a new start

Ran 2.5 mls in 30 mins again. It was hard to slow myself enough to stay in the 160s and I didn't drop into the 150s after the 2nd lap. The late afternoon Sun was blazing, though it's only 78f. (66% humidity) In consideration of the recent mentions of the Sun factor here, I'll conclude: Earlier in the day and less Sun make my run a lot easier both for HR and effort expended. I need to further improve my stretching routines, though I've improved a little.

Lentil soup, mung sprouts w o/v, a rice milk-banana smoothy with orange, ww toast avo/mung sprouts/mustard sandwich finished yesterday. Today's been oatmeal, chai, multi, banana, bananamana bar, smart dogs, an orange, soy milk banana smoothy. Now I'm going to have some psylium, then chai.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to post yesterday!

Wed finished w/ mung sprouts & o/v, steamed cabbage w/marg, ww/almond-butter/vegan cheese.

Yesterday cream of wheat & marg, chai, papadam & vegan cheese, 2 Dr Weil bars, ban/soymilk smoothy, hash browns, samosa turnover (white flour), 100% rye w/veg cheese/onion, rye/pb. (Too much!)

Today, chai, psylium, (no breakfast) falafel sandwich. Next OJ!

2.5 mls took 30 minutes again today. The Sun was brutal at 2pm. My HR stayed in the 150s after the 2nd lap, rarely hitting 160, except for during paces. (2 x 50 yds in the final lap) It was hard to pick up the pace at all. My HR was down notably from the last run, which was of equal duration and distance, however.

Rye/alf o/v sandwich, OJ, 4 tofurky kielbasa w/cabbage yesterday. Chai, ww/almond butter, multi so far today. I'm wondering if I'll need to rest an extra day tomorrow, so I can heal up. I've had an increasing problem with the left inner hip/pelvis this week and feel old getting up from not moving for a while. I need more stretches!

Took the day off from my scheduled running to allow my hip to recover, which isn't very bad, but has been warning me for several runs. I read a lot of The Complete Idiots Guide to Running by Bill Rogers.

Yesterday I had alf sprout/onion/mustard/ww sandwich, black bean soup, potato-yam homefries, 1/2 a stout, 1 dr Weir bar, a lot of greasy, salty home made tortilla chips and salsa. Today I had choclate chai and psylium in the morning, then an ear of steamed corn and broccoli w/marg, 1/2 a pack of gimelean sausage, a big salad of homegrown lettuce, mung sprouts, carrots, o/v.

Another day off from running, as my hip is worse than I knew and I don't feel I should ignore it any longer. Running with moderate/low pain again proved counterproductive for me, as it was when I got the shin splint in April. The bump on the shin, where I understand tendons reattached them selves, has been painless and slowly disappearing for a couple of months. This hip thing has got me hobbling a bit now as I try and work carrying a load or when I get up from bed, etc. I don't want to lose the time I did on the shin splint with this, so I'm going to stop running for a short while.

Yesterday I finished eating with ryekrisp, nayonaise, vegan cheese. This morning I had ww/pb/ban and chai for breakfast with the multi and later psylium. I had a masala burger for lunch and ww/vegan cheese/nayonaise/mung sprouts later with more chai.

Reader, you and I are both liberated from my daily food lists. Here are crucial things my log did and did not reveal. During the day I need to eat more food, more frequently and at night I need to cut off solid food by 8pm. I need to reduce wheat flour and bread in particular. Vegetables need to be dramatically increased, including sprouts. I need less bananas and more temperate zone fruits. I need less cooking oil and salt. Portions of some items need to be drastically reduced. (I'm talking to you potatoes!)

Today I took still another day off from running, because of this left hip thing. Tomorrow I'm going to the chiropractor about it. I think it's getting better, but tomorrow I know it will be mending correctly. I realized from a little reading on running, that my problems so far have come from pushing it a bit too hard for my present condition. I took a long while declining in athleticism, I know now that I need to take a little time to get restarted. A long term, sustainable habit is my goal and injuries can take the wind out of my sails. My cardiopulmonary system survived a little overtraining, but 1st my shin, and now my hip has not. I consider them warning shots over the bow.

Sounds like we definitely have the same diet, except my carb of choice is brown rice, not potatoes. I also need more veggies, less margarine/oil, and less salt. Sorry to hear about your hip, hopefully you'll be back to running soon. I think the problem with running is that you get so excited when you get less tired, and can go further/faster, that you then tend to start overdoing it, and are more likely to get injured. At least that's what I seem to do!

My hip has been the bane of my existence for months now. First hip flexors, now butt/hip area. You're right to back off and let it rest. Let us know what your chiro says about it. I'm debating whether to go to the sports medicine dr. or not for my current situation.

Also, good assessment on the diet. Make sure you include leafy greens in there too!

My chiropractor adjusted the hip and spine and I felt immediate relief. I think I'll be running again in a couple of days. Next week I'll visit her again. I dropped 5 lbs this week. When I stopped running after my shin splint injury I also lost five pounds quickly. Were it not for cleaning up my diet, running would increase my weight! In livestock terms, many Lithuanians are "good keepers." (hold weight easily, anabolic tendency) So, I'm down 20 lbs since April. Since I will have taken off a week if I start running again Saturday and I took off 6 weeks for the shin splint, I've moved my goal of 85kg to 7 weeks past my birthday, into late September.

It's been almost a week since I ran, but, my diet is excellent, the hip is improving, and I have tons of cases of groceries to move, stacking and unstacking, then 120 deliveries tomorrow. Enjoy your lunacy this full moon!

Ran two miles but forgot to check the time before I started. I kept a good pace and stayed in the 160s HR range, slowing to walk a few steps when I'd slip over 170. I felt strong getting started and the hip only protested a tiny bit in the beginning. I enjoyed a couple of Sun salutations as a warm up and loved a walking lap after jogging 8. It felt like a "reward." I ran a couple of 50 yd strides on the 8th lap, which put me over 170 HR. I increased the time stretching, after the cool down walk, which felt great. I'm going to hang out at 2 miles until my hip is fully recovered. We delivered 1800 lbs of groceries to 120 apartments yesterday, with no a.c., so I sweat my clothes soaked for a couple of hours. It was certainly exercise. My diet is great, with decreased calories.

Have you tried a heating pad or something to warm up the hip in the morning or 15 mins or so before running? That might get the hip feeling a little better before putting stress on it. Also some type of compress at night might be another good idea. Oh well something to consider.

Hip resented the run a little, but not too bad.

Added Triphala to my daily regime, a standard Ayurvedic herbal powdered mix. ("3 fruits")

Thanks for the support folks, which has been important to my getting off to a good start.

Ran 2 mls in 22 min, slowing as much as I could to try and keep the HR under 160. The hip only protested for the first half lap. Yesterday I barely noticed the hip injury. Enjoyed a ninth "victory lap" walk to cool down, then did maybe 10 min of stretches. Did a few minutes of stretches before the run too.

It's frustrating, and I'll admit, I don't always follow my own advice, but sometimes you just have to stay off it completely and let your body do its thing. I struggled for months with my hip flexor and it only healed entirely when I got sick and couldn't run for three weeks. I haven't had a problem with it since. It's so hard, but try to be patient.

Thanks Pamela. I don't have a reason to not do yoga or weight train, though. I should at least be working on my cascading gut!

If you can do yoga and weight training then all the better! I meant staying off of the injured body part. and LOL at cascading gut.