Solid diet recommendations for gains?

Neutral

Hi everyone, first post (:

I'm looking to get some sound advice on what kind of day to day meals I should be making that suit my goals.

I'm a 26 year old male. 5"11. About 150 pounds. I've been working out probably 4-5 years, very happy with my progress as I have good definition. I'm looking to start adding some more muscle though.

Currently I eat oats and fruit for breakfast. And the rest of the day my meals are lentils or quinoi mixed with frozen veggies and fresh cut salsa.

Everything I've learned about fitness if thanks to scooby (scoobysworkshop.com if you're unfamiliar) and I was using his custom meal planner today trying to come up with a better meal plan since I know mine isn't great. According to his findings I can no longer include lentils in my diet as it breaks my caloric budget per meal. Beans upset my stomach so I'm left with protein powders which isn't ideal.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone can recommend where I should start to get closer to a meal plan that works for me? I'd greatly appreciate any book recommendations, videos, websites, blogs etc anything that can educate me on the topic.

Thank you!

There is nothing wrong with protein powders. As a vegan who wants to gain lean body mass, you probably won't be able to ignore the necessity, effectiveness, or convenience of implementing a protein supplement into your diet.

Of course, anything you read, hear, or told is going to be very generic...so you're going to have to start with a generic plan, EXECUTE the plan for a reasonable amount of time, MEASURE the results, then re-evaluate and revise your plan. Most people totally screw up the execution part...IOW, stick to the plan and give it time to work.

This would be just one opinion: I'm guessing your TDEE is probably around 2200 kcal/day. You don't need to eat well above your TDEE to gain lean mass, but I do believe that properly balancing your macro nutrients is important. So, I'd start with your calculated (estimated) TDEE and think of protein and fat as minimum targets as follows.

75g fat (~1/3 of this should be saturated fat...tough for vegans to achieve, and watch your Omega 3 / 6 ratios)

150g protein

Now, fill the rest in with carbs. In the case of 2200 kcal/day, you would be eating 230g of net carbs.

Now, as for your actual meals...simply pick the foods that fit whatever numbers you choose! It takes planning on your part...a book can give you ideas, but it won't do the planning for you.