what to eat to get lean?

kathymtns

I am really struggling for a long time. I did the Mcdougall diet for a while and lost 30 lbs. in the past( that was about 2 yrs. ago). Then I stopped losing weight , so I went a different direction and thought my body needed some more healthy fats and more protein rich foods. So I did my own thing for a while. I am a 46 yr. old female and weigh 164 lbs. I am trying to get down to 145 lbs. and get some nice lean muscle.

I get confused if I should eat more protein type foods or go back to the Mcdougall type diet. I would love some help. I am so frustrated with not losing this weight. I have some good muscle, but it is not defined like I want and all my fat is around my stomach. Please help.

Kathy

Here is my workout schedule-

Monday: back, bicep and abs

Tue: legs, glutes and a 15 min HIIT training on the stationary bike

Wed: chest, triceps and abs

Thurs: 45 min. steady state cardio

Friday: shoulders and 20 min. HIIT workout

Sat: 40 min. steady state cardio

I am healing my ankle from a bad sprain. It has been 7 weeks and it is still not fully recovered. I am going in on Wednesday to get it rechecked. So for right now I am doing a lot of stationary bike workouts. I was doing some ellitpical, but it seems to be bothering it.

I would really love some help in losing this last bit of weight. Here is an example of what I ate today- ( I went grocery shopping today because I was running low on food, but this is close to what I eat)

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked gluten free oatmeal with pumpkin, hemp seeds and stevia

S: post workout: half of large green smoothie- spinach, strawberries, almond butter, almond milk and sun warrior protein powder

L: homemade hummus with rice crackers, other half of green smoothie

S: green juice, couple of handfuls of popchips( sea salt)

D: hashbrowns, green beans, refried beans with salsa

S: gluten free oatmeal with a banana

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like you're eating enough. With not enough calories to sustain your normal body functions, it will go into starvation mode and hold on to everything. Try to calculate your caloric needs (your RMR) that's how much your body needs to just function, without any training. Throw in what you lose by training, add it in, then create your deficit but don't go under your RMR. www.iifym.com is a good tool for all these calculations.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't go straight to eating at bmr calories you will end up gaining weight becuase of your almost in starvation mode. I would add calories slowly over weeks and keep track how your weight is doing each week. After a long cut I always reverse diet back up to maintence calories to avoid putting on unwanted weight from jumping my calories straight to maintence.