New You for the New Year Contest 3

Either its so long ago that I can't remember, or I never noticed any changes. I was already a quasi vegetarian around the last year of my vegetarianism, but doing drugs & spiraling down. I decided to get my life in order, quit the drugs, eat better, take my supplements and become a better vegetarian. Then I discovered Veganism & never looked back. All that to say, there was so much going on as far as physical changes, that I couldn't attribute any in particular to Veganism.

What I can say is, I still feel amazing with each vegan meal I eat, each vegan product I buy, each time I do anything really that is related to animal rights. I'm part of the solution and its so uplifting, even after over 13 years.

I am not 100% vegan but with the things i have stopped eating i have seen changes.

One is that i don't get gout like i use to. I have been in less pain then i was a year ago. Also i see the weight coming off a lot better then before. I do feel that i have a bit more energy. I feel that i can start to do things that i thought that i could not do before.

Miguel

Once I went totally vegan (had been vegetarian for a couple years before that), it really changed my mental outlook the most. I saw the suffering all around me even more acutely than before, and it led me to question so many things! Not just about what I eat, wear, products I use, etc. but it also resulted in some larger contemplation about society in general, how we use animals, impact of diet on the planet, what's considered healthy and why, etc. And it's made living in the Midwest a lot harder, TBH.

Woop. This forum is epic! Everyone here is inspirational!

I found that i felt cleaner! Less junk in gave me more energy and a clearer head!

I also found that in the beginning meat eaters would just think that you would become this pasty weakling.! Lucky it wasn't the case, i am 100% fitter than i ever was on a meat diet!

Going from unhealthy vegetarian to clean-eating vegan (about a year ago) made a huge difference in my energy levels and overall physical well being. I had chronic indigestion from dairy, gluten and soy so bad that I basically had a 24-7 stomach ache. After getting off those foods I had a new found overall feeling of wellness and happiness. It was so great not to feel horrible after every meal. Plus my energy shot through the roof. My body fat quickly dropped from 18% down to 10% in a matter of a few months. Also my athletic recovery got INSANE. I no longer got sore.

I hope who ever wins enjoys the prize!

We have a winner!

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences becoming vegan! This serves the community well. It's not just a contest to award a prize to someone, but also acts as a place to read dozens of stories from people from all over the world.

We appreciate you sharing!

Winners are picked at random by one of the organizers of this challenge and we appreciate all of you entering. Stay tuned for more biweekly contests and prizes.

Today's winner of the No Meat Athlete t-shirt and ebook generously donated by http://www.nomeatathlete.com, and the Food Fight Grocery stainless steel water bottle generously donated by http://www.foodfightgrocery.com goes to forum member: Ojibwa!

And what did Ojibwa say about her vegan lifestyle?

"I had diabetes and sky-high cholesterol, even after losing 83 pounds and working out three days a week for five years. I tried the low carb diet and it did nothing but make things worse. So I decided to give a vegan diet a try for three months. Truth is, I was actually hoping it would NOT work. I couldn't imagine life without meat, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. But after three months, my blood sugar was completely normal and my A1c's were normal, too. My doctor was blown away and so was I. I thought that being vegan would be hard and boring, but I have tried more different kinds of foods in the last year and a half than I ever did before. I have so much more energy and I can train even harder. The biggest surprise was my last visit to the eye doctor. Seems diabetes makes your lenses hold water and makes your vision worse. So now that I am no longer diabetic, my eyesight has improved drastically. Instead of a 2.0 and a 2.5 in my prescription, I have a 1.0 and a 1.5! I'm enjoying all kinds of exotic new foods (to me, anyway!), and I am so happy to have conquered diabetes. I watched my dad die a slow horrible death from complications of diabetes, and being vegan is NOTHING compared to that. I am enjoying life with my husband and my grandkids, and looking forward to being healthy and happy for however many more years God grants me."

We will announce Contest #4 in a few days, likely on Tuesday. Check back for updates.

Note: All biweekly prizes will be shipped in the first week of February when all contests are completed.

Thanks again!

-Robert, Karen and Richard