckwheat, Beans etc. include phytoestrogens. Could this be the reason for my low testosterone problem ?

I'd wager a bet and say no, as you mentioned lowered T levels were found in women...which is much different biochemically from T production/processing in men. I'll echo what has already been said before, which is to talk to your doctor.

Try increasing your sleep, lowering your stress, and avoiding such a critically low BF.

• 1 month later...