Newbie Bulker with a few questions :)

Hi All

so im new to weightlifting but a lot of my questions at this point are more nutritional, from reading some threads there is a lot of knowledgable people on here which is fantastic. so below are my questions and hopefully from your experience you may be able to help.

best way to track calories? (ie food scale or an online calorie tracker site) i would imagine an online tracker would keep you updated with how many % of calories your taking in from fat etc.

best way to get an accurate rate of your BMR on exercise days and non exercise days, i would ideally like to know as accurate as possible what my BMR is, so is the best the usual online formulas or get a watch that will track your burned calories in a whole day?

for bulking what would you say is the best percentages to go by for protein, carbs and fats?

might as well throw this one in, do you guys/gals weigh yourself? im personally thinking of just using my accumeasure BF Calipers to really know if its fat or muscle im gaining and just looking at my appearance in the mirror. think i would feel more comfortable with that rather than obsessing with figures on the scales!

thanks in advance for any great answers

I like using myfitnesspal to log my meals. The website will calculate your BMR and plan out your macros for you which is nice, plus it syncs well with many activity tracking devices and apps. The problem is that myfitnesspal and many similar sites and apps are all based around weight loss and not weight gain, so if you are bulking you may have to design your own macros instead of using the site's suggestions.

When I bulk I usually go for my bodyweight (lbs) in protein (grams), 25-30% calories from fat, and the rest in carbs.

Here is a link for a good calculator for macros: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

And as far as weighing goes, I usually try to weigh myself once a week or less. Be consistent. If you weigh in first thing in the morning then you should do the same each time, as your weight can fluctuate a lot throughout the day due to what you eat and drink. Always trust the mirror over the scale, and bodyfat measurement is a good idea.

Good luck!

I like using myfitnesspal to log my meals. The website will calculate your BMR and plan out your macros for you which is nice, plus it syncs well with many activity tracking devices and apps. The problem is that myfitnesspal and many similar sites and apps are all based around weight loss and not weight gain, so if you are bulking you may have to design your own macros instead of using the site's suggestions.

When I bulk I usually go for my bodyweight (lbs) in protein (grams), 25-30% calories from fat, and the rest in carbs.

Here is a link for a good calculator for macros: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

And as far as weighing goes, I usually try to weigh myself once a week or less. Be consistent. If you weigh in first thing in the morning then you should do the same each time, as your weight can fluctuate a lot throughout the day due to what you eat and drink. Always trust the mirror over the scale, and bodyfat measurement is a good idea.

Good luck!

great answers, thanks

just a quick one about myfitnesspal, when you enter your food does it then calculate in percentage what calories are coming from fats etc?