Paleo Vegan

What do you think about the Paleo Vegan diet? including legumes left in water 24hours without cooking? Eating a lot of nuts and seeds, a lot of fruits and veggies.. no cooked stuff no cereals, only carbs from fruits.

Seems like a nice diet, but is it suitable for those who dream about becoming a powerlifter in the future?

I would like to hear some opinions!!

Hi Eden,

Why no cooked foods?

Am kinda on the fence with this one, I like the idea of eating whole natural foods and what have you, BUT, I cant help but notice that not one of the paleo diets biggest promoters (Cordain, Wolf, Sisson, De Vany) are qualified nutritionist, they are advising outside of their actual field of expertise...(probably with financial gain in mind).

i dont know i feel like i enjoy more raw food, but i tried a few days this paleo and ate raw sprouted legumes as some vegan paleos advice, but i felt really bad nausea for 2 days diarrhea and hunger loss.. i am following the warrior diet now and during the overeating phase i eat a lot of raw greens, nuts seeds fruits and add cooked proteins like some burgers or red lentils and a protein shake to reach my daily protein needs.. i feel way much better..

Hey Eden,

That's cool, a little cooked food will do ya no harm:)

I've tried the warrior diet myself, i like Ori's theory behind the warrior diet, and his anti estrogen diet book, but for me, it was a bit too hard to stick with long term (i now no why). I've went back to using the 5:2 diet plan, ie limiting calories to only 600 on fasting days. I think the reason why the warrior diet (20hr undereating phase, 4 hr overeating phase) is because naturally, i'm not much of a "feaster", am more a "constant carver" so limiting calories to only 600 2 days a week is for me a little more doable.

Best of luck

Rob

Hey Rob thats great to read you tried this diet want to share some of your opinions?

I have been overweight after an injury in march in which was avoided to do sports before the end of my recovery which was in october.. I gained something like 10 kg more, i tried the warrior diet for 5 days and lost 3 kg, but i am a bit concerned about a few things:

- during the overeating i cannot eat all my daily calories

- the day after when i workout i feel very very warm when before i didnt even have a drop of sweat, my heart goes very very fast and sometimes (for example doing squats) i feel like losing my senses(during the workout i drink 1 big bottle of water with multivitamin and 8g of BCAA), i asked to other people who follow TWD and they said is normal the first days.. i hope so

- are the kg i lost from bodyfat or muscles?

In a few days i will buy the book so maybe they will have everything explained there, but some tips would be great

Thanx Rob!

ps during the undereating phase i do not have small raw snacks like Ori says, because i know that if i eat 1 celery stick then i want to eat everything so i just keep my stomach closed

Hey Eden,

Sound's like your brain may be deprived of too much glucose, especially if your not able to consume a sufficient number of calories in your overeating phase.

The research show's that natural feasters are able to overeat because they have low levels of two particular hormones, namely GLP-1 and PYY, they are what signals our brain to tell us were full. Since I've never liked eating massive meals (even after a day's fasting), I've came to the logical conclusion that I must have normal levels of these hormones. My brother on the other hand will fast all day and then polish of 3000+ calories in one sitting at night (btw, hes fat). Of course, super huge meals of 1000+ calories trigger's a heavy insulin response, this is why most reputable nutritionist recommend consuming smaller, more regular meals, with carb's coming from low glycemic sources such as beans, whole grains, fruits and vegatables etc. (Yes this contradicts what I've said in past posts, but I've turned a counter in this last few months:)

The number ONE factor in any fat loss program, is the maintenance of lean muscle tissue, the second most important thing is the fat loss itself, it's important to remember the order of these factors. In the first few weeks you'll more than likely lose mostly water, after that it will mostly come from fat.

To do this, make sure and...

- keep your workouts intense, but brief and infrequent

- Eat carbohydrate rich meals (Carb's are hydrated carbon atoms, remember, muscle is mostly water. Carbs also have a protein sparring effect) with ample amounts protein and fats.

- Drink your water ice cold to enhance fat burning.

- Take after dinner walks to enhance fat burning.

- Get plenty of sleep, extra sleep if possible.

- Avoid excessive cardio sessions.

I would strongly recommend you read exercise Dr Darden's book "the bodyfat breakthrough", Dr D has been conducting fat loss and muscle building research for over 4 decades, he was also a competitive natural bodybuilder for 10 years, so he know's were the strength athlete is coming from. His latest study had the biggest fat losses (with muscle retention and gain) ever recorded, (several of the participants were vegans or vegetarians), brilliant book. Unlike Hofmekler and many others like him (paleo and fad diet promoters), Darden is actually qualified to dispense nutritional advise:)

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself the question, is warrior diet way of eating something you can sustain longterm? OR is it better to stick with the basic eating plan that is better suited to your physiology and lifestyle, and thus, something you can stick with long term.

Hope this helps

Rob

wow rob thanks for all the tips!!

I have recently started to use MYFITNESSPAL to track my macros and calories, considering that i am doing the warrior diet (i start to eat at 6pm and finish almost at 7:30pm) what do you think about this meal?

I start with

SALAD:

spinach raw 50g

carrots 200g

cucumber 50g

sunflower seeds 20g

almonds 20g

COOKED MEAL:

quinoa 50g

red lentils 50g

olives Tofu 200g

pepper 100g

brown mushrooms 50g

broccoli 100g

Shake:

Pea protein 80g

2 bananas

1 red apple

1800 kcal

187 carbs

57 fat

129 proteins

I am 23yrs old 180cm x 88kg i calculated 20% fat mass

I am doing strength training so squat, bench press, bb row, deadlift, and OHP

Hey Eden,

Looks good, nice ratio's...

I use to have 2 spoonful's of coconut oil mid morning, and or one scoop of protein powder, seemed to help take the edge of little, i found as long as the small snacks were low in carbohydrate it didn't seem to stimulate my appetite. Then carb backload later.

Are you training fasted?

Hey Rob,

During the fasting i only drink coffee water and tea, i eat nothing, except after the workouts i drink protein shake with 1 banana

Yes i always train fasted but i think i will go a bit higher with calories because i am already fasting and i am afraid to waste energy and strength if i have such amount of calories

• 2 months later...
Hi Eden,

Why no cooked foods?

Am kinda on the fence with this one, I like the idea of eating whole natural foods and what have you, BUT, I cant help but notice that not one of the paleo diets biggest promoters (Cordain, Wolf, Sisson, De Vany) are qualified nutritionist, they are advising outside of their actual field of expertise...(probably with financial gain in mind).

that is true and something to think about. They are promoters but would argue they have expert advisors. I still see no reason to go all raw. I think keeping a good amount raw is a good idea. Some foods are best cooked.