Yeti Log: The 100 Mille Run, AKA Run Beard Man Run!

hardcore crack research

I can't help it. I'm visualizing you doing something....

I am going to go back to Road Runner and get a custom orthodic insole to control the pronation.

I hope you find a solution, CY, but beware custom running stores that claim to be able to "fix" any "running problem." They have an expensive solution to all your woes and they are just soooo excited to sell it to you. Right NOW! In fact, buy TWO! And tell your FRIENDS! Do you belong to our BUYER'S CLUB?

Let me tell you a little story. For fun, I went into Runner's Roost once to see if they were able to figure out what I already knew: I was born with anterior illiosacral rotation on the right side (slightly torqued pelvis) that causes one leg to be a tiny bit shorter, outward tracking knee caps due to crazy-strong quads, and a resulting gate that causes my flat feet to supinate, a very rare foot strike. None of this has caused me any more annoyance than having to pay attention when walking a straight line and wearing out my shoes on the outsides faster. All of this is plainly visible to the naked eye if you just know where and when to look. I just wanted to see if these "experts" were as good as they claimed to be in their flashy ads.

I walked in and told them nothing more than that I have flat feet that supinate. They began by telling me that there was no such thing. I countered by saying that actually, it's a reality for many and there are specific shoes designed just for it, just go online. They argued with me until I mentioned the shoe brands in question at which point they perked right up and launched into Sales Mode, pushing me hard to lay down $210 dollars for a pair of hideous florescent orange things that could blind a New York taxi driver. (Same shoes were only $130 online.)

I changed the subject back to their self-avowed ability to diagnose any runner's gait and I ran their little 50' strip for them, asking what they saw. I stepped on their weight distribution scale and waited for them to record the numbers. I let them take a video of me and play it back in slow motion. They measured my foot, my toes, my ankle, and my stride length. Conclusion? They were so far off, I had a hard time keeping a straight face!

First of all, they said I should only run in a low drop, uncushioned shoe that forced my feet to roll outward to control my flat feet. I said my feet already roll outwards due to my supination and if I slipped into a pair of shoes like that, I'd tip over. They argued with me, so I took off my own worn running shoes and showed them the lack of tread all around the outside. They got quiet.

Then I mentioned that a well-cushioned shoe always felt best and lasted longest for me. They told me that was the worst thing for me to wear due to my supination because it wouldn't control the outward roll of my feet. I filled them in on my long history of horribly painful plantar fasciitus that set in whenever I wore uncushioned shoes. More dead air. Finally, I hit them with the fact that my whole posture and hip roll balanced itself automatically with a very high drop, high enough to almost be ladies' heels. They shook their head at me and said I was ruining my body.

I decided to give them one last chance and asked if they had ever heard of strengthening and correcting the gait through targeted bodybuilding. They actually laughed in my face and began to talk down to me, asking what quack sold me that idea. I looked them straight in the eye and said, "Every chiropractor, physical therapist, and personal trainer I've ever met." They snorted and declared, "Those aren't doctors." I smiled and said, "Neither are you," and then I left.

For the last 20 years, whenever I walk, run, or just amble around the house, I wear well-cushioned, high drop tennis shoes that feel so amazing, I don't even know they're on. I pay $40 for them. Stick that in your running shorts, Runner's Roost.

Moral of the story: if it feels good, it's right for you. You've been in your body for longer than the "experts."

Baby Herc

No running today until I get my left knee looked at and assessed by a sports doctor and figure out what is causing this issue. I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:30 AM.

I know it's not my form, as my right knee is totally fine. We shall see.

I lifted today though, and walked 5 miles on the beach in Coronado CA.

Hack Squats 175lbs x8x8x8x6

Dumbbell Bench Press 2x60lbs x8x8x5

Weighted Chinups +12.5lbs x8x8x6

Quadriceps Curls 75lbs x10x10x10

Abs and Obliques 4x10x10x10 EA

Tomorrow I will take a good long walk in replace of running.

I have finally stolen back my passion of running. Today I made a powerful discovery about my biomechnics. I am designed to land very far forward on the balls of my feet, almost on my tippy toes. My right leg is able to land however the hell it wants, my left cannot.

I started a simple 30 min run off experimenting with different strikes, speeds, postures, etc. After 10 angry minutes my knee began to ache again. I became furious and started landing almost tippy toe style and in just a few minutes the pain receeded to a dull ache, and then completely gone.

I have done it. I have stolen my passion back. Fuck yes! Time to train my body to land nearly tippy toe style. This means knocking my runs back to just 30-45 min until my feet get stronger.

Also swapped my Kinvara 3s out for Bikila toe shoes because the weight of the 4mm drop made it hard to keep my heels up. These will be good for shorter runs once my feet get stronger, but eventually I will need more substantial shoes for my long ass runs.

Woohoo!

I have finally stolen back my passion of running. Today I made a powerful discovery about my biomechnics. I am designed to land very far forward on the balls of my feet, almost on my tippy toes. My right leg is able to land however the hell it wants, my left cannot.

I started a simple 30 min run off experimenting with different strikes, speeds, postures, etc. After 10 angry minutes my knee began to ache again. I became furious and started landing almost tippy toe style and in just a few minutes the pain receeded to a dull ache, and then completely gone.

I have done it. I have stolen my passion back. Fuck yes! Time to train my body to land nearly tippy toe style. This means knocking my runs back to just 30-45 min until my feet get stronger.

Also swapped my Kinvara 3s out for Bikila toe shoes because the weight of the 4mm drop made it hard to keep my heels up. These will be good for shorter runs once my feet get stronger, but eventually I will need more substantial shoes for my long ass runs.

Woohoo!

