Chewy's Strength Log

That's a great photo, who pissed in the sports bottle though ?!
No running water in the warehouse, we need to keep ourselves hydrated somehow

Mon 16th July 2012

Bodyweight = 85.9kg

Squat (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x5x120kg

1x5x135kg

1x1x155kg (beltless PB)

Push Press

1x3x50kg

1x3x60kg

1x8x67.5kg

Strict Press

1x3x50kg

1x2x60kg

1x2x67.5kg

Pullups (wide grip)

5 +10kg

5 +20kg (not bad! all from dead hang)

Dips

5 +10kg

5 +20kg chain

Good graft today

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great power and intensity on the squats mate.

Careful of how your knees are tracking, you can your right knee edging inwards on the ascent. Not all of the reps, but something to be aware of. Bloody good form and technique though.

I've been getting into the pressing again over the last week or so as I know I've been neglecting the OH lifts a litttle. Really enjoying it and I'm sure it will help my benching too. Much on for the weekend?

Careful of how your knees are tracking, you can your right knee edging inwards on the ascent. Not all of the reps, but something to be aware of. Bloody good form and technique though.
You're right man, I don't think it'd happen if my right foot wasn't angled out more than the left. I think it's down to ankle mobility, will work on it!

Really enjoying it and I'm sure it will help my benching too. Much on for the weekend?
Yeah, out with mates tomorrow night. Gonna be messy. Sleep and recover hopefully the rest of it. Unless I get an offer for Saturday that is

Wed 18th July 2012

Bodyweight = 86.7kg

Cambered bar squats (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x5x117.5kg

1x5x135kg

2.5" Deficit Deadlifts (no belt)

1x5x110kg

1x5x150kg

1x5x170kg

Bench

1x5x70kg

1x3x80kg

1x4x90kg (new 4RM)

Dog Sled

(2x12m) x10 (about 30-60 seconds rest between sets), died. 50kg on top of whatever the sled weighs

Wasn't planning on doing deficits no belt, but they felt good and I was worried a belt was gonna fuck up my positioning. Bench was getting a bit of pain in my bicep tendon (left arm) but haven't felt anything since. Will lay off bench a couple of weeks and get some more overhead work in.

Fri 20th July 2012

Log (wooden)

1x3x60kg

1x3x65kg

2+F x70kg

1x7x60kg

Farmers walk

105kg for 12m

125kg for 12m

See video for time, first time holding quarter of a tonne in my hands

Medley

200kg Yoke, 50kg Dog Sled push, 120kg Duck Walk, Dog Sled Pull

57:57 seconds

Stone Run

80kg, 100kg, 120kg

Run 1: 26:82s

Run 2: 18:66s

Run 3: 15s

Mon 23rd July 2012

Bodyweight = 86.7kg

Squat (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x2x130kg

1x4x145kg

Push Press

1x3x55kg

1x3x65kg

1x6x72.5kg

Strict Press

1x3x50kg

1x1x60kg

1x3x65kg

Pullups

1x10 +10kg

1x7

Dips

16, 7

Wed 25th July 2012

Cambered Bar Squat (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x3x125kg

1x3x145kg

2.5" Deficit Deadlift (no belt)

1x5x110kg

1x5x150kg

1x5x180kg

Bench with a log

1x10x80kg

1x5x90kg

Good graft in all these workouts! Numbers are speaking for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still pushing the big weights around? Did we finally lose you to veganfitness.net?

BTW, I've been following your log since I joined this forum. I'm not sure why I've never posted anything to it before, but your commitment, consistency, drive, and results are impressive and inspiring. Keep at it man, all the best!

Are you still pushing the big weights around? Did we finally lose you to veganfitness.net?

BTW, I've been following your log since I joined this forum. I'm not sure why I've never posted anything to it before, but your commitment, consistency, drive, and results are impressive and inspiring. Keep at it man, all the best!

Thanks mate! I just copy and paste my log from one forum into the other, and post on both forums (not as frequently now right enough) - so will always be on both!

Jeez - it's been ages since I've updated this, and A LOT has happened;

So with 4 days notice I filled in for a team for a strongman competition;

Callander Highland Games - Local Heroes Strongman Competition

Sat 28th July 2012

Bodyweight = 86.5kg

Weather was real shitty, rained heavily for the majority of the day. Got there about 11 I think, started about 1, left about 6pm.

Tandem Log - Only a 2 man event so I sat this one out.

