Nutrient timing - my adventures

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since my last post. I can't decide to either go onto bulking now, and eat normally, OR to keep trying to get down to my comp weight and then let up a little bit and eat normally. As I am preparing to be a PT, I guess I should keep going and get down to where I can see my abs at least. Yes, that will be my new goal: 6 pack.

I am also back on ProStack from ABS World Labs sports nutrition. The BTT was OK, but the ProStack helps me handle my estrogen alittle bit more (keep it in check: estrogen tries to keep up with testosterone, so when one hormone is encouraged to go up, the other usually follows). To me, it keeps my periods in check, and as someone looking at menopause in a couple of years, this may actually help me. Plus endometriosis runs in the family, so it will also help keep that in check.

I actually ran yesterday in the low 30 degree F! I was amazed at myself, because I am usually so cold inside my body, that going out in the cold was unheard of last year. I did force myself to go, and was still cold (sweat turns icy on my back and butt), but it was tolerable. . . this time. Now it is the next day. A little bit of thunder and lightning to the north just past, and the wind is now just a good breeze (though when you go biking - which was my choice for this morning's cardio - you go so fast and create your own breeze and freeze). Could go do some Elliptical at the gym. But my days outside are dwindling down (I won't even be able to go on trails as they usually get snow and ice all over them by December). I guess I shall pile on the clothes and a rainproof windbreaker. I will enjoy the hot shower when I get back!

I seem to be able to recover faster when I am on it. I have been off of it for about 2 months now, I am finding I have DOMS alot more, and that it does seem to interfere when I go on to the next bodypart to workout the next day. I also used it last winter/spring to add mass, which it did, because I was able to recover and go on to the next heavy weight for my heavy set. I like it better than Keto and DHEA, which I like, but they are synthetic and I prefer the herbal counterpart.

So I did an awesome bike ride this morning. Curiosity got the best of me this morning. I went passed my usual 8.0 mile marker, and decided to go all the way to the small town of Leonard (they have an awesome Strawberry Festival in the Summer) which is at the 10.0 mile mark. But instead of turning around at Leonard, I went a little bit into the town, and saw that the bike path was paved, and I began to follow it! I kept going till I got to the end where a sign said "You are now leaving Oakland County", and another sign behind it said "You are now entering Lapeer County. And.the bike path after that was a single white line overgrown with green weeds. I decided to head back then. Oops, the sign said 12.0 down a little from the county signs. NO problem I told my body. . . . until my ass started chiming in at the 8.0 mile marker that I usually turn around at. I was in big trouble by the time I got to the 2.0 mile marker. I definitely went way passed my comfort zone this morning. Luckily I had only Biceps to do at the gym today. So now it is night time, and my Biceps hurt, my Butt hurts, and the small of my lower back hurts (bent over the little mountain bike I keep borrowing from my teenager seems to hit my lower back somehow - though today I sat straight up on all the downhills to stretch it out). Such fun though. Hopefully I will be able to recover from this fast enough for Leg day that is the day after tomorrow! I will have to listen to it. Maybe I will just do Extensions and Curls, and no Leg Press this time around.

Weighed myself and it was 1 more than yesterday. I know it is water weight from the thai food that I ate yesterday. And I didn't drink all of my water jug, so serves me right. Still if it is water weight, then I should just keep doing what I have been doing and not let it get to me. So be it. Onwards. . . morning cardio for today. It is a balmy 50+ F outside, so I could do something outside (though my black tights are in the washer and I will have to wait - or I can dig up my old purple ones and use those - they are an ugly purple gray though. . . well, nobody has been out on the trails lately (except one yesterday resting on a bench with a Starbucks coffee in his hand. LOL!) and I don't care anyways. All I care about is getting my body ripped and keeping my lean muscle mass........

I ordered some new pants from backcountry.com (as they were on sale and I got the 50% off coupon code)

http://www.backcountry.com/cw-x-performx-tight-womens

but I really wanted these ones:

http://www.backcountry.com/cw-x-revolution-tight-womens

but I can't justify spending that amount of $$ for something I might not like. The reviews said that it takes them forever to get into the pants, and I can only imagine how it must be to get home all sweaty, having to go pee really bad because you have held it in for the last mile or so (common experience for me with my upon raising protein drink), and trying to get them down to a usable level. So I opted for the east expensive, just to see if they work for me.

