Mythil's training record, finally

Easy way to explain....

Let's say your 1 rep max on squats is a 100kg (easy number) 90% of that being 90kg, this now is your current max. Now you will work off of 90% (90kg) for your first cycle, so week one would be 65% 75% 85% of that 90%. So working sets for squats would be (I'm rounding here) 57.5kg(65%)-70kg(75%-77.5kg (85%).

After the deload week you will add 5kg to that 90kg, now your max is 95kg & you work with the percentages over the weeks. Complete cycle 2, cycle 3 your max will now be 100kg.

2.5 (5lb) added to bench/over head press & 5kg (10lb) to deads & squats.

Heh, I get it now, I feel so dumb as it was quite easy..

You only do the 5/3/1 lift on week 3 and the rest you do 4x5 or 3 or whatever.

I've got to the end of the week for this routine and then I'll try the 5/3/1 with bodyweight assist for now.

Only issue it, on odd kg weight you can't really (at least at my gym) put that number on the bar. What do you do, round to the nearest 5?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

week one is 3x5, week 2 3x3, week 3 is 5/3/1...what i do is hit required reps on 3x5 then 3x3 i'll set myself a number for the last set, same as the 5/3/1 week...

I round the the nearest 2.5kg, my gym carries 1.25 plates so I can do it properly, thank god. I have the excel spreadsheet which maps it all for you, if you haven't already go it

week one is 3x5, week 2 3x3, week 3 is 5/3/1...what i do is hit required reps on 3x5 then 3x3 i'll set myself a number for the last set, same as the 5/3/1 week...

I round the the nearest 2.5kg, my gym carries 1.25 plates so I can do it properly, thank god. I have the excel spreadsheet which maps it all for you, if you haven't already go it

No I don't have the spreadsheet yet but I think I know what you're talking about..

Seems to help now that I'm looking at it but it's a bitch to work out KG to lbs and telling the sheet to work in 5 and 2.5k

No you just adjust it accordingly, there's nothing complicated about it at all. You just tell it to use lb/kg & what to round to

Oh I see, it wasn't the spreadsheet not working, was my office program not working

Well today was interesting, switched up to bodyweight exercises and the 5/3/1 program.

Well the crunches made my stomach area hurt, no really I could feel twitching there towards the end of the 4th set.

The swissball squats seemed fine until I left the gym, half way down the road my inner thighs just went "Muhaha, you thought you were getting away with that?"

Well just started the new program and I can safely say that my body hates me

Can't really complete a lot of the bodyweight exercises, maybe get to about 90% or 80% of what I need but that just shows I need to work harder.

Well it's Friday and I'm exhausted. I got to the pullups and my arms decided to go on holiday without prior notice

However, I'm going through the assistance exercises to see which I prefer, next week is the Triumvirate setup. We'll see what that's like!

Well so far everything is going well. I've been messing around with assistance work to see what I would prefer to do.

Currently my lifts are getting bigger and on the assistance work I do as heavy as I possibly can and then usual thing, if I can complete the sets, up the weights.

Only thing that's annoying is that I don't seem to be gaining, well, size. My weight has stayed between 165-167 and no noticeable improvement in muscle size but we'll see, still early days.

Also, why bicep curls you may ask? Well, vanity >.>

Check out my journal mate ~ the last month or so I feel like I have made some massive gains in muscle but the scales haven't moved AT ALL. I just put up a few recent photos on there, big improvements in my arms and delts but I still weigh a measly 139lb !!!

Don't sweat it, just keep lifting, eating and give yourself enough time to recover.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fine, I'm just fiddling with stuff right now. A few things IRL have kept me at my computer but haven't really been able to do "anything".

Well as far as things go I've been experimenting with a lot of the assistance work on the 5/3/1 program. Right now I'm trying the bodybuilding work as published here http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

I think the main lifts are getting better, slow progress as far as building size goes and I'm still having a bit of trouble shifting that last little bit of fat on my stomach. Will happen eventually though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far things are going 50/50.

I'm getting at lot stronger, hell now I can do a 90kg deadlift which is a 50kg improvement from when I started a year ago.

However, the down side is that I'm not getting much bigger. Everything is getting harder but not bigger and since one of my goals is to change my body shape that's a downer.

But maybe I just need to change stuff up. Maybe I'm doing to little or too much. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
I like how your thighs laugh at you that's funny stuff. I have definitely been talked to my body after workouts before that's for sure.

Sounds like you are really putting in some work though, well done.

-Dylan

Thanks. My body hates me, I can put it through the worst punishment but it would be just one small thing that makes me limp for a week.

Also, my body is odd in itself, it gets stronger but not bigger, no matter how much cardio I do or alter my diet I still get a bit of fat around the stomach.

However, seeing decent improvements all around.

Okay it's time for a change.

The 5/3/1 program has been good to me, and no I'm not about to drop it altogether. However, right now I need to work on my endurance and conditioning for my sport, strength is not a priority right now. I need to loose my last bits of weight and build more on my muscular endurance for a bit.

So I'm taking one or two months out to do something along those lines and then will start up the 5/3/1 program again. I'll post my endurance workout soon.

Okay here we go. This is not recorded as well as the 5/3/1 program but we'll see.

Monday:

Jogging, as much as I can do in thirty minutes

Incline DB Press: 10x6

Pullup: 10x6

DB Flyes: 10x6 (Machine if benches are taken)

BB Bent Row: 10x6

21's (I like them)

Wednesday:

Rowing, as much as I can do in thirty minutes

Deadlift: 10x6

Leg Curl: 10x6

Crunches: 3x12

Calf Press: 3x12

Friday:

Bike, as much as I can do in thirty minutes

Dips: 10x6

Hammer Curls: 10x6

Lying Rear Lat Raises: 3x12

Side Lat Raises: 3x12

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so, messing around with ideas of what I want to do to gain muscle.

If you haven't been following or are a bit lost I'm jumping back and forth between the 5/3/1 program (which I recommend for strength training) which allowed my to lift more and a program to pile on the cosmetic muscle.

• 4 weeks later...

Just letting you guys know, I'm not dead

I've kinda split my training into two month / one month periods.

Two months go into strength

Two go into body shaping

One goes into heavy conditioning (Reason why it's one, I don't want to loose too much mass).

Instead of changing my workout every time I switch months I may just put all of them up there at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Well new lifting routine is up, I bought a new steamer.. I really learned out to cook in a Japanese / Chinese style but now I'm just steaming everything, no oil.. Trying to cut out all the stuff that adds fat on. Also measuring body parts as a way to look at how far I'm coming along