Rossco's journal

Saturday 20/10/12

Just got back from work and was full of energy so thought I'd blast a few sets of conventional pull ups as I'm always doing chins with a hammer grip at the gym

Found this very difficult

x6

x5

x3 (and a half haha)

switched to chin ups

x6

x4

Abs for a few sets, crunches, weighted crunches, leg raises etc (:

This got me through it v

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I spent most of my day at college reading over ryans (vegan essentials) gregs (tallcanz) and mini fl's training logs and got stoked about the idea of powerlifting so I'm back on 5x5

anyone know decent brands for grippers? my grip is shite! :/

Monday 22/10/12 Bodyweight 77 Kg

Squat (safety bar)

Empty bar (25Kg) x 5

55 Kg x 5

75 Kg x 5

85 Kg x 5

90 Kg x 5

Need to get a bit lower next time, was gonna push for another set but trying to be a bit patient with my progression

Bench (had to use hammer strength machine which I personally find a lot harder :/)

empty x 10

20 Kg x 5

40 Kg x 5

50 Kg x 5

60 Kg x 5

65 Kg x 5

dips x10 x8 x8

knuckle pushups x20

then I died..

deadlifting and pullups on wednesday!

ps thanks for the inspiration dudes!

Wednesday 24/10/12 Bodyweight 78(ish)Kg

Gym was totally dead today which was great had a good laugh to!

Started with barbell shoulder press

20 Kg (empty bar) x 5

25 Kg x 5

30 Kg x 5

40 Kg x 5

40 Kg x 4 Had to use the power rack (cage) so was a bit awkward where I was seated, I've definitely lifted heavier for more reps before so felt a little disappointed..

Deadlifts, This is what I was looking forward to!

50 Kg x 5

60 Kg x 5

65 Kg x 5

70 Kg x 5

80 Kg x 3 Physically couldn't lift any heavier :/ but the guy who I had a run in with last week came over told me my form was good and that it was pretty heavy considering it's practically my first attempt. He then asked me about my training and how college was going so things are good at the gym now

no vid mainly because my buddy was lifting considerably less and the bars are awkward as fuck to get prepared for the next lift, I'll get a video on my next lift

then did some chins and pull ups which I totally failed at, was exhausted from deads ahha oh and some shrugs to. that ridiculous "gangum style" song was on and put me off my cooldown stretch ahha

Friday 26/10/12 Bodyweight 78.5Kg (ish)

Had a day off and spent the day doing fuck all so come training time I Felt crap and lazy, but the show must go on..

Bench press

20 Kg (empty bar) x 5 reps

40 Kg x 5 reps

50 Kg x 5 reps

60 Kg x 5 reps

65 Kg x 3 reps

60 Kg x 5 reps

A few sets on the hammer strength (bench machine)

65 Kg x 5 reps

70 Kg x 3 reps

72.5 Kg x 1 rep

25 press ups on knuckles

Dips

x10

x8

x8

Squats with safety bar

25 Kg (empty bar) x 5

65 Kg x 5

75 Kg x 5

85 Kg x 5

100 Kg x 5

felt fine, got a bit lower this time too

there was a deadlifting lesson going on next to me during the squats and I had a craving to do some, resisted thankfully ahha, waiting until monday night

Monday 29/10/12 Bodyweight 79 Kg

So it's half term which meant the gym was pretty dead, just a couple of instructors cleaning and a few guys using the machines, got soaked on the way to the gym as it was pissing down so needed a good session to cheer me up!

Dead lifts

60 Kg x 5

70 Kg x 5

80 Kg x 3

90 Kg x 3 < these were fucking ugly.. barely counted them but hey a Pb is a Pb so I'm happy regardless, my back is feeling a little funny now though :/ I guess I just suck at deadlifting, going to try and progress slowly from now on, 5 Kg at a time

Pull ups, at this point nicki minaj came on in the gym.. so I grabbed my headphones whacked out some A day to remember and hit some pull ups!

x8 PB!

x5

x4 Had enough at this point

Did a few sets on the lat pull down machine and seated row machine, don't know the weights as they go up in numbers instead of weight :/

