Help!

I reverted back to veganism in mid January. My energy levels were better than ever, my weight lifting abilities and strength stayed consistent for a few weeks. Lately I have felt down, tired and unfocused on lifting or even making it to the gym. I know stress and other factors in my day to day are contributing to this, but I'm getting frustrated. I've been binging and have been finding it hard to form proper meals and proper amounts. It was so easy in the past to grab a Greek yogurt and a protein bar to hit my macros and feel lean. I could balance chicken, rice and veggies. I'm 5'5 and on a "standard bodybuilding" diet I was starting to see definition, weight loss and muscle gain and was feeling the best I had in a long time. I don't want to give up on veganism but I am now seeing fat come back and have gained 4 pounds and am sitting at 143. Any advice and motivation would be sincerely appreciated. I can't seem to stop overeating, even thought it is primarily clean, vegan foods.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Sorry for lag in messaging. Life..

So...need more info, but a few comments too..

First, it's April, you mentioned getting back to vegan in mid-January. Not a long time, and (if you're like me and were raised omni)...old habits die hard. There's the initial veg/vegan diet change....and later on lifestyle change. So don't worry much about all that. It can be 'easy' after a long time of learning, and all the marketing, to come up with a calorie and nutrient sufficient diet without much thinking.

When I first went veg, pretty easy...lots of meat alternatives to fill the gap, and the usual processed stuff.

When I went vegan, that took some more focused relearning not just about nutrition, but about as you said, making meals. Weaning off the processed stuff was another learning curve.

One thing I have learned, it's all about the micros and NOT the macros. Re-learning really. Lots of info out there...good and bad. Listen to lots of podcasts from both veg/vegans and from fitness/nutrition guru's like Mike Dolce (who's not vegan, but you can vegan up all his stuff!). Paleo....how effing poptarts can be good for you based on fitting macro profile for carbs/cals/fats/protein (but very LOW nutritional density) is deemed 'good' stumps me. Other than the 'it tastes good' category! haha.

Knowing a bit more about both what you're typically eating (and when) and what your fitness goals plus activities are will help.

Just from your description, sounds like maybe carb heavy (opps...I just said a macro word!! lol -- old habits) relative to your activity.

The over-eating thing..makes me think you're nutrient deficient. General 'hunger' is a sign that your body is needing something that it's missing from your fuel sources. That took some re-familiarization for me too. Random craving for broccoli, or a baked potato...have to listen to those. But with a little more info on your average days foods will help.

I was doing great with my weight training, and progress. But when I added in some pretty extreme MMA/Krav Maga...not only did I have to adjust what/when I was eating, but my calorie content (macro again!!!! argh!!!) because I was too low...

Live, experiment, inquire, experiment, wait 2 weeks, adjust....