Atlas Stones - Only manged 1 out 4 stones, the 90kg one. Was absolutey pishing it down and stones were covered in grass. Couldn't grip the 2nd stone at all.

Yoke - 190kg for 40m (on a soggy uneven field)

Pole Push - got fucked in both rounds. basically the opposite of a tug of war. log with rope handles on it, have to push the other team back over the line.

70kg Keg Run - Shit event. I asked one referee before I started if it needed to be sat upright and he said no. During the event I got called back to sit it upright. Was raging but wouldn't have affected the final standings.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chewybaws/callander.jpg

3rd out of 6 teams Not bad considering there was no weight class and we were the lightest team by far.

On this workout bar was uncomfortable on back, hurting my bicep tendon. Dull pain from shoulder down my arm. Reckon it was from stones at the comp.

Mon 30th July 2012

Bodyweight = 85.8kg

First time wearing belt on squats in a while, felt really unnatural and could feel it sliding about

Squat (belt)

Got 1 rep at 155kg, 2nd rep nearly died. Pushed forward out the bottom, went onto my toes and had to bolt it out the rack to escape the bar, good thing I had spotters. See video.

Attempt 2 - unracked the weight, stepped back, was hurting bicep tendon too much.

Attempt 3 - 3x155kg bicep tendon sore as fuck, had to call the session there and nail some ibuprofen.

Wed 1st August 2012

Cambered Bar Squat (belt)

Single at 160kg, pretty comfy.

2.5" Deficit Deadlifts (no belt)

1x5x150kg

1x5x190kg (absolutely solid, was in a great position as well)

Push Press

1x9x65kg

Fri 3rd August 2012

Bodyweight = 86.3kg

Log

1x8x60kg

Farmers

95kg each hand for 20 metres

Run 1 - 15:31s

Run 2 - 14:43s

Run 3 - 13:29s

Yoke

200kg (20m one way, 20m back - 40m total)

39 seconds

Back felt like shit after this session. Felt better but then bad when I woke up on Sunday, took Monday off training.

Wed 8th August 2012

Deadlift (belt)

1x3x180kg

1x6x200kg (new 6RM!)

Bench

1x7x80kg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chewybaws/6RM.jpg

Snakebacked the deadlifts like a twat. My position was much better doing deficits the last 3 weeks. There's no reason why I can't do 6x200 with a straight back. As my boss said, "the last rep kinda looked like a dog doing a shit". The bar seemed so close to me after doing deficits for 3 weeks that I felt like I could just grab it and pick it up without thinking. Will sort it out for next week and sit right down into them. First time benching in ages, felt fine - just a bit weak.

Fri 10th August 2012

Bodyweight = 85.8kg

So found out this day that I was once again standing in for a strongman comp on Saturday. Back had been shitty all week, but mate needed someone for his team. Done some overhead this day because I knew probability of me doing overhead events at comp were low;

Log

1x6x65kg - surprised I got this cause warmups felt heavy as fuck

Yoke

Just one run with 220kg for 12m, picked up serious speed towards the end. Need to start nailing the pickup, more practice needed

World Pipe Band Championships, Glasgow Green - Local Heroes Strongman Comp

Sat 11th August 2012

Bodyweight = 85.9kg

Lovely weather, very sunny and warm. Lot of people there to watch. Got there at 10:30, started lifting around 12-1 I think. Only 3 teams showed up.

Tandem log - 2 man event, again didn't do it

Atlas stones - 3 out of 4 stones, 90/100/110kg. Failed 120kg - should have got it. Seemed a bit slippier than other stones, had a bit more grass stuck to the tacky.

Medley - each team member took either 190kg yoke, 65kg farmers or 70kg keg, I took farmers (was about 40m - 20m each way)

Aluminium block carry - Bit of a bullshit event. It was for maximum distance, after one team member drops it, next person goes (other 2 members pick it up). Once all 3 have been your total laps/distance is measured. Was better than the fucking keg carry at the last comp though, that was a joke.

Pole push - Was a battle for 2nd place and we beat the team we had to, got beat by the time that came first. Unlike the last games which was just a straight line, this time it was a circle you had to push the other team out of.

2nd out of 3 teams

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chewybaws/pipeband.jpg

Body's sore after this comp, calves/thighs/back/forearms/biceps/traps/grip.

Phew, that was a big update. In other news I'm seeing a new lady just now which is cool. She isn't vegan but has cooked me a few meals already

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Pretty much didn't train last week, back was fucked.

