Miss V,V (Leicester, UK) training for Triathlon

In terms of training I'm new to triathlon and just joined my local Tri club today.

Swimming is my weakest disipline so my focus will be on that for a while, I kind of feel ok about my ability to get through the running and cycling componants. I like cross training and hope to throw some weight in too

I'd like to get to consistant high-raw veganism. I'm just transitioning from an apalling junk food vegan diet to a cleaner one and know what I will be logging won't be very balanced at first (and yeah I love my fruit!) I just need some tips and a bit of time!

Today's training

* Salute to the sun and inner thigh stretches (aprox 7 mins)

* Swimming

25m pool – 8 lengths (300m)

18m pool – 8 lenghts breaststroke (144m) + 8 lengths of leg work (144m) + 6 lenghts of crawl (108m) 4 lenghts of backstroke (72m)

Total 768m (which would equate to 30 lengths @ 25m)

Rested when needed (I need plenty of it till my stamina builds) – total time of session was approx 50 mins

Today's food log

*1 bowl of blueberries

* Protein pudding (post swim) - 2 bannanas, raw cacoa powder, sunwarrier protein powder, ground flax.

*1 Avacado with a bit of himalyan pink salt on

*Bar of raw chocolate

*1 Avacado

* 1 Banana

* Large handful of carrot battons

Drinks, 3 cups of tea with soya milk, water also a cup hot water with lime juice

Edited by Miss_V_V

Training

Morning – 3.1 mile run (didn’t time it, need to start timing it as I want to get my speed up!)

Afternoon kettlebell routine with 7.5kg/16.5lb kettlebell

All 1 set of stated reps unless specified

10 two handed swings

10 one arm swings each arm

10 alternating 1 arm swings

10 two handed high pull

10 arm high pull each arm

1- alternating high pulls

5 clean

5 clean, squat,

5 clean, squat, push press

Repeated on other arm

5 forward, back and curtysy lunges

Repeated on other side

10 woodchoppers per side

10 one chest press on both sides

10 overhead tricep extension (skull crushers)

10 close grip tricep press

10 pull overs

Repeated this sequence 2 more times

60 crunches holding kettle bell and a few stretches

Also done quite a lot of walking from place to place today (I walk everywhere) – will start to calculate and log it it but must have done about 6 or 7 miles today.

Food

1 banana

Post run shake – soya milk, ray cacoa, sunwarrier protein powder

1 banana

1 avocado

1 banana

100g of dried mango

Post kettlebell shake – soya milk, raw cacoa, sunwarrier protein powder, cinnamon

Nearly reached for a sticky bun today but the thought of not wanting it in my log kept me on the straight and narrow!

Evening kettlebell routine with 7.5kg/16.5lb kettlebell

One set unless otherwise stated

10 two handed swings

10 two handed high pull

1- alternating high pulls

10 clean

5 clean, squat,

Repeated on other arm

5 forward, back and curtsey lunges

Repeated on other side

20 twist crunches holding kettlebell

15 one chest press on both sides

15 overhead tricep extension (skull crushers)

15 close grip tricep press

15 pull overs

Repeated this sequence

60 crunches holding kettle bell

I’ve probably walked about 4 miles today

Diet

Raw chocolate pudding – 2 bananas, raw cacao, sunwarrier protein ground flax

1 large courgette (spiralized) spinach and salad leave with vegan pesto

1 punnet of raspberries

2 apples

4 shredded wheat cereal with soya milk and cinnamon

1 apple

Soya milk and sunwarrier protein powder (post kettlebells)

Training

16km/10mile bike training in the gym

60 crunches with 5kg medicine balls

1 hour group swim session with Leicester Triathlon Club

Overall walking probably about 4 miles

Food diary

2 bananas

1 courgette (spiralized),1 handful of spinach leaves, 1 handful of salad leaves + 1 dessert spoon of cider vinegar + 1 table spoon of vegan pesto

1 bar of raw chocolate

1 Banana

3 trek bars

Edited by Miss_V_V

Thank you PhytoAthlete

I think it's my sweet tooth that loves the fruit so much, some weeks I think I could be a frutarian lol - certainly on taste alone! I'll get planning some nice vegetable based dishes and salad including some cruciferious vegetables. Thanks for the input.

Today has been a testing day to say the list, lots of things have gone wrong and I've felt totally fed up - and when I feel like that I tend to reach for junk food. Luckily I maintianed a clean diet even it it was still a fruit heavy one!