Awesome Leg Day. Even though my hair was having an off day, my Legs weren't! Last time I started with Sumo Squats and did an amazing weight of 270lbs, but that does not compare to today! I did my usual up to 11 45lbs plates on each side of the Leg Press, and I was able to push out 15 reps! What the F? Now I could not find any more room to put the 45lbs plates on the posts of the Leg Press, so I put 2 45lbs plates on the top of the machine. I was able to move the whole weight (12X90=1080? plus the weight of the Leg Press!). My legs have been so sore this week, and I even went for a 2 mile walk this morning, to warm them up and see if they were up to it. Must have repaired all week long, and then to be able to push that much weight out today! I was in heaven!

Of course now I am feeling the affects of it. They are already sore before the night is even here. Ice or shall I just heat them up and keep the blood flowing? Extra protein today and tomorrow for sure!

I am thinking of adopting the nickname of VeganBeast. I definitely am no Princess or anything pretty - nor am I incline to be that way when i enjoy lifting so heavy.

• 1 month later...

The sun is out today! Yipee! It has been so cold and rainy here in Michigan due to Sandy (and my heart goes out to the people that were really badly affected by Sandy - my complaint doesn't even compare to what they are going thru. May the sun shine upon them once more in their futures also).

Since it is out, thought I would do my workout first at the gym (delts), and then do a jog later on this afternoon in the warm 45 F and sunny on the trail.

I am onto a new book by Frederick Delavier, Strength Training part 2 (already read the first one and learned alot about what muscles are worked in which exercise). I have been looking at my body and trying to figure out if what he says in the book is true or not. He talks about alot of underdeveloped muscles that bodybuilders usually have. So today, I got a taste of it, and it was true for my rear delts, and to a slight degree - my middle delts. I couldn't not do a cable side lateral with the lowest setting of 20 lbs! I had to resort to the resistance bands - the medium and the medium/heavy ones. And I have always been taught that doing behind the neck military press will hurt your neck. He tells you how to position your neck and body to keep from that happening, and to my amazement it worked, but then again, I was not using heavy weights! I couldn't! It was the bar first, and then I was able to get up to 2 10lbs plates for a set of 15 reps (and then I stopped because I was starting to use other parts of my body to get it up - a sign to stop for now).

Yesterday was only Hamstrings. I looked at my hammies and they were not as big as my quads. So the book recommended that I do them either first or take a day to workout only the hamstrings. Well, by the time I got done doing Leg curls, seated and lying down, and deadlifts, I was pretty much too tired to do anything more. So I decided to give them a whole workout. It is the next day, and the hammies are pretty sore, but it is weird to feel them "hurt" at weird times, as oppose to hurting constantly like the quads would.

Back to eating like a normal person - like one portion size that my family would eat (instead of eating to get my FULL on! LOL!). Plus the extra protein shakes between meals, a little protein in my workout drink, and in my maltodextrin packed postworkout drink. I have hovered between 155 and 160lbs now for 3 weeks, so I've maintained it for awhile now. I do not want to go back up to 180, so I am keeping my eye on my weight to make sure it doesn't go above 160. Cardio has been cut back since the days are kind of lacking in letting me go out trail running. Though I have gone out twice on the trail when it was dry, little sunny at the beginning, but a very cold 30 degrees F. My thighs are very pink when I get back, and my upper arms are cold while running, even though I have a nice long sleeve brushed on the inside to keep me warm top. Perhaps I need to go with a jacket instead?

Trying for one in April now. I am building muscle right now. Hovering around 160 (so I put on 10 lbs, or 15 lbs from the lightest weight I was able to get to this summer) and looking like a powerlifter. Figure I will stay at this weight, build thru Nov/Dec/Jan, and then start to cut in Feb/March/April. Since I will be starting from 160 instead of 180 - I am hoping that I can make it down to where I feel comfortable getting back up on stage.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I see you are studying for it. It is a relatively hard exam. Quite thorough in what you will be tested on. Just like in Chemistry, make sure you know the exceptions for the exercises and its mechanics of why. Make sure you can picture what muscles are working in an isolated exercise, and what is going on in a compound exercise.

I also did not agree on alot of their exercise programs, but I made sure I knew them and how to execute which ones for which type of client.

The ones I got stuck on were the studies that were examples in the book (did not take the e-exam, bought the book (nothing else), and took the exam) in which there were percentages (these were the 3 questions I could not answer off the top of my head and had to figure out strategies to guess right).

It has been almost been a year since I took it. I am trying to think of the questions that stumped me the most.