Asparagus Strength Journey

Heh, nothing in the table yet. No one seems interested so I'm probably going to delete the post after another week or so.

You seem to have a decent number of followers here so maybe having you down will spur some interest! Of course, it would probably help if there was actually a table up! I'll get to work...

Full steam ahead, looks like just getting a couple of us onto it was all that was needed to get the ball rolling aye.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm glad there's some interest. I'm sure it will just take some time to fill out.

It looks like it is, good to have some friendly competition. Need to bring my squat up, that's my priority now for the next 6 months or so as it's pretty shit if I'm brutally honest; it should be not that far off my DL, at the moment there's a massive gap that needs to be closed

It looks like it is, good to have some friendly competition. Need to bring my squat up, that's my priority now for the next 6 months or so as it's pretty shit if I'm brutally honest; it should be not that far off my DL, at the moment there's a massive gap that needs to be closed

What do you think is the major sticking point keeping your squats so far behind your deadlift? You can leg press a fair amount of weight, so your legs should be pretty strong? I recall you mentioned you had good proportions for deadlifting, perhaps those same proportions limit your squat?

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 1

5x100 jump rope alternated w/ 5x2 very wide grip pullups

Deadlift

2x5x135 lbs hook

5x175 hook

5x220 hook

5x260 hook

5x300 hook

11x340 over/under w/ chalk

3 sets:

3xBW+25 lbs pullups (VE style - pause at bottom) immediately into

30 seconds bar hang @ BW+25 lbs

60 seconds rest

Killed it! 9 reps on the deadlift final set would have been on par with what I've done the first week of every previous cycle, but I went in telling myself I was going to do 10 today. The bar was just flying up off the floor on each of my warmups and the final set was no different. I easily made it to the 10th rep and felt good for another. I had to hitch a little at the top of #11, but I got it. Man, that feels good!

The deadlift portion took a while so I had to cut the workout short. Instead of doing the planned GHR, leg raise, and bar hold, I just did a few sets of weighted pullups and weighted bar hangs.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 1

5x100 jump rope alternated w/ 5x3 widest grip pullups

Bench:

10x45 lbs

5x85

5x115

5x145

5x165

7x190

DB Rows: 2x10x50 lbs, 25x80 lbs

Dips @ BW: 5x11

Bar hold: 135 lbs - 60 seconds DOH, 225 - 30 secs DOH, 315 - 15 secs hook grip

Should have been able to get another rep or 2 on bench. Everything else went fine. Felt great on the rows and dips, happy to get 25 reps on Kroc rows and finish the 5 sets of dips. Getting slowly closer to my BW exercise goals of 5x10 pullups and 5x15 dips.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 1

4x100 jump rope alternated w/ 4x2 widest grip pullups

Squat, low bar

10x45 lbs

5x95

5x145

5x185

5x215

5x240

2x280 fail set

5x280

Skipped assistance.

I failed the first try at a set of 280 lbs. I let my torso get out a bit too far forward at the bottom of the lift and I folded. The legs were good to push it up but my core couldn't handle the weight. Dumped the bar on the pins, racked it, and went again. I probably could have hit 1 or 2 more reps with a bit of a pause between them, but I was fine that I at least did 5. Had to cut the workout short so I skipped the assistance today. I think I'm going to start squatting a bit more frequently. As it stands I'm only squatting once every 9-10 days, and I think my form is starting to suffer for it. Even if I'm only going to 75-85% of my max on the non-main-squat days, I think I need to start doing it again. It will make my workouts a little longer, but I think it needs to happen.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 2

4x100 jump rope alternated w/ 4x2 widest grip pullups

OHP

10x45 lbs

5x85

3x110

3x125

5x140

Squat, high bar, ATG: 10x45 lbs, 5x135, 5x225

Klokov press: 5x45 lbs, 5x75, 5x95

Pullups: 8,8,8,8,7

Shrugs: 2x5x135 lbs, 15x225

I could have hit 6 reps on the 140 lbs press, but decided to keep it in the tank. I've been going all out on the final set of each lift - only a couple of times did I decide to leave some in the tank. I've read about it in a few T-Nation articles, so I'm going to give it a try and only go all out on the last heavy set of each cycle. I've been progressing well enough so far, but I'm happy to try it out.

Decided I'm going to do daily squats, even if it's only a few sets as assistance. It will give me more work on my form and hopefully I'll feel better going into each heavy squat day.

