building muscle but not losing fat!!

foxyvegan

Help! I need help. I've been vegan for ten years. Regular vegan. Always struggled with between 10 and 15 lbs, which I would lose, gain, lose, gain. I got sick of the yo yo, and decided to start really building muscle, so I recently started training hard for the first time in my life. I'm definitely building muscle -- I can see little "cuts" on my arms and shoulders that were never there before, and my quads, abs, etc. feel harder and stronger, BUT I'M NOT LOSING ANY FAT! I still have a spare tire, muffin top, and fat on my hips. And the scale hasn't moved. People tell me to use how my clothes fit as a gauge... and they're not moving either!!! I'm in my 40's and female, and probably eating around 1500 calories a day. But super clean calories - beans, legumes, fruits, veggies, nuts, nut butters, black bean pasta, veggie soups, protein shakes and bars.... What gives? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

could you possibly be eating too much of the nut butters? i know how easy it is to get carried away with them! maybes too much fat? could be worth scaling back on that and adding more protein,just a suggestion.

one last thing which i find people almost always ignore when starting any nutrition program especially a bulking program where you are eating a lot more.... another way to get rid of fat from your body especially from your stomach (as you say thats where a lot of the fat is being stored) is to make sure you are having at least 2 complete bowel movements a day! think about it all this extra waste your body produces from this it needs to come out somewhere.

peace

okay, thanks. I've always eaten a lot of fiber, fruits, and veggies, so that's never really been a problem for me, lol. I think I am going to start measuring my body, in case I can see improvements that way.

good idea, i always prefer to use tape measure and body fat calipers to know if what weight i put on is fat or fat free mass. much more reliable than the scales.

Avoid oils(fat) until you loose the weight(stored fat) and then measure oil intake with a spoon(not your eyes) OR avoid oils and consume whole food plant fats... nuts and seeds.

Consuming more fat to loose fat is counter-intuitive.

Fasting is another excellent option to learn when you're really hungry and when you are not.