Penguin lifting weights (HC-PG)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My program needs work. As I had none. Just did things that crossed my mind at that time... As I just wanted to go back to the gym, without thinking much of it.

Not in any specific order:

Deadlift (didn't count the reps) with 35kg and 40kg

Legpress (with the hardest possible setting) 10 x 65kg, 10 x 70kg

Legpress, calves 10 x 80kg, 10 x 90kg, 6 x 100kg (got bored)

Pec deck (or something like that) 1 x 25kg (:lol:), 6 x 20kg, 5 x 20kg

"Shoulder press" (?) (with dumbbells) 10 x 5kg, 10 x 6kg (this killed my arms for few minutes, honestly)

Close-grip Pulldown 3 sets, didn't count the reps (something between 6-10) 30kg, 40kg, 35kg

Cable pushdown 3 (sets) x 10 (reps) 25,30,25

Dumbbell Triceps Extension 10 x 8kg

Bicep curls (first time since I started going in the gym) 10 x 6kg

Cable side bend (forgot to write this down, while there and I don't remember the weights)

Exrx.net was quite helpful with the names. I was going to do some others, but my hands went sore quickly, so free weights were really difficult to handle.

Totally random. I might sort this program out tomorrow... Maybe. I'd need a private tutor. lol

That seems like a good training

Better than what I do, since I only got a 15 lbs dumbell, a 2 dumbbells of 3 lbs ! lol

Totally random. I might sort this program out tomorrow... Maybe. I'd need a private tutor. lol
I apply to be your private tutor

If your hands are finished before the rest of the body and that makes you stop, I suggest you to try some grip exercices. There's an old topic on the forum with tips, don't know if we can find it. Otherwise, try buying a gripper, usually very cheap and you can practice it anywhere, anytime. Or some kind of a ball. Or a wrist roller. Or at the gym, if you can roll a cloth on the bar, it makes it harder to hold it, but after one or two sessions like this your hands are stronger.

That's good I'm glad you like your training.

That seems like a good training

Better than what I do, since I only got a 15 lbs dumbell, a 2 dumbbells of 3 lbs ! lol

I apply to be your private tutor

If your hands are finished before the rest of the body and that makes you stop, I suggest you to try some grip exercices. There's an old topic on the forum with tips, don't know if we can find it. Otherwise, try buying a gripper, usually very cheap and you can practice it anywhere, anytime. Or some kind of a ball. Or a wrist roller. Or at the gym, if you can roll a cloth on the bar, it makes it harder to hold it, but after one or two sessions like this your hands are stronger.

That's good I'm glad you like your training.

And here I was a bit worried that you'd be critical towards my funny program.

It wasn't that my arms would be too tired, it was because of callouses and because the skin in my palms got really sore. Would maybe need some gloves, as I haven't gotten used to this still.

You can apply by written application, dropped in my mailbox by tomorrow.

I try to come up with a program I could do like 4 times a week. Like two INTENSE workouts and two less intense. Let's see, how I like that.

HCP, at first your routine sounded hardcore. Clean and Press and Full Squats. Drop the Pec Deck and Leg Press from your routine and don't wear gloves unless you want to be a bodybuilder. You should see the callouses on my hands. I know women who sandpaper the callouses off of their hands. HTFU!

HCP, at first your routine sounded hardcore. Clean and Press and Full Squats. Drop the Pec Deck and Leg Press from your routine and don't wear gloves unless you want to be a bodybuilder. You should see the callouses on my hands. I know women who sandpaper the callouses off of their hands. HTFU!

I know, it sounds not-HC right now. I wasn't really into Clean and Presses and Full squats today at the gym (I do full squats often at home with BW). And Pec deck was there, 'cause I couldn't get to bench press. It was so crowded.

But IYM is going to design me a program now, so I'll be in good hands from now on. And I try to get the Clean and Press into my program too. Maybe...

e. I have to say that my technique for that Clean and Press was sooooo not good.

Today my gym day looked like this:

Dips 2 x 6

Weighted Hyperextension 2 x 10 with 10kg, 15kg

Bench press 10 x 15kg, 25kg x FAIL (but it was SO close), 1 x 22,5kg, 8 x 20kg

Shoulder press 10 x 15kg, 10 x 17,5kg, 7 + 8 x 20kg

Good morning 2 x 10 x 20kg

Negative reps of chin-ups 6

Incline Bench Press 4 x 6kg (db)

bicep curl 10 x 6kg

Incline Sit-ups, 2 x 10

Dumbbell Triceps Extension 8 x 8kg, 10 x 7kg

legpress 10 x 70kg

Calves with legpress 10 x 100kg

Pulldown, close-grip 5 x 40kg, 10 x 35kg

Pulldown, wide grip 6 x 30

So here's my yesterday:

Monday 3rd Nov

Warm-up with elliptical trainer, 5 minutes.

Clean & Press, 8 x 15kg, 8 x 20kg, some reps with 15kg again

Hurt my back with that for the next 30 minutes. I'm never doing Clean and presses again.

Squat 6 x 15kg, 12 x BW, 12 x BW

At first I did some with weight, but as my back hurt, I gave up and did them slowly, with bodyweight only.

Pulldowns close grip 8x 35kg, 8 x 40kg

Front Pulldown 8 x 35kg, 8 x 30

Now I realised I mistakenly did pulldowns instead of pullovers. Maybe I'll fix that tomorrow...

Bench Press 6 x 20kg, 4 x 25kg (PB!!!), 6 x 22,5kg

I was really suprised how easy it was to make those four reps as I wasn't that sure about my strength after I had hurt my back. But I managed and I'm so fucking proud of myself.

Deadlift 10 x 30kg, 10 x 30kg

Good Morning Attempted, but it was no good.

