Hypoallergenic, vegan protein bar recipe?

RticleOne

Hey guys,

I've been thinking that I'd really enjoy a homemade bar with a lot of protein in it, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about it. Vega bars are nice, but waaay too costly around here). I'm wondering if you all could help. The criteria is as follows:

-Vegan (or vegetarian, I am open to honey, but no whey)

-20 to 25 + grams of protein per bar

-"Hypoallergenic" - in my case, meaning: no soy, no peanuts, cashews, or brazil nuts, no gluten containing grain.

-Enough carbs, though slower burning than not with just a bit of faster burning stuff for quick fuel

-Tasty

-Refrigeration not required (if possible)

-Relatively inexpensive

-More omega 3 than omega 6

Quite a list, I know. Possible ingredients that come to mind are: hemp seed, hemp protein, hemp flour, dried fruit, millet or quinoa, almond butter (ludicrously expensive, though), tahini, honey or molasses, macademia nuts, walnuts, almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, matcha green tea powder just for fun...

I'm sure that any suggestions or recipes would be most helpful. Thanks much!

R.

Edited for obvious typos.

It doesen't exist my friend.... PERIOD. I am 150% convinced that what you want does not exist.

Let's just take your 1st request alone.... 20 to 25 grams per serving.

There are only 2 bars on the market that I know of that have a minimum of 20 grams of protein. Organic Food Protein Bars and Cliff Builder Bars. I think there's 1 other that's a Soya distributed in the U.K. but that is the extent of the high protein bars PERIOD.

I'd be happy to find any bar besides the 2 that even have over 20 grams of protein, but what you're looking for does not exist.

Cliff Builder Bar has soy, Organic Food Protein Bar has lots of nut products... and you mentioned Vega, but Vega bars only have 10 grams of protein.

Thought I'd save you alot of time and hassle by telling you that you won't find it.

Thought I'd save you alot of time and hassle by telling you that you won't find it.

That's why the OP said homemade.

Yes, you can make this. You will probably benefit from a using a dehydrator.

Oats+agave+hemp/pea powder+ dried fruits+ walnuts sounds amazing.

I'm sure some people on this board have made bars before, brendan brazier used to make them, apparently, before vega came out.

Good luck let us know how it goes!

That's why the OP said homemade.

Well.... I guess I've been put in my place (insert two air snaps ) LOL

Sorry OP... I guess I was reacting to the emails that I get from people who want me to help them get "really cut" but they don't want to eat any protein, nothing artificial, no soy, no grains, no powders, only raw, nothing processed... but yes... please make them cut. My bad... ha, ha.

hey, make it and let me know how it tastes! If it's not too ing, I'll make it and eat it

There are such recipes, I looked a few years ago to try to make something similar for myself. The whole point of a protein bar is to get as much protein for as few calories as possible. With vegan and hypoallergenic ingredients you will not get a ratio similar to commercial, non vegan or vegan allergenic bars. You can get a decent "energy bar" -- a concentrated source of calories with a decent amount of protein.

You might be better off buying some rice or pea protein powder drinks and carrying them around in single servings ziplock bags.

Sorry OP... I guess I was reacting to the emails that I get from people who want me to help them get "really cut" but they don't want to eat any protein, nothing artificial, no soy, no grains, no powders, only raw, nothing processed... but yes... please make them cut. My bad... ha, ha.

I've noticed myself pulling similar maneuvers at times in my life. I've gotten to the point where I can take it with humor when I catch myself doing it.

"I want different results but I am not willing to give up anything I am doing/not doing".

Ha ha, veggieprincess, don't worry.

As for the Clif Bar, it looks great - except for the dang peanuts and soy.

Okay, 20-25 grams of protein isn't an absolute prerequisite - it was just what I thought would be an ideal amount for one "quick refuel" serving.

I've looked for protein bar recipes - they all seem rife with ingredients that are fine for someone without food allergies, but for me they're a no-no.

Hey if GinaKina or anyone does end up trying something out with safe ingredients before me and posts it up, I'll be thrilled to read about it.

Certainly it would be simplified by carrying sachets of protein powder around, though I very much like the concept of bars - no mixing in fluid needed, no cups, shakers, spoons, or anything.

Cheers,

R.ticle One

• 3 months later...

Did you ever find a recipe? If so please share, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. What I normally do is

1 cup hemp or rice milk

1/2 cup tahini butter

a little agave

1 1/2 cups rice protein powder

spread it in a cake pan and put it in the fridge.

It really doesn't taste all that great though, but it works, you can put caco on top maybe. Oats are gross with it though.

• 1 year later...

I found this as a non vegan recipe. Now it is vegan and allergy free.

Here’s your ingredients:

1. 3 TBSP Natural Nut Butter of your choice

2. 2 TBSP Rice /Almond/ Hemp Milk

3. 30g Scoop Pea and Rice Protein – The flavor of your choice. (http://www.trueprotein.com)

I just made this in like 30 seconds with crunchy pb, chocolate rice/pea protein and a splash of soymilk (no known allergies here) They taste pretty good and I will be using some form of this for years to come.

Instructions:

1. Put the nut butter and 30 grams of protein into a bowl

2. Mix together until dry and clumpy

3. Add 2 TBSP of Vegan Milk. Now it magically smooths out quickly when mixed

4. Take out of bowl and shape into a bar

5. Mix in cinnamon, stevia, whatever for preferred flavor.

6. Experiment with measurements for preferred texture.

Also, they will set more when refrigerated. I am going to make a big batch all at once, and refrigerate or freeze them to use when ready. Aluminum foil or plastic wrap would probably work for storing. These are low carb and ideal for contest prep.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I saw this in whole foods:

http://www.organicfoodbar.com/products/Protein

22 grams.

INGREDIENTS

Organic Almond Butter, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Dates, Organic Premium Blue Agave Nectar, Organic Bio SproutsTM – Flax, Organic BiodynamicTM (Demeter) Raisins, Organic Sesame Seeds and Lots of Love!

I order these by the 12-pack at Amazon. Love them. I actually just got a Vitamix today and was going to experiment trying to duplicate these bars myself. Could take a while to get the quantities right though haha. Avoiding soy, and still getting enough protein, is always a challenge for me. Between Sun Warrior and these bars, it helps quite a bit.

cstreater - check out the protein bar recipes here:

http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16203

I've made the amazing almond bars (subbing defatted peanut meal for the almond/hazelnut meal though - it's available for cheap at trader joe's). They're cheap, really high protein and soy/gluten free. They don't taste that amazing in my experience though.

cstreater - check out the protein bar recipes here:

http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16203

I've made the amazing almond bars (subbing defatted peanut meal for the almond/hazelnut meal though - it's available for cheap at trader joe's). They're cheap, really high protein and soy/gluten free. They don't taste that amazing in my experience though.

Thank you so much. I'll try them out.