theVeganInitiative Training Journal

10/7/12

Thanks for checking up on me MF! I didn't train all week due to sickness and a couple long days traveling for work. I'm feeling better and back it though!

531 Cycle 1 Week 2

Squats: 102.2 x 3, 119.8 x 3, 131 x 3, 72.2 x 10 x 5

SLDL: 72.2 x 10 x 5

These squat sessions are killer. I can't walk well when I'm done. I guess that's how it should be! Happy to be back at it and feeling better.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey MF. I workout at home and have been trying to find a program that allows me to be a bit inconsistent yet still progress. So far I really like focusing on 1 compound lift for 531 sets, then 5 sets of 10 alternating with an assistance exercise. I need to mainly be focused on my health which I talked about earlier in my journal. I also have a busy schedule and am getting freelance work which doesn't allow me to be consistent week to week with my time for working out. I was thinking of a simple 2 day split or even working out early in the morning but I like what I have going on now. I'll see how I progress. My goal is simply to be healthy while adding some muscle and strength. I really want to represent a healthy vegan lifestyle to everyone around me and be a positive source of inspiration.

10/12/12: 531 Cycle 1 Week 3

Deadlifts: 177.2 x 5, 202.2 x 3, 222.2 x 1, 115 x 10 x 5

Situps: 5 sets of 10

10/13/12:

BP: 86 x 5, 97.2 x 3, 107.2 x 1, 63.6 x 10 x 5

Rows: 63.6 x 10 x 5

Curls: 43.6 x 10, 10, 8, 8, 6

I missed a few days as my schedule got busy but I'm back at it and feeling good. Top set of deadlifts was tough - I'll video next time to make sure I'm not rounding my back too much. I tried using weight for situps but I'm still getting a good workout with body weight. I felt the whole workout in my abs. For curls, I stood against a wall with my elbows touching the wall to make sure I maintained strict form. I've been using a stopwatch on my phone to time between sets. Been using about 1 minute between sets of 10s and about 2 minutes between the 531 sets.

10/14/12 531 Cycle 1 Week 3

Squats: 111 x 5, 122.2 x 3, 139.8 x 1, 72.2 x 10 x 5

Good Mornings: 43.6 x 10 x 3

Sets of 10s on squats getting a tiny bit easier. Heavy sets were really tough especially the top set but I managed to make it. I tried out good mornings but my upper back was hurting a bit around my spine. I need some upper back strength as this seems to be a weak point for me on a lot of lifts. Good mornings seem to be a good choice for working the hamstrings and upper back...I'll see if I can keep them in the workout without much pain.

10/15/12 531 Cycle 1 Week 4

OHP: 43.6 x 3, 52.4 x 3, 61.2 x 3, 35 x 10 x 5

Chinups: 5, 5, 4, 4, 3

This is the start of my deload week but this session was tough...not sure why...maybe from training the last 4 days in a row or because I've gained some weight (148.0 lbs clothed at start of workout) which made the chinups a bit harder (1 less than last week).

10/17/12 531 Cycle 1 Week 4

Deadlifts: 152.4 x 3, 177.2 x 3, 197.2 x 3, 115 x 10

I tried to get a workout in this morning around 6:30am. It didn't go so well. It's my deload week but the weights felt really heavy and I decided not to complete the 5 sets of 10 or assistance. I felt a bit weak and did not have a lot of endurance. I'll have to stick to working out after work.

I don't know if I really gained any weight as I usually weigh myself in the morning unclothed. This morning I was at 141.6 lbs. I just mentioned my weight the other day because that was my weight for bodyweight chinups. I would like to gain weight from gaining muscle. I'm not sure if that can really be a goal of mine because I really need to stay focused on health (digestive health). I haven't been feeling my best for a week or so...not sure what the issue is but I'll be eating only when hungry and probably not eating as much overall as I recently had been. So hopefully I'll feel better again but unfortunately I won't be gaining any weight.

I just want to mark in my journal for documentation that I'm having a bit of a crisis again with my health. I feel some pains in my abdomen, gas, sluggishness, and other issues I am familiar with...my own particular IBD.

I am currently water fasting and have been doing so for 24 hours. I need to get back to a baseline of health.

