Misc. crap in my head

This thread looks like a good place to post my ups and downs.

First, worked to failure and beyond today. I love the twitching after a good workout. Awesome feeling. My lifting is getting closer to what it was when I stopped. That makes me feel great.

Now, does anyone else have this problem? I am a bit self-conscious in the gym about trying new exercises. How does a person get past that feeling of being stared at like you don't know what you are doing? It is really making me feel like not wanting to try new stuff.

Where the attitude goes, the mind goes. Where the mind goes, the body goes. Where the body goes, others will follow.

I suggest hiring a (good) personal trainer just for one session, and get them to show you how to use everything properly.

I feel the same way, and I also don't want to use something the wrong way or cause injury. I'm good friends with the owner of my gym and he is also an outstanding trainer, so I always consult him before I try anything new, that way I know I'm doing it properly and I have the confidence to introduce something new into my workouts

The guys that run my gym are cool. They always help when asked. I have also used YouTube as well as the exrx.net website. Both are great. I still feel a bit self-conscious though. Getting better slowly.

Where the attitude goes, the mind goes. Where the mind goes, the body goes. Where the body goes, others will follow.

I learned about 95% of what I know about form and motion in the weight room by walking up to the buff ones, starting out with a compliment like "Your delts are my goal" or "You really look like you know what you're doing" and then asking, "What does that move work?" or "Do you mind telling me if I'm doing this right?" Not one of them has ever said No. The rest I learned from ExRx.net and a muscle mag here and there.

Don't worry, pretty soon you'll be the one people are walking up to and asking questions.

Baby Herc

Part of my trouble is that I am really shy about things like that. I cannot start a conversation with strangers. That is why I turn to online sources to help me(like this forum). It allows me to learn things that I may never have learned otherwise.

Oh, man, I am scientifically defined as NOT SHY. Everybody knows me. It's hysterical: I step into the weight room and half the crowd looks up, laughs, and waves. All that's missing is them shouting "Norm!" It's fun to be a character but it pays to be a positive thinking character who is honestly interested in what people can teach me. I usually target the biggest, boldest, most bad-assed looking dude in the room and walk right up to him to pick his brain. He usually turns into a close friend.

I just recently lamented losing an immense, Guatemalan paramedic bodybuilding friend named Marco (roll your tongue when you say it, it's awesome) to his wanderlust--he's working in Thailand now. But I still have the Rock Jock, a retired geologist with whom I discuss magmatic batholiths and recent lava flows around Oregon. Then, there's Brandon, aka The Man of Steel, so named because he actually works in a factory that makes flat frame railroad cars in a giant foundry. Just yesterday, I made the acquaintance of Rhett who is the resident weight room trainer for the local high schoolers. I was disappointed to learn his wife's name was not Scarlet and he laughed like he's heard that one before. One of my favorites is Dave, a smallish man with large, soulful eyes whom you'd never know to be the sparring partner of a professional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter. It's amazing what treasures you can uncover in a weight room with minimal detective work. And I've learned stuff from all of them.

Case in point, one day a few years back an "old guy" walked into the room, positioned his water bottle and towel close to himself, and started doing basic moves in an unassuming manner. I noticed he was solid as a rock, though, and he knew quite a few of the swimmers who come in to work their shoulders. They were asking his advice and he was giving it with enthusiasm, so I got closer and listened in. He caught my gaze and with a twinkle in his eye, began telling me stories about his life. Holy crap! Not only has he biked AND run from one side of America to the other, but across Europe as well. He's written books about it. He still does the Hood to Coast race every year here in Oregon, a grueling multi-day race from our volcano to our beach, and runs other races, too. To top it all off, he was the founder of the Alcatraz Triathlon in the 70s and only recently stopped competing in it, citing an unwillingness to freeze his ass off in the chilly San Francisco Bay year after year. I don't blame him: at 75 years old, you can do what you want. http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/ http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/Race_Info/course.htm He lives blocks from where I run. Small world.

To me, he's just Joe. We tease each other incessantly and yell across the room to get each other to stop yakking and start lifting. He gives great hugs. He was as encouraging to me when I was out of shape, sick, and injured as he is now that I am three times as strong, 15% lighter, and trail running again. He shines like a light. So do I.

So, you never know who you'll meet. Just try one conversation. Hell, if you were at my gym, I'd be talking to you already.

Baby Herc

I really appreciate the encouragement. It is one of the reasons I joined the board. The funny thing for me is that in class, at work and around town, I can talk to almost any stranger. There is something intimidating to me about the guys at the gym. I have always thought of myself as shy, and in many ways I am. I am actually going tl school to be a teacher and am hoping that will help force me to make some changes. I yjibk its cool that you meet some interesting people at the gym. My current gym is small, not many people. The previous large chain gym was full of guys that were seriously jacked. Hard for me to feel good about my gains when the guy next to me could curl half my body weight. I had to learn, do what I can do, not what they can do.

• 1 year later...