Fri 17th August 2012

Pullups

1x5

1x5 +10kg

1x6 +20kg

Mon 20th August 2012

Bodyweight = 85kg (extremely hungover saturday, not much eating over weekend)

Squats (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x5x120kg

1x5x130kg

Bench

1x3x75kg

1x5x85kg

1x3x90kg

Pullups

1x5

1x5 +10kg

1x6 +20kg

Wed 22nd August 2012

Bodyweight = 85.8kg

Cambered Bar Squat

1x5x100kg

1x5x120kg

1x5x130kg

Deadlift (with belt)

1x2x190kg

1x2x210kg

1x1x230kg (PB, 3.5kg lighter BW than old 227.5kg)

Pause Bench

1x1x82.5kg

1x1x90kg (PB - old was 87.5kg)

1x1x95kg (PB)

Good to nail some PB's, actually been over a year since I hit one on deadlift.

Really awesome deadlifting man! Congrats on the PR!

Your log has really inspired me since I discovered this site back in May, chewy! I became vegan 3 months ago (after being lacto-ovo for 9 years) and joined a gym and started stronglifts 6 weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken you've been pursuing strength for about 3 years now. Wondering what kind of general advice from your learning experience you would offer to someone who has just started this path.

Cheers,

BigRed

Thanks guys!

BigRed, in no particular order

- Don't give a shit about abs or bodyfat, eat enough every week so your bodyweight is going up gradually. First few years are about building a solid strength base and muscle

- Don't get obsessed with hitting every bodypart and don't 'concentrate' on areas that appear smaller than others. Do compound free weight lifts and everything will balance out (Squats/Deadlift/Overhead Press/Bench Press/Barbell Rows/Pullups should be the base of any good strength program)

- Look after your body. You can't lift if you're injured. http://www.mobilitywod.com/ is an unbelievable free resource, watch the videos from the earliest post. If you don't have sufficient flexibility, it will become a problem later on - count on it. If you have unlimited enthusiasm like most new lifters do, spend it on mobility work. Not wrist curls and calf raises.

- Keep your main work lowish reps and heavy. Lifting heavy is the key to get strong.

- Remember that building strength and muscle is a marathon, not a sprint. Be patient. Keep lifting heavy and eating enough to gain weight, take care of your muscles.

I could actually go on forever here, all based on mistakes I've made really. Hope it helps

Fri 27th August 2012

Bodyweight = 86.1kg

Log

1x5x60kg

1x3x70kg

1x1x77.5kg (PB)

Farmers walk

105kg each hand for 10m

115kg each hand for 10m

130kg each hand for 7.8m (first time holding triple bodyweight in my hands, 573lbs for americans )

Mon 27th August 2012

Bodyweight = 84.8kg

Squat (no belt)

1x5x110kg

1x3x130kg

1x4x140kg

Bench

1x5x70kg

1x3x80kg

1x1x90kg

1x2x95kg (old 1RM)

1x1x100kg (new PB, and a milestone finally hit)

Thanks guys!

BigRed, in no particular order

- Don't give a shit about abs or bodyfat, eat enough every week so your bodyweight is going up gradually. First few years are about building a solid strength base and muscle

- Don't get obsessed with hitting every bodypart and don't 'concentrate' on areas that appear smaller than others. Do compound free weight lifts and everything will balance out (Squats/Deadlift/Overhead Press/Bench Press/Barbell Rows/Pullups should be the base of any good strength program)

- Look after your body. You can't lift if you're injured. http://www.mobilitywod.com/ is an unbelievable free resource, watch the videos from the earliest post. If you don't have sufficient flexibility, it will become a problem later on - count on it. If you have unlimited enthusiasm like most new lifters do, spend it on mobility work. Not wrist curls and calf raises.

- Keep your main work lowish reps and heavy. Lifting heavy is the key to get strong.

- Remember that building strength and muscle is a marathon, not a sprint. Be patient. Keep lifting heavy and eating enough to gain weight, take care of your muscles.

I could actually go on forever here, all based on mistakes I've made really. Hope it helps

Dude, thanks for the reply! Lots of good stuff here.

-Man, the belly fat thing is tough. It's hard seeing my abs turn to flab. Especially when it seems like it grows so much faster than my skinny arms and legs! So far, since I started StrongLifts (just finished 7th week) my weight gain averages out to about +1 lb/wk. Do you think that sounds reasonable or too much too soon?

