Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

Those dumplings are awesome, 12 isn't quite enough though lol.

Squats went well, pretty happy with the session tonight. Worked up to a little off my max with 4 x sets at 242, felt heavy but form stayed perfect throughout. Saving for myself for the end of the week where I'll run through all three of the lifts as I would do on the day of the meet.

Hell yeah, I'm amped for this now. Has been a long buildup!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, yes I am well aware they may cause a few headaches in a few years time. We're prepared !! Ross ~ PLEASE don't mention anything about the photoshoot on Facebook as some of the photos are going to be a surprise for our parents (mine don't even know we've had one done). Thanks!

Wife is heading up to Auckland for business in a couple of hours and isn't back until Sunday afternoon, I'm going to hit up the 3 lifts probably sometime later that day and then it'll be time to rest up and get my head in the right place.

Right, off to the gym which is just going to a 'nothing-too-glitzy' arm workout lol

Watching your squats in that clip you put up makes me want to go do some! lol Is 264 your personal best?

330 is my PB but that was with knee wraps. I've never squatted more than 264 raw before, so yeah it's both a training and competition PB at the moment. Once this meet is out the way I'll take some time off before I start training for the Canterbury Champs (which from that I hope to qualify for the Nationals); that one is equipped or raw, so I'm going to see what I can get from my suit and knee wraps. Should be able to get back up to around the 330 mark at least I would have thought.

Glad you and VR liked the clips, I'll make sure I get a good one made up from the meet next weekend

Mini, what do you think of the conjugate system?

Yeah, I do rate Westside up there with the best. You're talking about something ~ a programme with has taken 40yrs to refine so it obviously has great some great merits as it is now compared to what it started out as.

If you read up on the conjugate system it makes a lot of sense. It's very maths/physics based as it's basically the best parts that have been taken from the Soviet and Bulgarian training systems. It's kind of similar to how I train in the sense that you're working off percentages and calculated numbers rather than guesswork or intensity (which IMHO is not a 100% true gauge to work off). Of course there's always the factor of what you are truly capable of on any given day.

I'm working my waves in weeks right now, but I've been thinking that for my training for the next meet in April I might switch that to cycling things like poundages, speed work, ancillary exercises into a week. Something like this:

"First I used the pendulum wave in 3-week cycles, going from training a heavy and a light day, to a max effort day, working to a max single depending on my level of preparedness. A severe workout can be done every 72 hours, and the second day is devoted to the development of special strengths. It could be explosive strength, commonly known as the dynamic method."

Hope that makes sense and answers your question

Just came across some of my old run and bike PB's, makes me wonder that if I had ever sticked with one sport I could have been half decent ?!

Running

10km: 40.02

15km: 1:04.00

21.1km: 1:36

42.2km: 3:23

50km: 4:30

Cycling

80km hill race: 2:19 (ave spd 34.53kph)

130km race: 3:42 (ave spd 35kph)

180km Ironman split: 4:57 (ave spd 36.36kph)

200km: 5.29 (ave spd 36.47kph)

Anyway, can't let that crap distract me right now. Got my final big session to smash up this Monday night

Nah mate, I probably won't video now. Will leave that to the weekend!

I had a look back at my weigh-in weight last year, 142.8. That was good enough to get me 6th place overall (Wilks Coefficient). One of the refs told me that if I had been able to get another 11lb onto my total that would have moved me into 5th place.

So my plan for this meet is to post either the same total, or a shade more. I'm purposely a little lighter which will improve my Wilks score ~ I am obviously trying to win my class but I also have a goal of cracking the top 5. I was 138.6lb this morning although I still feel that my strength is still good and I haven't noticeably dropped any muscle. Just got a quick photo this morning before breakfast...

1533289629_26thNov.jpg.d45e39fadfe757bd524bdac51b4eab40.jpg

Need to clean my mirror

????????

Squats went well, hit 264 a lot better than I have done in the past which got me thinking whether I should aim to hit that on my 2nd attempt at the meet so I can try for 275 Not sure, looks like I'll be around 1.5kg lighter than I was last year, so my Wilkes score will be a little better... haven't decided if I want to make my last attempt 264 or 275 now.

Bench press, don't know what happened! Hit 220 which felt easy, missed 231 so then I tried 236.5 and missed that as well ?!

Deadlifts, 400 felt tough last night so I stopped there. For some reason it felt tougher than the ones I have been pulling up to know. I stopped there as I didn't want to risk pulling a muscle, plus I'd have really screwed my head up if I had missed the next one !!! For the meet I think I am going to try:

SQUATS

1: 231

2: 253

3: 270

BENCH

1: 198

2: 220

3: 231

DL's

1: 396

2: 407

3 418

So it's Wednesday evening, slowly going mad from no training but I'm working my way through some really cool vids on YouTube. This is probably one of the best ones I have seen in a long while ~ if you're a powerlifter and this doesn't motivate you then you probably should take up a different sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-6JAAMrmeU