Sherrie's Starting Over

Alright, Sherrie!!! Woohoo! Celebrate the little achievements in life! Like your dinner choices at the restaurant! It's those little choices that really, really, really, really add up! As for the major changes you're making.... I don't know what they all are, but just keep at it, and in time it'll be second nature, and you'll have found new favorites. My coach told me "days go by slowly, but weeks go by quickly".

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Karen. it seems the days and weeks are flying by, especially lately.

The major changes involve implementing sugar and yeast-free way of eating without making myself or my family crazier. Yes, crazier because one of us are quite right some days, lol.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Friday, February 3

I really wish I'd taken out the major shopping before the weekend. Not only is it Superbowl weekend, it's pay weekend for just about everyone and it seems 90% of them are in the stores. I am hurting and not the most patient of people today. The positive high I had yesterday is still here, but oh man is it down a bunch.

Two 5 minute yoga sessions and a walk to my neighbor's house and back were it for exercise today. Moving at all hurts, including blinking, breathing, etc.

B - tofu scramble, fresh veggie juice with garlic and lemon ( I so needed it), black coffee, water

L - hummus on wheat pita with lettuce and onion, grapes, tea, water

D - tofu 'fish' fillet, lemon juice, fries, Happy Herbivore's crab cake (yeah, baby), hush puppies, tea, water

I need to get my veggie intake back up. I miss my greens! The sleepless night made it very easy for me to not care if I even ate or not, but I did. I kept on the veg track, just not the healthiest track. But I am paying attention to what I'm eating, taking notes, and making sure the grocery list is full of goodness.

Peace, all.

Does yeast=gluten?

Have you tried Xevia natural sodas? Pretty tasty, and I bet your family would like them. They're 0 calories and sweetened with stevia. Hey, can you still have other sweetners like maple syrup, agave nectar, etc.? I have a cookbook called "Scatter Vegan Sweets" that uses lots of natural sweetner alternatives to sugar. Here's a link to it, if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Scatter-Vegan-Sweets-Wendy-Gabbe/dp/0971805210/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328333898&sr=1-2

I know dietary changes can be so hard, especially when you've got a family to consider. So, good luck!!

Thanks for the link, Karen. I added it to my wish list. We have tried Xevia, and no one in the house liked them but me. I cut soda in general ages ago, so I don't think I'll pick it up again anytime soon.

Gluten is the protein and I don't seem to have issues with it. The symptoms for gluten issues and yeast issues are about the same, so if the first set of changes are not enough, then gluten will go next. That would be a bummer since I love seitan. Love and would marry it if I wasn't married already. And gluten could give foot massages.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I definitely need them.

Saturday. February 4 or Day I Fed the Gnats

So my son is playing baseball for the first time and stoked. I'm stoked, too, and glad to see him interested in something besides paintball and gaming. Practice was just over 2 1/2 hours and uneventful. The yard sale location across the street from the diamond was eventful - two separate police calls, so yelling, and throwing. Fun times, eh?

Anyway, the gnats were out with a vengeance, and we are all covered with bites and scratches from trying to shoo them. I think I burned off my breakfast by batting those buggers away. The rest of the exercise routine for the day included 1 1/2 mile walk and a 10 minute yoga session. I'm not as sore as I have been, so I decided to push a bit today. I don't think I'll regret it, but time will tell.

B - Ezekiel cereal with strawberries and almond milk, water, probiotic, coffee

L - veggie patty melt (Boca burger and caramelized onions on rye), potato salad, unsweetened iced tea

D - Veg burger (with pickles, onion, ketchup, mustard, and chili), veg dog with chili and onion, chocolate shake, water, probiotic, apple hand pie

I am so gonna pay for the starchy dinner and will probably fall asleep soon. Oy.

Peace, all.

Sunday, February 5, and the reality is kicking in. This is my last day of intentional yeast and sugar ingestion for at least 30 days. I have been cutting back until now. but for some reason thought I would splurge a little before doing what needs to be done. I think my judgement was clouded by pain.

B - vegan doughnuts from Diggity Doughnuts (peanut butter and sirracha), coffee, water

L - gazpacho (it was more than warm enough here in Charleston), water, tea

D - Superbowl Sunday!! Pizza (veggie supreme and veggie pepperoni), tea

S - salt and black pepper cashews, water

Just a quick check in since it's a busy day. A busy couple of days, actually. My son is playing baseball this year and the practice schedule is a little wonky right now. He's out of school at 4 and rides with a classmate from school to practice. My daughter rides the school bus to their usual stop and we pick her up before heading to practice to snag the boy. It gets hairy when traffic is bad, but we will make it work.

I'm on day two of my no sugar or yeast plan and taking Candigone for the next 15 days. On day 15 I'll decide if I'll go for 30 or not. I was craving sugar earlier, but ate a handful of nuts instead. it helped a lot. More than I expected. Win!

Exercise is again limited to yoga and short sprint walks because now both hips are being weird. Time for yet another appointment. Oy.

Peace, all.

Berries and green apples are good, so I made sure I picked up a few. I snagged grapes for the kids when shopping last night and see them whenever I open the fridge door. :sigh: I've done a lower carb plan before and can do it again. It seems different now because I have to do it this time and I wanted to do it before.

