Kim's Beast Training

Congrats, sounds like definition is popping out all over for you I've been major swamped but I haven't forgotten about your website. I was thinking about doing a piece on influential vegan athletes or changing times as more vegan foods enter pop restaurants. Which topic do you like better?

-Dylan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, sounds like definition is popping out all over for you I've been major swamped but I haven't forgotten about your website. I was thinking about doing a piece on influential vegan athletes or changing times as more vegan foods enter pop restaurants. Which topic do you like better?

-Dylan

Thanks! OOOHhhhh, those both sound awesome. Tough decision. Influential athletes might be a good one. Especially right now when crossfit is SO huge and you know their motto is something along the lines of "BACON". I actually just saw an article this morning on Yahoo about how a high meat intake is bad and can decrease your life expectancy (Finally, I feel like people are starting to get it. It also seemed like the article was geared towards the athletic trend of high meat intake). It's definitely good to see strong athletes who do it vegan, because it starts to debunk the myth that vegans are weak and tiny.

I can't wait to read what you write. Thank you again for doing this, you are amazing!!

Kim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I just haven't gotten around to it. I haven't stopped training though. I will start posting my workouts again, I need to keep myself honest. I am sort of at a point where I feel like I'm starting to take steps backwards instead of forwards. I have a marathon in October as well as 3+ mile obstacle race in August and a 10+ mile obstacle race (hopefully it turns into a 26+ mile) in September. I seem to be somewhat on schedule with my runs, though I think my joints are starting to show the wear and tear. I'm up to running 14 miles at a time, I need to try and push it to 15 in the next couple of weeks to keep on schedule. I am weightlifting as well, and though I am slowly starting to see some progress, it's not as good as I had hoped.

This is a journey and a lifestyle and I don't plan on stopping and if it takes me another couple of years to reach my goal then so be it.

Also, today was supposed to be my Leg day but I woke up at 3 a.m. (which is an hour and a half earlier than I normally get up) and I wanted to vomit and I just hurt, so I took a rest day and slept in a bit. I will be back at it again tomorrow though, it's Shoulder's and Abs day tomorrow followed by a 6 mile p.m. run after work. Plus I need to get 300 crunches in, and 50 push-ups as well.

Hmm, do you take glucosamine for your joints? Wait is there a vegan form that you know of?

No, I don't take anything. Not sure if there is a vegan version of that.

I could be over training as well. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it. lol Plus working up your mileage for a marathon is tough in general so I am hoping it's just that.

Not sure if there is a vegan version of that.
There is, a few companies make it... I know NOW Nutrition and DEVA do, and I'm sure there are others as well.

Oh interesting. I will have to look into it then, thank you.

Today's WOD: Shoulder's and Abs

Seated Dumbbell Press 3x10: 20lb

Rear Delt Cable Flyes 3x10: 10lb

Dumbbell Front Raise 3x10: 15lb

Seated Arnold Press 3x10: 17.5lb and 20lb on last set

Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3x10: 10lb

Seated Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise 3x10: 10lb

Crunches x 100

Leg Raise 3x10

Oblique Crunches x 100

6 mile p.m. run tonight followed by some core work

Today's WOD: Back and Bi's

Assisted Pull-Ups 3x10: 110lb offset

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 3x10: 70lb

Cable Rows 3x10: 60lb

T-Bar Row 3x10: 50lb

Back Extension 3x10: 10lb

Barbell Curl 3x10: 35lb

Incline Dumbbell Curl 3x10: 17lb

Alternate Hammer Curl 3x10: 15lb

30 minutes of HIIT: 30 seconds at level 8, 30 seconds off for 30 minutes

PM Workout tonight (6 p.m.):

Circuit 1 x Three Times

Prisoner Squats x 10

Squat Jumps x 10

Plank x 1 minute

High plank, alternating leg lift & glute squeeze x 10 each leg

I think I am starting to get back in to the groove again. I have 3 more months until the Spartan Sprint, 4 months until the Spartan Beast and 5 months until my marathon! Oy I need to kick up the weekly mileage for sure. I'm currently stuck at 14 miles at a time. I need to pick it up to at least 16 miles by the end of the month.

WOD: Chest & Tri's!!

Wide push-ups 3x10

Incline Dumbbell Press 3x10: 25lb

Flat Bench Flyes 3x10: 17lb

Decline Flyes 3x10: 15lb

Bench Dips 3x10: 10lb plate

Lying EZ-Bar Tricep Extension 3x10: 25lb

Dumbbell Tricep Kickback 3x10: 15lb

Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension 3x10: 25lb

Cable one arm tricep press down 3x10: 20lb

30 minute run on treadmill

Evening Run with Running partner plus some more push-ups and whatever else we decide to throw in the mix.