Tried out the Klokov press today. Barely pushed out 5 at 95 lbs. It seemed to stress my front delts a bit more than the standard press. Interesting to try, but not sure if I'm going to add it to my rotation.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 2

Deadlift

2x5x135 lbs hook

5x185 hook

5x225 hook

5x255 hook

3x280 hook

3x320 hook

7x360 mixed

Squat, high bar, ATG: 10x45 lbs, 5x135, 2x5x225

GHR: 3x15

wide grip Pullups/hang hold, BW+25 lbs: 3/40 seconds, 4/30 seconds, 4/20 seconds

Hang hold, BW: 60 seconds

I decided to try hook grip on my last two sets, even though I know it starts to give out around 315. Managed the 320 pretty well so I was confident going into the 360 with hook grip. Hit the first two reps and knew it would barely hold for another so I switched to over/under for the rest of the set. Wished I could have finished the set but it's still better performance than in the past with hook grip so I'm happy with it.

I decided that instead of alternating between parallel and ATG squats on my squat days, I'm just going to do below-parallel on my squat days and ATG as assistance on all the other days. I really like the feeling of how easy ATG 225 lbs squats have become, although the second set was noticeably harder today, probably due to being after deadlifts. Add the GHRs to the mix and my legs are pretty beat now.

I like the weighted pullups going into a hang-hold after deadlifting. Not only does it work on shoulders/upper back, but adds grip strength training and hopefully some spinal decompression. Although I'm not sure how good it is to do hangs with a weighted belt, given the pelvic tilt induced by the way the belt sits with the weight hanging off it. It doesn't seem quite as natural a position and I don't seem to get the same kind of back stretch as I do without a weight belt.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 2

Bench

10x45 lbs

5x85

5x125

3x155

3x180

5x200

DB Row: 2x10x50 lbs, 26x80

Dips: 11,11,11,9,6

Skipped squats and bar holds today.

Wasn't feeling it today. Ended up with poor bench performance. My elbows were swinging a little wide on the bench and I didn't like what my shoulders were doing. No pain or such, but didn't care for the form. Got to the gym late so I had to cut the workout short.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 2

Squat, low bar, parallel

10x45 lbs

5x95

5x145

5x195

3x230

3x260

5x295

Good morning: 10x45 lbs, 10x95, 10x145, 10x135

Bar hold, hook grip: 135 lbs - 60 seconds, 225 -30, 315 - 15, 405 - 5

I just realized that I didn't stretch out today after the workout. I was in a rush to get back to the office and planned to do it then but got sidetracked. Oh well, should be fine as it wasn't a super heavy day today.

Went deep on all squats save the last set. I only went to parallel on those. I probably should have gone deep but wasn't feeling it. Also left a rep in the tank, I could have done another. I'll push hard next week when I do my heaviest squat of the cycle.

Since my next cycle is going to be interrupted by the Christmas holiday (gym at my University is closed for 10 days) I think I'm going to test my maxes the last week before the break. Then after the holiday I'll either start Cycle 6 or maybe switch to Madcow for 12 weeks. Still thinking about it.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 3

5x100 jump rope alternated w/ 5x2 widest grip pullups

OHP

5x45 lbs

5x85

5x120

3x135

4x150

Squats, high-bar, ATG: 10x45 lbs, 10x135, 5x225, 5x225

Shrugs: 2x5x135 lbs, 17x225

Pullups, alternating grips: 5x8

Bar hang: 50 seconds

A bit disappointed on the 4x150 OHP. I wanted to get 5 reps, but halfway up the bar stopped moving. I push-pressed it up afterwards just for the mental satisfaction. That keeps my theoretical 1RM at 169 lbs. When I try to max out in a few weeks I'll see if I can hit 175.

Happy about finally hitting 5x8 on pullups. Now I can start the next arduous chapter of pullups and try to hit 5x9. It took me 2 months to get from 5x7 to 5x8, so it will probably be another 2 months. I also want to try to hit some muscle-ups. Last time I tried them was 2-3 months ago and I couldn't hit one. Skipped bar holds as I was running out of time. Did a bar hang as an afterthought while I was stretching out.

5/3/1 cycle 5 Set 3

5x100 jump rope, 5x3 widest grip pullups

Deadlift

5x135 lbs hook

5x225 hook

5x300 hook

3x340 over/under

6x380 over/under

skipped assistance

The pull went well. Not easy, but I didn't really struggle with it either. Looking forward to testing my 455 lbs max pull next month!