Dang kids are running me ragged, lol. Baseball, senior year activities and meeting, and teen angst are the trifecta of parental stress these days.

Thanks for the comments and support.

When it rains, it pours. Busy week is morphing into a crappy one. I'm feeling like crap (likely detox in addition the first monthly migraine), the car is acting wonky, and today mom had an accident. A speeding student ran a light and slammed into her while she was taking a left. She says she's fine, but hasn't been checked out yet. Deep cleansing breaths.

On the food front, things are good. Detox and withdrawals are kicking in and I. am. grouchy. I'm trying not to be and counting to 20 before I respond to something my compromised brain defines as snarky, so hopefully the family will not want to strangle me in my sleep.

And now, back to work. It's crazy in wah land this week.

Peace.

I. am. beat. Seriously just tired. It's been a stressful week and my energy level is on the low side, but I am hanging tough. Walking, yoga, planks, and push-ups have been the routine for the past few days. Mom is fine, the migraine is fading, and my paper is done. I can relax a bit and enjoy the rest of the night and tomorrow.

Hear that? It's the sound of a peaceful yet cold evening.

Peace, all.

Hub's shoulder is better for the most part, so mine decided to act up. We helped a friend finish up her move today and are both feeling it a little.

I haven't posted since Wednesday, eh? Wow.

Thursday's workout: elliptical and yoga

Friday's workout: karate drills and yoga

Saturday: migraine, so meditation

Sunday: moved boxes, a clothesline, a trampoline, and a few planters (including an old cast iron sink)

Juice feast tomorrow! Red beans and brown rice, cornbread, and kale on Tuesday!

Peace!

Hi and thanks, Karen! I just posted on your page. We're both doing better. He just moved the wrong way and mine is an arthritic flare up. I am doing much better without sugar than I expected. If my allergies would leave me alone, it would be awesome. Gorgeous weather = early blooms and increased pollen levels. It's supposed to rain today, so relief is just around the corner.

Glad to hear you're doing better, minus the allergies.

I feel like such a slacker because I haven't been posting in the forum as much lately, but it's my goal to start getting back on track with it, starting this weekend!

Hey, did you get your first issue of VegNews this month? Just want to make sure the subscription you won a while back got processed.

I did get it, thanks! It's sitting on the nightstand.

I walked out to the mailbox today and the Azalea bush is in full bloom. It's fracking February! Oy! This is going to be a long, long allergy season. I should probably invest in a homeopathic company with the amount of money I'm going to drop on remedies.

Have a great weekend.

Gah, it's been too long since I've posted! I only have a few weeks left of grad school and between it, work, the job hunt, upcoming training for a temp gig, and family stuff, I am beat.

In general exercise has consisted of walking, yoga, and strength work in the form of moving boxes, unloading and loading the truck, and moving furniture around. Food has been decent enough, but I could always use more greens. And speaking of, a TBS of Vitamineral Greens added to my juice is a good thing. And Vitamineral Earth makes my homemade veggie broths richer without adding a bunch of sodium.

I need to hit the grocery store for some more produce and am excited about getting some goodies from Vegan Essentials in the pantry. I forgot to use my coupon code (oops), but at least I'll have it for next time.

And back to the grind I go.

So tired and chilly. Temperatures have dropped in the Lowcountry and I am not mentally prepared for it. It's been shorts and tshirts weather for over a month, so this cold snap is messing with me. It may be the cold I;m trying to fight off, but I'm feeling it.

Hi Sherrie! I was cruising the Caribbean last week, with no internet access, so I've missed checking out your journal. Nice to see you're still posting a bit and doing well, despite your hectic schedule. Also glad to know you're enjoying the HealthForce products(vitamineral green and Earth) from your prize package. Nice! Interesting that you put it in your broth. Hmm.

How are things going as grad school winds down? Congratulations on being almost done! That's fantastic!

Take care,

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Karen!

You got to cruise! Sweet! I'll pop onto your thread to see how it went. How are you? Your mom?

It's been a hectic couple of weeks between baseball, work, and the last bit of work. But class is OVER and I'll get my grade in a couple of days. Unless the group project massively failed, I'll graduate with a 3. something and celebrate it and continue my birthday celebration through April. Why not, eh?

That's right, I hit the big 4-3 today and feel no older than 30. My great aunt forgot how old I was and thought I was 6 years younger and said I looked 10 years younger. I don't how much of that I believe, but today I felt younger. I still feel it right now.

And another pair of pants decided to not fit. The scale may be stationary for the most part, but the clothes are getting looser. That's something.

Until next time, peace.

Juice feasted and walked today. It went so much better than the first one - just felt light headed and had a slight headache all day. I watched part of the 10K I was unable to participate in and am blown away by the winning times. The Wheelchair racers set a record at just over 25 min and the top female clocked just over 26. I'm not sure if I'll top those times by this time next year, but I will be working towards it all year.

And the plan is to hit the sack shortly, so goodnight.

A little sore, but a good soreness. A mix of yoga and strength training today and yoga tomorrow. I'm pushing a little harder, but keeping my current limits in mind.

Grades are in - I'm officially a post-graduate. It feels different. Maybe it hasn't hit me quite yet.

Anyway, food has been really easy and dinner is ready because I cooked a lot on Sunday and Monday. I might go to bed early if my head doesn't stop.

My heart is breaking for anyone in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.