how much soya is too much soya?

green ape

Hi all

I've started a keto diet lately to try and bring down my body fat from about 20% to early teens.

I'm eating about 200-300g tofu a day. I'm also thinking of switching from a rice/pea protein blend to a soya/pea protein blend to bring down my carb intake further.

What are your thoughts on this? too much soya? does too much soya carry health risks?

Thanks!

I personally think going into ketosis is retarded but whatever go ahead and ignore basic human physiology. I would urge you to not do a low carb diet and deprive your body from the fuel it was designed to burn. Carbs are high octane and the foods that contain it also deliver a multitude of other precious nutrients.

Soy on the other hand is God's gift to vegan athletes. It's a perfect protein and please don't buy the phytoestrogen myth propagated by the Weston A Price Foundation.

http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/vegan-doctor-addresses-soy-myths-and-misinformation/

Copy and paste that in your browser and have a good read.

Also check out plantpositive's amazingly informative videos on utube regarding lowcarbers.

There are no benefits of low carb diets. Don't buy the hype.

I think your overall plan is bad...lol.

1. You can get to single digit BF numbers easy without keto. Simply put yourself on a slight deficit diet, lift, and do cardio (as necessary) and you'll be healthier, stronger, and you won't stink like acetone.

2. 200-300g of soy is insane...I try to limit soy to 60-80g/day. I don't think you're exposing yourself to health risks, but I strongly believe your physical performance will be improved by getting your protein from a variety of sources...which means putting some limits on soy.

Why would getting the majority of protein from soy be bad? There is no evidence that it would be. Yes 2-300g is ridiculous but how about 80-100? I'm actually probably closer to 80 with about 60 coming from oats and other plants.

Btw getting BF down to low teens with a whole foods plant based high carb diet is easy. You don't even have to think about diet just training and you'll get there if you're following the diet. Getting to less than 10% is harder and then might require macros cycling on training vs rest days, IF or both.

thanks for your reply and advice jmf.

I lost 28lb fat and gained 7lb lean mass more or less over the last 2 years doing high carb/low fat with a caloric deficit, 3-4 workouts a week, martial arts training twice a week, and around 100km a week cycling. I seem to have plateu'd with body fat %, hence trying the keto/low carb to cut the extra pounds.

200g (organic) tofu doesn't look that much to me, I don't eat any processed soy products,,

and I'm combining it with other sources such as seeds,nuts,leafy greens, pea and rice protein. I dont react well to beans and wheat gluten so they're not really an option as a protein source

Why would getting the majority of protein from soy be bad? There is no evidence that it would be. Yes 2-300g is ridiculous but how about 80-100? I'm actually probably closer to 80 with about 60 coming from oats and other plants.

In my initial post I meant 200-300g soy/tofu (25% of my protein intake), not 200-300g of protein from soy...

thanks for your reply and advice jmf.

I lost 28lb fat and gained 7lb lean mass more or less over the last 2 years doing high carb/low fat with a caloric deficit, 3-4 workouts a week, martial arts training twice a week, and around 100km a week cycling. I seem to have plateu'd with body fat %, hence trying the keto/low carb to cut the extra pounds.

So, you were on a low fat (IOW fat deficient) diet and your progress stagnated...no surprise there. So, your remedy is to try a different type of macro deficiency??? First of all, if you want to lose bodyfat, you don't run a low fat diet...and if you have a relatively high activity level, the last thing you want to do is cut carbs. I think your overall strategies are are ill conceived. First, balance your diet. Put in a calculated calorie deficiency, with respect to your TDEE level. Have you researched the concept of refeeding? ...you should be doing it running a calorie deficit diet.

Too many times do I see someone on here posting away on some extreme or nutrient deficient diet...and they're wondering why their results are poor/stagnated, or they have persistent aches, pains, and injuries. I know...I've been there. As vegans, we are already somewhat extreme...take it to the "next level" and our "healthy" lifestyle can turn into the opposite.

Well, there is plenty of evidence and opinions saying lots of soy is good / bad. I'm usually around 60-80 grams of soy per day, with my total protein intake being around 230-250g. At one point I tried getting all my protein from soy (3-4 month period)...the best way to explain my experience would be to say my protein simply wasn't there...if that makes sense. (couldn't gain) I diversify my protein now.