Last night's run with my buddy was pretty fun. It was a short run, maybe lasted 20 minutes, but it was all up hill or down hill. So it was a good workout. And my friend's running pace is a bit faster than mine so it definitely pushed me a bit, which is always good.

WOD: LEGS!!!!

Leg Extensions 3x10: 110lb

Leg Press 3x10: 320lb

Calf Raise on Leg Press 3x10: 320lb

Barbell Squat on Hack 3x10: 100lb

Barbell Lunge 3x10: 30lb

Single-leg deadlift 3x10: 25lb

Lying Leg Curls 3x10: 50lb

Standing Calf Raise 3x10: 120lb

PM WOD:

Alternating forward lunges x 10 each leg (hold dumbbells by hips)

Plie Squat x 12

X-climbers x 20 each leg

Penguins x 20 each way

So, contemplating starting a progress feed with photos. I see a lot of people posting theirs and I love looking through them for inspiration. I think it might help me keep track of how I'm doing. We shall see. If I get a chance this weekend to take some photo's then I'll attempt to do that.

I definitely worked up a sweat today with my workout. I also had a woman approach me at the gym while in between my leg extension sets and ask me if I was a trainer there. I told her I wasn't, but thanked her for the compliment. Made me feel pretty awesome. I am slowly starting to increase the weights for my legs because I feel like I should be lifting a bit heavier. I am not seeing as much change in my legs as I would like. I am just going to keep at it because I know that these things take considerable time.

Also, I ran 16 miles Saturday morning....16 MILES!!!!! I wanted to throw up when I got home and just laid on the floor for a bit because I couldn't do much else without shaking. But I was so proud of myself, it's the longest and farthest I have ever run. 2 years ago I would have told you you were smoking something if you mentioned me running anything more than a couple of miles. And here I am running 16. Of course, I tell my friends and family this and a lot of them ask me why? Why would I want to run that long or that far? Or, am I still doing that weight loss thing? I've come to find comfort and support in my new fitness and athletic friends that I have made within the last year or so, because they understand these things like no one else. They are the ones cheering me on when I announce my first unassisted pullup or the inkling of an oblique outline in my stomach. I am thankful for a forum like this as well for providing this support as well.

I also seem to be struggling with my diet on the weekends still. It's getting better, but it looks like for a few months most of my weekends will consist of traveling and driving. I am going to have to start packing all my food and actually eating it. I made a wonderful salad sunday for lunch, but ended up making and eating a sammich(yes sammich) later, which partly screwed up everything. It wasn't a horrible sammich, hummus with tofurky slices on a gluten free wrap. But I don't really eat hummus unless it doesn't have oil in it and is homemade, and tofurky defeats the purpose of the GF wrap. I try and stay away from processed foods and gluten which includes all fake meats.

Well, I think I'm done ranting for now.

WOD: LEGS

Leg Extensions 2 light x30: 60lb

Leg Press 4x8: 330lb

Calf Raises on leg Press 3x20: 330lb

Barbell squats 2 light x15, 2 heavy to failure: 50lb for light, 110lb x10 and 120lb x 8

Barbell Lunges 3 x20: 40lb

Barbell Step-ups 3x 10: 40lb

Plié Squat 3 x15: 20lb

Standing Calf Raises 3x20: 120lb

PM WOD: Circuit x 3

Bulgarian Squats x 10 each leg

Skate Hops x 15 each way

Mountain climbers x 20 each leg

V-ups x 20

Hold v-up or boat pose x 20 seconds

50 push-ups

300 crunches

So I have really been trying to focus on making my legs stronger. Not only because I want them to look nice and muscular but because I have several tough races coming up and I want to make sure that my legs can carry me the distance. A couple of months ago I felt like I wasn't really working them hard enough, I was seeing progress in the rest of my body except my legs. So I started doing leg days on Monday's and Friday's since those are my off days for running. I started to lift heavier (though I still feel like I could be lifting heavier) but still haven't really been seeing a difference. Well, yesterday I felt one of my legs and was surprised to feel muscles. I haven't been able to see a difference, but I'm starting to feel a difference. There seems to be slightly less fat than before and a lot more muscle. I still have a ways to go and not just with my legs, but it's good to know that I'm still making progress even if I can't see it yet.