-Yeah, I'm stinking with the basic StrongLifts program pretty strictly. A: squat/bench/row (I add dips) and B: squat/OHP/deadlift (I add chinups) ...I'm glad you said that though because I can see my thighs and my lats growing but my arms and calves look so skinny I question a lot whether I should be doing bicep curls or whatever because it seems disproportionately skinny.

-Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. I certainly want to do what I can to prevent injury...had been thinking about yoga...

-Low reps = 5x5 so far. Heavy - as I'm still only 7 weeks in, most of the exercises are not heavy yet, but I know they'll get there eventually.

-I hear you about the marathon/sprint thing. I've had a lot of experiences in my life that have taught me patience and long term thinking, and I'm trying to apply that mindset to my strength as well.

Thanks again for the thoughtful advice, and congrats on the bench PR!

Cheers,

BigRed

Don't worry man, I spent the better part of my 3 years obsessing over how I look. 1lb/week sounds good as long as it's consistent. 5x5 is fine for 7 weeks in. Seeing any difference in your body after 7 weeks is a good sign - it's not a lot of time. Honestly don't worry about proportions between muscles, it'll take your focus away from getting strong.

Wed 29th August 2012

Bodyweight = 85.8kg

Safety Bar Squat (no belt)

1x5x105kg

1x5x125kg (graft)

Deadlift

1x5x127.5kg

1x4x167.5kg

1x1x200kg (belt on for this set, felt like shit.)

1x2x220kg (pretty sure a new double PB, felt easy)

Bench

1x5x70kg (felt like shit, heavy and sore joints - made right decision to call it there)

at night;

Pullups

1x5 +10kg

1x3 +17.5kg

1x4 +25kg

1x15

all reps from a dead hang

Few lower body stretches and foam rolled.

Fri 31st August 2012

Bodyweight = 85.9kg

Log

1x4x70kg

then floor to overhead in 75s;

1x5x70kg

Farmers

100kg for 12m

Run 1; 7.18s

Run 2; 6.??s

Medley

200kg yoke, sled push, 200kg, sled pull in 44:81s

Atlas Stones

115kg stone to high platform x1

Sat 1st September 2012

Pullups

1x5

1x5 +10kg

1x5 +20kg

Drank way too much saturday night and ate barely anything sunday...

Mon 3rd September

Bodyweight = 84.4kg

Squat (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x2x130kg called it here, felt like shit and wrist too sore a.k.a. swollen vagina

PM;

Front squat (no belt) (weirdly enough didn't aggravate my wrist)

1x3x110kg

1x2x122.5kg (double PB)

1x1x132.5kg (PB)

1x7x100kg

Tried benching, wrist too fucked

Chins

1x12

No training on Friday, vagina was swollen.

Mon 10th September 2012

Bodyweight = 85.7kg

Squats (no belt)

1x3x130kg

1x3x150kg

Push Press

1x6x70kg

Strict Press

1x5x70kg

Pullups

1x11 +10kg

1x10 (chins for this set)

Wed 12th September 2012

Bodyweight = 86.4kg

Barbell rows

2x5x82.5kg

Safety bar squat (no belt)

1x3x120kg

1x1x145kg

Deadlift (belt)

1x2x190kg

1x4x217.5kg (:D)

Bench

1x8x80kg

wow, your progress is awesome.

What do you eat on a typical day?

Thanks mate

Typical day;

Breakfast - Muesli + Soy Milk, Banana, Protein shake in orange juice

Lunch - Hummus sandwiches, 2 pieces of fruit, Protein shake in soy milk

Dinner - Quinoa, Kidney Beans in a Tomato sauce, Steamed kale later on

Vitamin D, B12, Multivitamin, Omega Oils, Creatine for supplements. Trying to add more veg in.

Fri 14th September 2012

Bodyweight = 85.9kg

Log

1x5x70kg

Farmers

120kg each hand for 10m (quite quick considering the weight, see video)

Sled dragging with harness - was loaded too heavy for me first run, hard as fuck! Last run went better with a bit of weight off

Mon 17th September 2012

Squat (no belt)

1x5x130kg

1x1x150kg

1x1x160kg (beltless PB, and easy)

Bench

1x6x85kg

Pullups

6 +15kg

Wed 19th September 2012

Bodyweight = 85.4kg

Barbell rows

2x5x85kg

Front Squat (no belt)

1x5x100kg

1x4x120kg (4RM)

Deadlift (belt)

1x2x185kg

1x1x205kg

1x3x225kg (new 3RM)

Push Press

1x4x75kg (4 fails really, lockout felt horrible)

Strict press

1x7x55kg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone, was just taking a break from logging. I had a note of some of the stuff I was doing, but not all of it. Robert, that is Brian - still Vegan and training. I've worked for his company Strength Shop since the end of May. Notable vegan items that can be a pain to find elsewhere are the weightlifting shoes and powerlifting belts

First a quick non training update. Things are really great just now, I'm happy with my now-girlfriend that I met 3 or 4 months ago. Just had my first week off since starting my job (which I'm still loving) and had a great holiday away, went to Orkney (island off the north cost of Scotland) for a few days during. Went for a lot of walks and was so relaxing.