10/19/12 531 Cycle 1 Week 4

BP: 77.2 x 3, 86 x 3, 97.2 x 3

Squats: 92.2 x 3, 102.2 x 3, 122.2 x 3, 72.2 x 10

Still working on getting back to feeling good again...should be on my way. I just wanted to finish off the 531 cycle so I did just the deload sets that I had left. This felt pretty good. I like 531 a lot for my lifestyle so I'll stick with it for another cycle at least.

10/21/12

2 hour hike in the mountains with friends!

My yard connects with the Mohonk Preserve in New Paltz, NY so we were able to walk out of my house, up into the mountains, and back! Beautiful fall day. Lots of colors everywhere. Lots of bananas in my house.

That sounds so cool, always a blast to do stuff like that and connecting with nature.

How come you've been feeling off, nothing too major I hope?

10/26 531 Cycle 2 Week 1

Deadlifts: 157.2 x 5, 177.2 x 5. 202.2 x 5, 120 x 10 x 5

Hanging knee raises: 3 sets of 10

Situps: 2 sets of 10

I really didn't think I would finish this workout after my 3rd set of 10 but I stuck with it and completed the intended workout. I felt ok after and for the rest of the weekend - just a bit sore in my lower back. I think my health issues and lack of eating enough had a lot to do with how I felt during the workout. I was away from home and working all weekend so I'm hoping to get another session in tonight now that I'm back.

to MF - I continue to struggle with my digestive issues which I discussed earlier on my log. I'm trying to stay positive and work with it to get back to feeling well again. I've never been able to isolate the issues so I just try to do what I think is best and try not to get so stressed with confusion and feeling crappy.

10/29/12 531 Cycle 2 Week 1

BP: 77.2 x 5, 92.2 x 5, 102.2 x 5, 63.6 x 10 x 5

Rows: 63.6 x 10 x 5

Curls: 43.6 x 10 x 4

Last heavy set of BP was a grind. 4th rep just got up and 5th rep was so slow with some form breakdown just to get the bar up. Sets of 10 felt good and heavy. Working on really feeling the target muscle do the work. Curls were tough too - kept my elbows against the wall and really slowed on the 4th set so I left it at that.

10/30/12 531 Cycle 2 Week 1

Squats: 97.2 x 5, 116 x 5, 127.2 x 5, 77.2 x 10 x 3

Good Mornings: 77.2 x 10 x 3

Another hard session. I didn't feel that good about the heavy sets of squats...felt really heavy and felt like my form is always getting fucked up on heavy sets. I feel like I have a lot trouble making progress once I get to a certain weight with all my lifts. I looked through some old training logs today and saw that I was lifting this heavy and heavier over 2 years ago. But I've had lots of ups and downs with my health so I don't know...I'm kind of starting over always so I'll see how it goes. I was really concentrating on form during the warm up sets so I know I have a good pattern but need to maintain it and get stronger! I also felt too taxed to do the 5 sets of 10s and did 3 instead. I'm trying not to be disappointed and focus on the positive aspect of simply working out and going for it but I always want to do better.

• 2 weeks later...

11/16/12

Deadlifts: 215 x 3, 192.2 x 4, 172.2 x 5

OHP: 57.2 x 5 x 5

Chins: 6, 5, 4

Situps: 15, 13, 10

Happy to finally get a workout in though I don't feel I am very patient lately like I just want to get it done with. My top set of deads was probably a little too heavy as my low back was rounding a bit so I'll watch form closely next time. All the other sets felt good. I think I gained some weight recently so I'm happy my chins are still at the same level as a few weeks ago.

I'm a bit confused as to my program and goals at the moment.

I know I can't be as consistent as I would like due to ongoing health struggles and busy lifestyle but at the same time I want to gain muscle and strength so i can look good and feel good. I know I just need to keep lifting but I would like to see some results and feel like I'm on the right path. Not sure why it's so hard for me to figure out.

11/19/12

BP: 92.2 x 8, 8, 7

Rows: 92.2 x 8 x 3

OHP: 63.6 x 6, 52.4 x 8

Chins: 6, 4

Curls: 43.6 x 12

Hurt right elbow on first set of OHP - back of arm where tricep meets bone so maybe it's the tendon...I don't know...it's been hurt before and has given me problems in the past....I need to work on my form with OHP - I felt like I was keeping my elbows too far forward and maybe involving the triceps too much. hopefully it won't be a nagging injury.