Overall today was a good'en

Wednesday 31/10/12 Bodyweight 79 Kg

Didn't have a spotter today as it's halloween there's a bunch of wildlife talks and stuff going on at the steam railway and my training partner is there all day whereas I finished at 5, so.. no squats or bench despite it being squat and bench day. fuck! I thought I would improvise and have fun with tonights session

Hammer strength machine (bench press machine)

30 Kg x 5

50 Kg x 5

65 Kg x 5

72.5 Kg x 3

75 Kg x 1 don't know where this came from but at this point I was stoked and thought I would push some more..

77.5 Kg x 0 fucked it up :/ good job it was on a machine otherwise I wouldn't have a face right about now ahha, if only I could apply this bench strength to free weight bench press :/ next Monday I'm going for 65 Kg x 5 for bench and then a one rep max of 75, we'll see!

Wide Dips x10 x10 x10

Knuckle Press ups x 20

4 sets on the fly machine

Front raises

5 Kg plate x 8

10 Kg plate x 10

15 Kg plate x 10

Benching, DL's and squats... it's all simply a case of just being consistent with hitting them regularly and backing it up with good nutrition. I got really burnt out from a meet I did back in February and ended up taking two months off the gym, when I came back I was struggling to bench 60kg for a couple of good reps lol.

Read up on training (internet and magazines are good, there are some great books out there if you have some spare $$) and pick a programme. Stick with it for 3-4 months before you change and reach your own conclusions; by trying out different approaches you'll gradually find out what does and doesn't work for you. Never be embarrassed by what you are lifting as that's simply where you're at right now ~ nothing more, nothing less. Just my 2c of course, chur chur MF.

Hey mini, well I have been lifting on an off for quite a while followed a basic bodybuilding programme after reading roberts book. Thought about stronglifts but don't like the 3 days squatting a week ahha. I'm gonna keep at what I'm doing at the mo because the progress is actually okay just a bit slow. After christmas I'm thinking of doing wendlers 5/3/1 after hearing great things about it

It does look good, had a browse earlier and read an interview with the man himself and I've gotta say I was less than impressed at how arrogant and aggressive he comes across.. not that I care as long as his programme works ahha

Friday 2/11/12 Bodyweight 79Kg ish

Tonights playlist consisted of Your Demise, The Red Chord and Dead Swans, everything is better with hardcore.

Dead lifts!

40 Kg x 5

60 Kg x 4

80 Kg x 4

Had a little rest grabbed my ipod and busted out a Pb!

90 Kg x 3 I put 95 Kg on and thought, fuck it I'll make it even

100 Kg x 1 My grip failed me but if I hadn't had to put it down to the floor I could have nailed another rep

100 Kg (mixed grip) x 1.

Decided to call it quits and not get ahead of myself, definitely need to train my grip more often!

Overhead press Dumbbells (the weight is for each dumbbell)

10 Kg x 6

15 Kg x 5

17.5 Kg x 5

20 Kg x 5

20 Kg x 5

22.5 Kg x 1 better than 0

assistance lifts

Side raises (weight per dumbbell)

7.5 Kg x 8

10 Kg x 5

12.5 Kg x 5

15 Kg x 5

15 Kg x 5

chin ups, completely exhausted but really wanted to do them

3 Had enough

Then did a few sets on a seated row machine before I cooled down and stretched.

I'll have a spotter on Monday so back to squats, not gonna go heavy just gonna work on technique and getting lower.

Gyms closed for a couple of days :/ decided to do a light workout at home and then get back on squats wednesday!

Monday 5/11/12 bodyweight 79 Kg ish

wide grip pullups (SO DIFFICULT)

x 4 increased rest time from 1 to 2 minutes

Close grip chin ups

x 4 Did these as slow as possible

Barbell bicep curls.. I know.. but I never do them and I'm limited at home.

15 Kg x 8

17.5 Kg x 8

20 Kg x 8

25 Kg x 6

20 Kg x 8

Called it off there as I was ridiculously hungry! gonna use my grip trainer at some point this evening if I get a chance, I have a real problem with the grip in my left arm :s