High protein with low carbs?

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I have a question that I'm sure has been asked many times before but I've been unable to find any specific answers to. I've been bulking for a little while now, with some good results. However I've inevitably put on a little pudge around gut. I've been looking into reducing my carbs but keeping my protein intake up, if not increasing a little. But the problem I'm having is all the good quality proteins come laden with carbs (eg, 1/2 cup black beans - 15g protein, 41 carbs. This is the case for most beans and legumes.). Even at lunch, replacing rice and breads by with raw veg (eg. beets, sweet potatoes) and other grains (eg. chia, quinoa) are full of carbs and knocking me way over my target.

What do other on here eat in order to keep the quality proteins high but knock the carbs way down? Am I misunderstanding something when it comes to the carbs? I have some good protein powders from Protein Works and they seem quite good in terms of protein to carb ratio, but i dont want to be getting the bulk of my protein from powders, or is that just what us vegans have to do?

About my gym routine; I usually do a workout in the evening before dinner, doing a split routine and doing supersets with the occasional gymnastics rings session, and since moving onto a cut I've upped my HIIT sessions to around 20mins most days, and added about 10 - 20 mins low intensity treadmill running after most gym sessions (if I have the energy).

A little about me: I'm 5' 8", 73kg (160 lbs), not huge I know but . I have been aiming for approx 1.2 g protein at the high end per pound of body weight (so around 192 g), going for somewhere in the region of 120 - 150 g carbs. And looking to hit calories somewhere around 1600 a day (thats a deficit of 20%).

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

There aren't a lot of ways to eat very high protein, very low carb on a vegan diet. Tons of soy products or protein powders are about the only things you can do.

I think something that people in general don't understand is that bodybuilding and diets with very unbalanced macros are more or less unnatural (depending on how extreme the practice), so people who do these things have to eat unnaturally.

For non-vegans, that means eating insane amounts of flesh and powders. For vegans, that means eating insane amounts of soy and powders. I don't see that there is any way around this except moderating the diet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm in the same situation, and this is what I found:

-Dehydrated textured pea protein: https://www.boutique-vegan.com/en/food/veggie-meat/meat-alternatives-dried/miigan-Pea-Protex-Mince-500g.html

-Dehydrated textured soy protein: https://www.boutique-vegan.com/en/food/veggie-meat/meat-alternatives-dried/miigan-Soy-Protex-Strips-2-5kg.html

-Seitan: https://www.boutique-vegan.com/en/food/Seitan.html

-Tempeh: https://www.boutique-vegan.com/en/food/seitan-tofu-tempeh/KATO-Temp-Plain.html

-Tofu: https://www.boutique-vegan.com/en/food/Real-Smoked-Tofu.html

The links are from a french/deutsch shop because I'm french, but maybe you can find similar products in your country.

• 4 weeks later...

I completely agree this is not a natural or even healthy eating plan for meat or non meat eaters. it's all about aesthetics not about health. you just need to figure out which one you want more. being female it's very hard to realize that having fat on my body is just part of life, but sadly i get so focused on wanting no fat and no cellulite when I should just focus on my health/strength. f-ing media

There aren't a lot of ways to eat very high protein, very low carb on a vegan diet. Tons of soy products or protein powders are about the only things you can do.

I think something that people in general don't understand is that bodybuilding and diets with very unbalanced macros are more or less unnatural (depending on how extreme the practice), so people who do these things have to eat unnaturally.

For non-vegans, that means eating insane amounts of flesh and powders. For vegans, that means eating insane amounts of soy and powders. I don't see that there is any way around this except moderating the diet.

• 3 months later...

High protein with low carbs/fat is known as rabbit starvation. Ketosis works best with sufficient fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrates. Too much protein = too much gluconeogenesis and therefore too much glucose which prevents ketosis.

It takes our mitochondria a couple of weeks to efficiently burn long chain fatty acids as fuel and not feel weak. Heavy legs are an indication of no glycogen stores and on the right path towards burning fat as fuel. Then comes the bad breath as the microorganisms that grow on sugar die off. Then clear skin that looks 10 years younger sets in.

Fasting and/or sleeping for a couple of days is the best way to get into ketosis. Once in ketosis; it is best not to carb load as it can cause temporary shaking (ketoacidosis). Ketoacidosis is too many ketones and glucose in the blood at once.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR1FCJS8DoM