keto diet for vegans?

kathymtns

i have heard of people doing it on reddit... no idea myself... i think it would be very difficult to do it on vegan diet....not many vegan foods are high fat low carbs, best (and worst) bet would be relying on supplements for it... keto is pretty gross

• 2 months later...

The Ketogenic Diet was developed in the 30's. It was used to reduce diabetic symptoms. And it worked. Then it was discovered to help alleviate seizures. Before big meds were developed to be used on individuals with seizure disorder, the Ketogenic Diet helped seizure patients. It is still used today for individuals who do not respond to their meds. (Makes you wonder why they do not use it in the first place?)

It is a high fat diet, Atkins on dianabol. Can a vegan do it? I am guessing no.

I think it is do-able, I have read diet plans where people do it, very very tough though. If you are just doing it for weight loss purposes its kind of hooey. In most studies a well controlled vegan diet outperforms low/no carb diets every time. The reason you lose alot of weight really quickly when you go keto is that you run out of glycogen in your body which is hydrophilic aka it attracts water. So when you run out of glycogen and go keto your body dumps a ton of water. Thats why most people who go keto gain back almost all of the weight instantly when they come back off it.

If you are crazy keen on fast weight loss in a ketogenic form, there is the velocity diet. Which is essentially you drink 5 protein shakes/day (easily made protein) and then have 1 full meal a week. You do it for a month I believe? and you lose a ton of weight but you feel like hell (one guys gums started bleeding like crazy), but if you are in a rush. I have lost 25 lbs in 7 weeks before just by reducing calories and increasing activity, without dying.

That was a lot in there, hope that helps