advice - everything!

x4298x

hi folks

my names Roddy, I'm 30, weighed myself in at 165kg today, but I know a good bit of that is my expanding gut.

I just turned 30 2 days ago, so his is my 'now is the time' getting into working out thing, I wanna go the distance but dont know how best to approach anything! I've joined my local gym, went there today and did 45 minutes on different machines pushing myself as hard as I could and 30 mins on the running machine. I also cycle 45 minutes 5 days a week.

My main aim is to lose my gut and develop all my muscles, not get massive. what should I do? I'm thinking 3 days a week in the gym I can manage doing muscles and cardio, is that too much? should I do more?

also what about food recommendations? my diet has been pretty all over the place because of my lifestyle (I'm a highschool teacher). What should I be aiming for as my staples, and what are the absolute no no's?

ok 1 million questions, but I'm sure someone on here knows the answers. I wanna work hard and see results so please lemmie hear the advice

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Roddy.

It would be difficult for anyone to give you exercise or diet advice without knowing more about you and your health.

If you can continue with the intensity of exercise you are doing you could stick to that - as long as it doesn't cause any harm. Pushing yourself as hard as you can might not be a good idea unless you know your body can take it.

Keep away from highly processed foods as they usually have a lot of unecessary and fattening things added to them.

NEAT - non-exercise activity thermogenesis - is very beneficial for fat loss. For most people, if they do a bit of training in the gym 3 or 4 days a week and spend the rest of the time sitting down at work and at home they aren't likely to lose as much weight as someone who does the same amount (or less) of formal exercise but is also very active at other times.

Hello mate! Welcome aboard

5x5 is great very popular around here, best thing would be to create a training log and post your meals or just some examples of what you would eat on an average day, there are some very experienced helpful professionals on this site so you're in the right place! I look forward to seeing you're progress! Also where abouts are you from? If you don't mind me asking

no log but need one, gains every session

typical eating would be

breakfast: homemade muesli (oats, nuts, seeds) plus hemp protein and a piece of fruit

lunch: left overs (half size dinner portion)

dinner: mix of carbs and protien stuff plus veggies, usually a big portion

snacks - fruit, occasional biscuit

buddy from work has suggested splitting dinner into two smaller sessions and taking nuts as a snack also.

I weigh about 10 stone, skinny but with a little bit of a gut, which is shrinking fast because of weights and cardio.