Yaaaaaay! I knew you could do it! Road Runner can suck it! HIIT sprints will build the density and strength in those tootsies faster.

Baby Herc

Yay, Kyle!

I forgot to ask where you ran in my hood today...past the construction to the park or the other way and hilly?

Glad you figured the shoe thing out---and now, sadly you need to change it to "Clean Cut ex beard man" ( Herc...he loks exceedingly handsome w/ out it--told him and his Mom, so!) He needs to run in Portland...Oh My, ...Land of Nike!

See ya on the 6th (or so) ..and big hugs to you and Mom!

Yay, Kyle!

I forgot to ask where you ran in my hood today...past the construction to the park or the other way and hilly?

Glad you figured the shoe thing out---and now, sadly you need to change it to "Clean Cut ex beard man" ( Herc...he loks exceedingly handsome w/ out it--told him and his Mom, so!) He needs to run in Portland...Oh My, ...Land of Nike!

See ya on the 6th (or so) ..and big hugs to you and Mom!

I ran down toward LA Fitness, but stopped a bit before I reached it.

I further honed my running skill. Who knew it could be so easy to fuck up running? Turns out I was striking too far back on my foot, and not picking my knees up enough. By picking my knees up further I am able to bend forward at the hips and use the momentum to gravitate forward, thus increasing my speed and times, and using less energy.

Keeping my runs at 30-45 min till I perfect my form and get used to the new dynamic.

Amy, I thought in my text you said to come down on the 4th after 4? Did you mean the 5th? Cause mom's appointment is on the 6th at 7 AM. Shoot he or I a text to clarify.

I quit. At least for now. I've tried running in everything, every way, and if one thing doesn't start hurting another does. I'm fraught with constant pain and discomfort and I am sick and tired. Maybe my body isn't built for this. I ran successfully in my old beat up Vibrams for years, albeit low mileage, but I still ran. Now I am miserable. I need time off, a week hasn't cut it, so I am going to quit for a while.

Great to find your log, I will be following along. I bounce between being a powerlifter and marathon/ultramarathoner...

2576_60401543719_1697946_n.jpg

Please feel free to ask if you need any help, advice or tips. I've ran 30+ half marathons, 10 full marathons and a couple of ultras... and I am still learning.

All the best with your journey, it's a humbling but extremely satisfying one

Edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Like Forrest Gump, ...run, kyle, run.

you think too much on your form while you are engaged.

Get healed, do something else in the interim, and start over with one goal...to just go out and run. If one has to think so much...its not natural! I would run tomorrow if I could...I can't...so, if you don't mind hearing an old lady run on a bit ( I can get Kevin over, ya know and he is MUCH older than me)...when you are done being hurt..just Run. Enjoy it. Have the Gratitude thing we were talking about last week! and if its not uour sport, fine...but there is NO QUITTING allowed. Changing course of actions, sport or plans is ok, but quitting is a no-no.

See ya Tuesday and give mom a hug! Rebitchka said to say hi as well.

Well said Diva, running should be a mental escape and one that pleases you. You will never get very far with your running pursuits/goals if you are not truly engaged in it; you have to learn how to become one with the act of running.

It's fine not to like it (it's not for everybody) but the 100 mile distance is a crazy, almost unrealistic goal if you're not able to get some solid blocks of consistent training in ~ it's okay to start small and work your way up. I found that not making any increases over 10% each week kept the niggles and injuries at bay. For example, if you run 50km this week the most you would run the following week is 55km, hope that makes sense ?! Take care, rest up, have fun and kick butt MF.

Thanks for the support guys. My knee is in bad shape and my pride is pretty hurt. I won't be doing anything other than walking for a couple weeks. I've been lifting every other day and walking 5 mi on the other days. Thanks Mini Forklift, I dig your log, glad to get you chimed in here bud.

Amy you said Tuesday again, did you mean Wednesday the 5th? lol. Text mom's cell phone and lemme know for sure. Hope you and the family are good. Love ya!

No worries buddy, thanks for checking in on my log as well ~ feel free to post or say what you want in there as well haha.

There's big ups & downs with running, much more so than with lifting. Assuming you have a bit of running experience under your belt and in your legs training for half marathons is easy, training for marathons is not too bad but more time consuming and training for ultras is on a whole new level. When you're clocking 100+miles a week you have to expect your moods, libido and appetite to be somewhat 'screwed'. You also have to try and remember that the 99% of the public (that's probably 100% of your family and friends) will start to class you as crazy, mad and no longer a normal member of society

I hope you can get back on your feet, reset yourself and continue to get out there; walking 5 miles at a time is a great start. Once this becomes easy or you feel you want to increase the time/distance you can throw some jogging in with the walking. That's enough from me, time for bed. I'll check back in soon MF.

Thanks dude. I decided to take a minimum of 4 weeks off. When I reset what should I be doing for mileage? Just reset back at slow, 30 min runs every other and add 10% a week, listening to the old sack of bones?

I am doing 5 mile walks every other day. Sometimes split into two if the knee gets sore.

Thanks dude. I decided to take a minimum of 4 weeks off. When I reset what should I be doing for mileage? Just reset back at slow, 30 min runs every other and add 10% a week, listening to the old sack of bones?

I am doing 5 mile walks every other day. Sometimes split into two if the knee gets sore.

30min runs sounds about right to ease back into it, just take that first 2-4 weeks to gradually increase your time and distance until you are running an hour at a stretch. You'll be surprised at how quickly your run fitness returns, 4 weeks is not a big deal in the big scheme of things.

Maybe have a look at a good quality flax oil and glucosamine at some point (you can get vegan ones which are shellfish free, Solgar make a good 1,000mg one). Would be good for the knees.