The Los Mangoles Sessions

Bar workout on Monday, rest day today.

I got a new roommate a couple weeks ago. She has been curious about raw foods so I've started teaching her the ropes, starting with juicing. Next up, SMOOTHIES!

Going in for a physical and some bloodwork on Thursday. Should be interesting to see my results.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, haven't posted in 3 days? I ended up having to take a rest day on Wednesday too which I was not too excited about. Ran yesterday and banged out a few pullups at the end of the run. New PR! I got 6 full-dangle pull-ups and only kipped a little on the last one.

I've been pretty unhappy so far this year. I've had a hard time focusing and little things have been upsetting me. Now I realize a lot of it is probably because I haven't been getting enough sleep. Sunday night I only got like 4 hours sleep. I got some decent sleep Monday night, but then Tuesday and Wednesday night didn't go to bed until late. I notice it's much harder for me to go to bed at a reasonable hour if I haven't exercised during the day. So last night I slept 9:30pm-7am which was GREAT. I woke up feeling better today than the first time in a long time. I'm not 100%, but I think if I can spend the next few weeks getting into the habit of going to bed early, it will even me out. If I could do something like sleep 8:30/9 to 6am every day I bet I would feel amazing. Plus it's harder to eat well when you're cranky from not enough sleep. Definitely ate an entire big bag of Munchos over the course of 3 days this week. They were good, not gonna lie, but I'm not too proud of that.

Today, 5-mile bike ride each way to a bar workout

My pull up and chin up form is getting WAY better. I didn't know until recently that "kipping" with your legs is considered poor form (cheating). So I stopped doing that. It feels so much cleaner to just have my legs stay completely still. So this time around I got 7 chin-ups with NO KIP, not even on the last couple.

Tomorrow I haven't made up my mind how far I'm going to run (anywhere from 6 to 13 miles) and then begin taper for Tough Mudder next Sunday!

Today's Noms:

Carrot-ginger-apple-lemon-lime juice

30 bananas + 1/3lb spinach worth of smoothies

Raw food potluck tonight... kinda worried, we'll see.

Long run today

8 miles in 1:17:59 - 9:45 pace, getting faster

Did pretty relatively bad on the diet today. Too much cooked food.

-Carrot/apple/ginger/lemon/lime juice

-32 oz banana-spinach smoothie

-3 napalito tamales (probably terrible for me, but AMAZINGLY delicious)

-2 oz flax crackers

-Red curry vegetables w/brown rice

-1 bottle kombucha

***TAPER WEEK COMING UP***

Will try to hang on to my sanity...

BEWM-SHOCKALOCKA!!

I just hit my first "cheater" muscle-up. What I mean was, it was a 6-foot high bar and I was able to bust a muscle-up jumping from a stand still. It felt SOOO GOOD to get on top of that bar. I felt like I had this new-found power, almost like flying for the first time or something. Accomplishments like this keep me motivated. I can't wait until I can muscle up without the help of a jump, or even a kip.

Tough Mudder in 3 days. I take this as a very good sign.

Whoah. That was intense. I did Tough Mudder a year ago and it got A LOT harder. Luckily, I was in much better shape than a year ago.

Some great obstacles, sadly there were 2 that I did not complete. But all the bar work I've been doing lately totally helped with all the walls and pits to climb out of. I need to do some rope climbing and some monkey bars training before the next one.

On one of the electro shock obstacles knocked me unconscious 3 times. It was pretty rough. Other than that it was a great time. I finished the 12 miles in about 3 hours.

SOOOO tired right now. 8:19 and I'm headed to bed.

LOL, I have been thinking about trying it. But you're only the person I know who does it who isn't super douchey, so I am kinda worried about it. Plus, I am currently enjoying all the intense workouts I want, doing the exact program I want and not paying a dime to a gym. So I'm kind of hesitant to go back to paying for a gym. I like the freedom of being able to workout on my lunch hour at work, it's the perfect way to break up the day.

But Matt and I have talked about me trying it as an experiment and then writing an article about it for NMA. One day perhaps...

W00h00! Today marks 1 YEAR VEGAN and 7 years vegetarian. I have not been sick since a few months before I went vegan, and I don't plan on it happening again.

I made the decision to re-commit to 80/10/10 a few days ago. So this is day 2 of 60 of 100% LFRV. I feel fantastic! I can't WAIT to see how good I feel at 30 days and 60 days.

I took a rest day on Monday after Tough Mudder. I went for a run yesterday and my typical 3-4 mile recovery run was actually pretty rough. So I took another rest day today and almost feel kinda guilty about it. But my body needs it. Tomorrow I'll be 100% fresh and ready to rock.

Time for another early night. It's 8:40, time to start getting ready for bed.

Hey man, just wanted to stop by and say "hey." I stumbled upon your blog after being a longtime reader of NMA. I've really enjoyed the podcasts, keep up the good work! Also, you've inspired me to try the Tough Mudder in Wisconsin. I've gotten a few friends to join me as well. It's pretty far from today but I couldn't be more excited.

Take care dude!

Ben do you know Robert in person? Did you know that he is moving to Austin too? He's always all over the place but that is his new home base. I'm excited I'm going to visit him and another of my friends and see Austin for the first time this spring during SXSW time. OH but more importantly, you have qualified for the prize package! Great work keeping up with your training journal. Hope to see you continue with it.

Cheers,

-Dylan

Another new video. Been eating 100% raw for the past 8 days. For some reason when I eat this way I feel much more creative and less shy about sharing my thoughts, so I tend to make videos. Fun stuff. Here's one I made for one of my buddies who wanted to try some of Tim Ferriss' bro-science supplements in lieu of cleaning up his diet.

MASSIVE BAR WORKOUT TODAY!

8 pull ups (form is now totally clean)

14 chin ups (same here)

24 dips

41 pushups

16 lunges

70 squats

12 jumps onto a 4' ledge

12 ab rolls

My arms felt like jello after this one.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, I am on day 14 of 100% LFRV. Going for at least 60 days, maybe 90.