*Edit- I listed my theoretical max pull at 475 lbs, which I just noticed was incorrect. According to my spreadsheet that does all the calculations automatically my max should be 455 lbs. I might feel bold and go for 465, but 475 is probably still a few months off.

Edited by asparagus

Somewhere in between I guess? On the 11x340 lbs I did at the start of this cycle it was touch and go, but usually I let the bar rest on the floor for a split second between reps. I don't bounce it off the floor, but I don't let it sit so long that I have to worry about losing tension.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 3

5x100 jump rope, 5x3 widest grip pullups

Bench:

5x45 lbs

5x85

5x125

5x165

3x190

5x210

Squat, high bar, ATG: 10x45 lbs, 10x135, 2x10x225

DB Row: 2x10x50 lbs, 25x80

Dips: 11,11,11,7,7

Bar hold, hook grip: 135 lbs - 60 seconds, 225 - 40, 315 - 20

No numerical improvement on bench, but I probably could have done 1/2 or more of the 6th rep, so there is probably a minute gain there. The last two sets of squats were killer. I was seriously winded after them. I had to pause a bit between some of the reps. I can feel it in my abs now! Everything else went OK, although I was hoping for better on the dips.

Gym's closed on Friday for the Thanksgiving Holiday, so heavy squats on Monday. Happy Thanksgiving to all my gym bros and gals here at VBBF. On that note, I'll post something in the Recipes forum...

I don't really notice whether I'm hungrier after legs. I generally eat the same thing every day, and my wake-up through preworkout meals are always the same, pretty much at the same times each day. That might be why I'm not really gaining weight at the moment, as I'm eating just about enough to keep me lifting and gaining strength. Although my bathroom scale read 202.6 lbs before bed on Thursday night (post-Thanksgiving dinner)! It did go back down to 198 the next morning, so it was probably just wrong. There's no way I sweat that much at night or lose that much from a piss!

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 3

4x100 jump rope, 4x3 widest grip pullups

Squat, low bar:

5x45 lbs ATG

5x95 ATG

5x135 ATG

5x185 ATG

5x245 parallel

3x280 parallel

5x310 parallel

Good morning: 10x45 lbs, 10x95, 3x10x145

Bar hold, hook grip: 135 lbs - 60 seconds, 225 - 40, 315 - 23

Got about 4 hours of sleep last night so I wasn't expecting much today. I drank a lot of coffee in the morning/early afternoon and took a vitamin packet right before working out. I got to work late and my schedule was off so I didn't end up lifting until late, ~17:00, whereas I usually lift around 13:00. I had good concentration on the warmup sets so I was able to get into proper form. I could have done the 245 ATG easily, but didn't feel like pushing my luck today and wearing myself out before the heavy set. The heavy set was actually not bad, I could have hit another rep. A couple more months of high bar practice and I will hopefully be confident enough to try some of the heavier sets as high-bar ATG.

I just read through your log mate and well i am more than impressed you managed Stronglifts for over 50+ weeks wow , i couldn't go through all the pages so if there's some pictures or vids you have put in plz share them again

Thanks!

I don't have that many vids posted, and they really aren't much to look at. The only reason I posted them was to get some feedback on my form at the time. When I try to realize my theoretical 1RMs in a few weeks I'll probably take video of those.

I technically followed Stronglifts for 65 weeks, however there were a few significant breaks during that time. The calender time spent on the program is probably closer to 80 weeks. Each time I had a break from lifting for whatever reason, I ended up deloading significantly and working back up. I suspect that had I followed the program for a straight 65 weeks I would have ended up much stronger than I am now.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Set 4 - Deload

2x5 widest grip speed pullups (trying to develop some power for muscle-ups)

Clean and Press:

5x45 lbs, slow and steady to get comfortable with form

5x95, little faster still dialing in form

2x5x135, full speed and effort

OHP:

5x65 lbs

5x80

5x95

Deadlift:

5x160 lbs

5x200

5x240

I felt like trying some cleans since I haven't done any in a while. 135 lbs was tougher than I thought it would be, although I still had no trouble doing sets of 5. All clean and press sets were done as singles, obviously, as I had to reset my feet and hands after each rep. I haven't really done anything to develop power. I will probably try to program in some explosive lift work into my assistance in future cycles.