Deep breath, here we go;

Fri 21st September 2012

Bodyweight = 86.4kg

Solo training session, remember feeling weak and shitty this day

Log

1x2x70kg

2 fails at 80kg

1x4x60kg

Yoke

200kg for 40m (4 x 10m)

220kg for 10m

220kg for 10m

Circus DB

Couple of sets of 5 with 31kg (done both hands)

Atlas Stones

115kg for a few singles to lower platform, no tacky

Mon 24th September

Bodyweight = 85.2kg

High Bar Squat

1x8x125kg

Push Press

1x10x60kg

Strict Press

1x8x50kg

Pullups

(can't remember)

Wed 26th September 2012

Bodyweight = 87.1kg

Barbell Rows

2x5x87.5kg

Front Squat

1x5x115kg (wider stance, looks quicker on video than it felt!)

Deadlift

1x205kg

1x225kg

1x240kg (+10kg PB)

1x245kg (+15kg PB) - 540lbs

Massive PB

Bench

1x5x90kg

Fri 28th September 2012

Bodyweight = 86.5kg

Axle (all single PB's, first time bodyweight overhead)

1x 82.5kg

1x 87.5kg

1x 90kg

Yoke

260kg for 10m

Medley

160kg yoke 10m

110kg Sled push

160kg yoke 10m

110kg Sled drag

Atlas Stones

115kg for 75seconds - 2 reps and a fail

Mon 1st October 2012

High bar Squat

1x5x140kg

Push Press

1x7x65kg + a fail

Strict Press

1x3x62.5kg

Pullups

13 on forklift, 2 more sets to failure

Wed 3rd October

Bodyweight = 86.3kg

Barbell Rows

2x5x90kg (not 100% sure)

Safety bar squat (no belt)

1x3x140kg

3" Deficit Deadlifts (no belt)

1x2x190kg

Pullups

(can't remember)

Fri 5th October 2012

Bodyweight = 86kg

Axle

3x3x75kg

Viking Press

1x5x85kg

1x4x90kg

1x3x95kg (not sure on reps for each)

Head to head farmers walk

105kg for 10m, 2 runs

Farmers hold

125kg (each hand), 2 times. First was 21s, 2nd 27s

Mon 8th October 2012

Bodyweight = 84.2kg

High bar squats (no belt)

1x150kg

1x6x130kg

Push press

1x8x70kg + a fail

Strict press

1x3x65kg

Pullups

1x15 (from dead hang)

Wed 10th October 2012

Bodyweight = 86.4kg

Barbell Rows

1x10x75kg

1x5x85kg

1x5x90kg (more sets than this, can't remember)

Safety bar squats (no belt)

1x150kg

3" deficit deadlifts (no belt)

1x5x170kg

Pullups

+10kg 10 reps

Sat 13th October 2012

@Crossfit Aberdeen - Work was too busy to train on Friday, so when I was up to see my girlfriend I found a crossfit place to use, got the session for free

High bar squat (no belt)

1x3x140kg

Strict Press

2x5x50kg

Deadlifts (no belt)

1x5x180kg

Chinups on gymnastic rings

11, 2 more sets to failure

Pretty much week off training (holiday from work) with the exception of this;

Wed 17th October

On holiday to Orkney with the missus, walked to a pebble beach @ Scapa Flow.

Stone lifts, stone clean and presses, stone rows, stone tricep extensions, stone throws, walk with stone, box jumps onto ridge, piggybacking girlfriend. Full body workout, caveman style.

Towards the end of the week done 15 pullups at a park on a thick bar.

Mon 22nd October 2012

Bodyweight = 84.5kg

Squats (with 20kg chains each side - not completely unloading off the ground at the top, no belt)

1x2x110kg

1x3x120kg

1x1x130kg

Push Press

1x11x62.5kg

Strict Press

1x4x60kg

Pullups

1x9 +12.5kg

1x6