Barbell curls 12 x 15kg, 10 17,5kg

But somehow I didn't manage to do it with 20kg, but I might remember wrong...

Leg press, for calves 19 x 85kg, 16 x 75kg

I was a bit too sure about myself as I was aiming for 25 reps at that first one. But it was so pleasant to do these.

sit-ups 25, 26 ("bicycle"), 25

Last one was my max. I was pretty burned out and tired so I couldn't do any more.

Dumbbell flys 10 x 3kg, 10 x 4kg

Just something I wanted to try and it was fun.

Cool, I guess you liked this program? Stop doing the clean&press, or get used to it by practicing with lighter weights. I'm doing a lot of these, and I agree it uses a lot the back, especially on just one side or another because I'm doing it with one dumbell in one arm at a time. You need to tighten all your back muscles to keep your spine straight, and with the help of your abs too (like in all exercices, and during all day for great posture )

xx

I would make some small adjustments though on your program. I said 5 minutes warm up to start. But, unless you do a very good warm-up that uses all the muscle groups, I'd sugest you to do one or two sets for each exercise just to warm-up; like if you're doing bench press, warmup with some easy push-ups or lifting the empty barbell, for 15-25 reps, or stop before it gets hard to lift. You can also do one set with a pretty heavy load, but lighter than your "real" sets.

I would make some small adjustments though on your program. I said 5 minutes warm up to start. But, unless you do a very good warm-up that uses all the muscle groups, I'd sugest you to do one or two sets for each exercise just to warm-up; like if you're doing bench press, warmup with some easy push-ups or lifting the empty barbell, for 15-25 reps, or stop before it gets hard to lift. You can also do one set with a pretty heavy load, but lighter than your "real" sets.

I'll think about it.

IYM: About an hour. Not sure, it might've taken longer.

Wednesday 5th November

I forgot my notes at home and didn't remember the program that well. But then I met Mikko and he offered to train me. Now it found out, why I hadn't heard of him for a while. As he had hurt himself badly, ripped his bicep and had a surgery and all that.

First I did Front Squats 5 x 6 @ 15kg.

Then he made me do Clean & Presses. With this barbell that weighted almost nothing. I don't even belive that it was 3kg, what he said it was. But yeah, I didn't hurt my back with it.

I did 5 x 5 Clean & Presses alternating with Overhead Press 5 x 8 @ 15kg

Then he said that he would teach me to do a Snatch. And he made me practice that part, where you're moving the barbell from below your knees to your hips/groin. And I did that for a while, 5 x 5 (with that "3kg" barbell, lol).

Then I squatted while keeping the barbell holding the barbell over my head my hands locked. 5 x 5 (he must really love that 5x5... lol).

After that I did sit-ups. 25, 25, 30 ("max") alternating with (Weighted) Back Hyperextension 20 (bw), 15 (bw), 10 (@ 10kg).

Then I did some Barbell Curls as I was waiting for him. 1 x 10 @ 15kg, 2 x 10 17,5kg.

After that he asked, if he could give me a ride. I agreed and I had to wait for him again. Men...

He asked, if I wanted to know, where he lives. But I said that the only thing in my mind right now was food as I was so hungry at that moment. He asked, what I was going to make.

"Lentils", I said. "What? What are those?" he asked suprised. "They're like peas. Packed up with protein, iron and so on", I answered. "Oh, well at least you get some veggies while at it", he gasped. I laughed and said "Well veggies are the only thing what I eat really."

"Oh, I see...."

And then after that he suggested that he would do a program for me. Even though I said that this wonderful gentleman had just made a new program for me. And he even said it like "you should drop by some time, I could make a program for you and even be your personal trainer."

Riiiiight....

And I didn't even eat lentils...

How did Mikko tear his bicep? Let me guess deadlifting using a mixed grip.

So I shouldn't use mixed grip when I'll deadlift ? Never really done a lot of deadlifts but I was planning on trying mixed grip once in a while. Why it's not safe?

Excerpt from Chad Waterbury "Muscle Revolution"
I also want you to use an overhand grip. That's with both hands. Yes, I know old-school deadlifters say to practice with the same grip you'd use in

competition—a mixed grip, one hand over the bar, one hand under—but I think it's important to use the non-mixed grip. You'll have more balanced strength in your shoulder girdle with both arms rotated the same direction, you'll develop more forearm strength, and you'll have less risk of a catastrophic injury, like a torn biceps.

Finally, don't use wrist wraps. Your hands and forearms need to handle the same loads as your extensor-chain muscles. (The one exception is for supramaximal loads, as I'll explain later in this section.)

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15678&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=a7145b8433840ddb940f64c82cbb9201

ouch Yeah I don't think I'll try that, with that grip I mean.
IYM, I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you. If you want to use a mixed grip then go for it.

The guy in the video tore his bicep pulling 436kgs which is impossible without steriods. I highly doubt you need to worry about tearing your bicep. Just add heavy curling to your routine and you'll be fine.

I'm feeling so fucked up right now. For not boxing and now, when my "personal trainer" asks me out on a date. For fuck sake, is that all what they're thinking of? Dickheads...

I read too late today that my gym is only open for 9-17 in Saturday (+ Sunday), so I didn't have the time to go to the gym today.

I guess I'll head for a walk or jog, if it isn't too slippery outside. And maybe some negative chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, bw squats etc.

Any suggestions for more?

Oh yeah, to take part to this grip-conversation. I don't really know, how he hurt his arm as he didn't tell me the details.

And I too use mixed grip, but I do use BOTH grips and not just mixed grip, when I deadlift.

I had a nice jog, with two dogs with me (they insisted coming with me) I guess I'll do those other exercises a bit later.

Now I'm going to sauna.