I have also been meaning to take my body measurements again, but I lost the paper I have all of my numbers on from last time. I'm going to have to do a full house search for it so I can see if any progress was made from a few months ago.

WOD: Shoulders!

Military Press on hack machine 1 warm up set, 3x10: 10lb, 30lb

(Super Set)

Dumbbell Upright Row 3x10: 17lb

Standing Dumbbell Press 3x10: 17lb

(End Super Set)

Incline Front Dumbbell Raise 3x10: 10lb

Rear Delt Cable Flyes 3x10: 10lb

Lateral Raise 3x10: 10lb

Rear Delt Raise 3x10: 10lb

30 minutes of HIIT (30 second sprints followed by 30 seconds rest) at speeds 8 and 8.5

Note: looking at this, it's clear that my shoulders are still a pretty weak area. I dislocated my left shoulder twice a few years ago, and it's one of the reasons I try to continually lift weights. It's still a weak area and I need to consciously make a better effort to build strength here. The stronger they are the less likely I'll dislocate it again (I was told if it dislocates again I will have to have surgery).

Yesterday:

I did arms yesterday morning but was too lazy to post it here. Last night I also ran 4 miles with a 5 pound backpack and loved feeling every muscle in my legs work. I usually do 6 miles on tuesday nights but felt that my legs are still a bit tired from the work they did over the weekend and Monday's Leg day.

So, I discovered last night the best dessert/treat OF ALL TIME!!! Seriously. It's delicious and still healthy. I usually roast a bunch of sweet potatoes on Sunday to have throughout the week as a snack. I usually do a huge batch on Sunday because those buggers take forever to bake through, and I bake them individually wrapped in tin foil. I usually then take one each morning and mash it with some cinnamon, and sometimes add sugar-free/cal free maple syrup (I know it's bad but I'm trying to ween myself off it and go 100% sugar and sugar alternative free). Well last night, inspired by my friend's craving for chocolate, I decided to add cocoa powder to my baked sweet potato and mash it up. I added a bit of the maple syrup and cinnamon...and then died from ecstasy after I tried it. It is seriously one of the tastiest things ever. I don't know why I didn't think to try this sooner. I've made a chocolate custard in the past that was made with acorn squash, so that's how I came up with the idea of using one of my sweet potatoes instead. This is almost a tie with the raw chocolate pudding I make with banana and avocado and dates, which is also equally delicious by the way.

WOD: BACK!!!

Assisted Pull-Ups 3x10: 110lb resistant

(Super Set)

Bent-over Barbell rows 3x8: 40lb

Cable Rows 3x8: 60lb

(End Super Set)

Lat Pull down 3x10: 70lb

One-arm Dumbbell row 3x8: 25lb, 30lb

Hammer Strength Lat Pull down 3x10: 50x10 (too easy), 100x5, 100x5

Back Extensions 3x8: 25lb plate held

40 minute run on treadmill

I didn't end up doing my second workout last night like I wanted to do...but I ended up doing a different workout instead which I think still counts (the one that involves a husband ;D).

So I may or may not try and do the second work out tonight instead.

Who is starting to feel muscle in her bum? THIS GIRL!!! That's bloody right ...I just can't wait until it's actually visible to other people. I'm pretty sure that once I attain my goal of a nice toned and fit body..I'm going to look for every damn excuse to walk around in a bathing suit or booty shorts. Maybe I'll move somewhere perpetually warm and then I can rock it all year round. I have about 3 more weeks of bulking and lifting heavy. Then, I'm going to spend the next few weeks doing circuit training and lifting mixed with HIIT to hopefully cut down some of the fat covering the muscles I've built.

WOD: LEGS!!!!

Leg Extensions 2 warm-up sets of 30: 60lb

Barbell squat 2 light x 15 reps, 2 heavy sets to failure: 50lb light, 120lb heavy x 10 reps (I could probably go heavier and drop the reps)

Leg Press 4x 8: 330lb

Barbell Lunge 3x 20: 40lb

Barbell Step-ups 3x 10: 40lb

Plié Squat 3x 15: 25lb dumbbell

Standing Calf Raise 3x20 last set to failure: 120lb, last 130lb x 30 reps

Calf Raise on leg Press machine 3x 20 last set to failure: 320lb, last 320x 40reps

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Hey Kim! Has it really been a year since you last posted here or did you start a new thread? Its been so long since we've talked! I hope you're doing well. Gchat me!

-Dylan

Yep, It's been a while. I probably should start a new thread. I need something to keep me honest right now. lol Maybe I'll name it KIM SMASH!