Training

Total of 14 lengths (350m) swimming. Mix of front crawl and breast stroke, rested a little after most laps as my swimming needs a lot of work!

General walking 4-5miles

Food diary

Milkshake made of 2 small bananas, soya milk and raw cacoa powder

Bar of raw chocolate

Prepacked wholefoods salad

500ml of unpasteurised orange juice

Prepaked wholefoods salad

2 large bananas

4 majool dated

No training today

Total walking today probably totalled 5-6 miles

Sticking to a healthy diet felt a bit of a struggle but managed a reasonable one. I’ll be glad when my busy weekend is out they way and looking forward to including a healthy salad and veg dish and snacks so my diet is not so fruit heavy, much as I love it!!! .

Banana and 2 majool dates

120g of fresh coconut flesh

Fresh soup with handful of chopped spinach and 3 slices of wholemeal bread

1 majool date

I banana

2 bags of soya crispies (they are like flavoured rice cakes but high in protein)

1 trek bar

1 banana

Hi Ms V V

I used to do triathlons 15 + years ago Anyway, if I may give you some tips on the swimming: concentrate on getting the technique correct, right from the beginning, even if it means going to the library and getting some swimming books, video olympic swimmers ecpecilly underwater shots; when doing weight training make sure you train the muscles used for front crawl (the width of your press-ups, bench press, upper back muscles etc)... Apologies if I sound like a know it all...i'm really not that way inclined...I just wish you the best in your training...

A story from my past triathlon days....when I turned up at the tri swim club (in London) my front crawl was DOGGY PADDLE style ...there was this guy in the club that just hated the look of me...he would swim over me in the pool and kick me on purpose...he never spoke to me...anyway I wasn't too happy with the coaching from two ex- European swimmers...there was no feed back on technique etc..so off I went to the library..off I went in search of another club and found a back-street club with a coach who could not swim well at all but BOY COULD HE TEACH TECHNIQUE ..wooo hoooo...within 6 months my bi-lateral breathing front-crawl changed dramatically and my first 400m pool swim was 6:07 minutes...SWEET JUSTICE...I was now faster than the guy in the tri club who used to kick and swim over me...he was shocked at my transformation and came up and spoke to me for the first time...needless to say I was very dismissive of him... I didn't need his approval to know that I was okay...I simply ignored him after that...hahaha...

Don't give up girl and live your dream...

Sunday’s tend to be my “eat whatever I like” day although I want to phase this our really and be healthy all the time. I’m hoping by the end of Aug I will have ditched the Sunday fry up! Considering all my days were junk day before this week I've not done too bad!

1 banana

4 majool dates

2 slices of fried bread, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, boiled mushrooms, 1 hash brown, brown sauce, salt

1 large carton of vegan icecream

2 punnets of bluberries

8 marmite ricecakes

No training today, looking forward to some swim training tomorrow

It’s been one of those days! I’ve not trained which means I have a session to make up later in the week, doable just not ideal (or very disciplined!)

Another fruit heavy food diary that shows large gaps for improvement!

Milkshake – 1 banana, 1 glass of soya milk, 1 scoop of raw cacao

1 banana

Cup of sprouted sunflower seeds

3 wholemeal bread rolls with vegan pesto

1 banana

1 bar of raw chocolate

4 apples

Another day lacking greens! Oh if only I could be as enthusiastic about greens and salads as I am about (sugar free) chocolate and sweet things!

Training

Swimming – 14 laps, a mix of front crawl and breast stroke but included 2 lengths of back stroke.

1 kettle bell workout with 7.5kg/16.5lb kettlebell

10 two handed swings

10 two handed high pull

10- alternating high pulls

10 clean

5 clean, squat,

Repeated on other arm

5 forward, back and curtsy lunges

Repeated on other side

40 twist crunches holding kettle bell

15 one chest press on both sides

15 overhead tricep extension (skull crushers)

15 close grip tricep press

15 pull overs

Repeated this sequence.

60 crunches holding kettle bell

Diet

3 shredded wheat cereal with soya milk

1 banana

1 carob and orange, sugar free bar

1 punnet of blueberries

2 redwoods sausages

Milkshake – 1 banana, 1 glass of soya milk, 1 scoop of sunwarrier protien, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

2 redwoods sausages

1 banana

1 baked sweet potato

• 3 months later...