Yetis New Log: New Goal = No Goal

Sounds like it might be worth a try. Let me know what you think of Mentzer's theories, I bought all of his books after trying one of his HIT programmes many years ago. I was convinced it wouldn't work as I had to drop from training 60-90mins 6 days a week down to 30-40mins just Mon/Wed/Fri.

In 10wks I put 4 inches on my chest, all of my lifts went up and I gained bodyweight whilst decreasing my bodyfat levels. Pretty cool, and heaps more time on my hands lol.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to lift but I feel I need to rest so I am beginning my week off today. Kind of feel bad about skipping my B day but I felt like if I lifted today I would be doing myself a great dis-service.

Started today off with spiced coffee, pancakes, and tofu scramble with mom.

Your muscles do all the heavy lifting but your Central Nervous System or CNS is responsible for recruiting the muscle fibers to contract and perform movements. Think of your muscles like hydraulic pistons and your CNS as the computer that controls and regulates the pistons.

Often times your muscles are able to repair themselves through normal training but after a period of time systematic CNS fatigue can build up and you need to let it rest and heal to again function at full capacity.

As well as this your CNS regulates all of other 'hardware' and 'software' in your body so when your CNS gets burnt out you will notice that you might not be dreaming, or remembering your dreams as much, your sleep quality will be effected, you might get a bit grumpy or have mood swings, but the biggest sign is lack of drive and weakness. The CNS being burnt can also increase coritsol, a stress hormone that might lower your test levels a bit and cause you to put on fat.

From my research I think getting right to the edge of over training is very important as it might increase the capacity at which you can train and for how long before it burns out, almost like a muscle. But to a certain degree, neural capacity, like muscles, reach a genetic potential after some time and it might not do any good, that's for you to decided.

I am still very new to serious weightlifting even though I have been training since 2007 so it was kind of pig headed of me not to listen to Mini Forklift, I only knew I was over trained for sure when listened to MF and did some serious research and started analyzing how I was feeling. Through getting to know your body and how you function you can accurately assess whether you are getting into the realm of over training and determine how many weeks you can train for before it's time for a rest.

Mom has begun to replace her current hygiene products with products not tested on animals has been asking me to help her research and locate these products. She's also insisted that even in our financially deprived state, we spend a bit of extra money on soaps and detergents not tested on animals.

I am very proud of her for embracing this highly reduced cruelty life style and embracing a more peaceful life.

Still resting. I've been getting this bizarre DOMS all over my body in sporadic regions even though the last time I exercised that specific muscle was over 4 days ago and was not previously sore.

I am feeling more and more excellent each day.

My rest week ends tomorrow. I feel super charged and energetic. I am going to blast out a 4 mile run tomorrow to prime my body for my return to weightlifting then hit the weights, hard, on Monday.

I think I may push my active training period back to 6 weeks or so and then rest, vs doing 7-8 weeks and resting. Just in the past 2 days my sleeping habits have returned to normal and I think I might have pushed myself a bit too far.

11-26-12 1hr 40 min

DB chest press 146# x8x8x8 > X

Pushups +30# x15x15x15 > 32.5#

Dips + 15# x12x12x12 > 17.5#

Chinups 27.5# x12x12x~12 > 30#

Tricep kickbacks 30.5 x15x15x15x15 > 33#

Bicep curls 40.5# x15x15x15x15 > 43#

Squats 123# x10x10x10x10 > 128#

Discovered using my bread maker is far less efficient and makes a far inferior product to baking it in a flat pan in the oven. It's VERY simple.

2c flour (225g)

2tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3/4c water

dash of olive oil (I use about 1 tsp)

throw it into a 8x9 pan and bake for 30 min at 350

If you're feeling fancy add some 'cheese' or olives or something. Can also be made into a sweet bread with 2 tsp stevia, 1 tbsp maple syrup, and some cranberries, apples(sauce), bananas, etc.

Thanks a lot MF, good luck!

11-28-12 1hr 15 min

DB stiff leg deadlift 121# x10x10x10 > 126#

1 arm DB deadlift 110.5# x8x8x8 > 113#

1 arm rows 103# x8x8x8 > 105.5#

1 arm DB rows drop 83# x10x10x10 > 85.5#

Pullups +20# x10x10x10 > 22.5#

Seated DB shoulder press 101# x8x8x8 > 106#

DB shoulder lateral raise 43# x10x10x10 > Stay

I've deiced to go ahead and truncate my routine and make my days shorter. As well I am not doing reps over 10 as I feel like after 10, it's just redundant and a waste of energy. To go along with this I am lowering the sets I am doing for body parts to a maximum of 6. And lastly I am going to be further experimenting with a heavy A/B day and a light A/B day. I want to experiment with lower rep ranges but I didn't feel like I was getting all I could merging a wide range of reps on each day, so I decided to split my workouts per month into heavy and light. My routine looks like this:

Day A Light:

DB chest press 3x8

Dips 3x10

Quads 4x8

Chinups 3x8

Triceps Isolation 4x10

Biceps Isolation 3x10

--------------------------

OFF

Day B Light:

Stiff leg deadlifts 3x10

1 arm deadlifts 3x8

Rows 3x8, 3x10

Pullups 3x10

DB shoulder Press 3x8

Shoulder lateral raise3x10

---------------------------

Cardio/Abs/Calves 4x10

Day A Heavy:

Weighted Pushups 3x4

Weighted Dips 3x6

Quads 4x4

Chinups 3x4

Triceps Isolation 4x6

Biceps Isolation 3x6

OFF

Day B Heavy:

Stiff leg deadlifts 3x6

1 arm deadlifts 3x4

Rows 3x4, 3x6

Pullups 3x6

DB shoulder Press 3x4

Shoulder lateral raise 3x6

Cardio/Abs/Calves 4x6

A day of firsts. I have begun experimenting with my new light/heavy A/B routine. I have some tweaking to do but already I feel really good about this. I knew it would be a bit of a cluster fuck while I experimented with weight at lower reps. But it's ok, once I feel it out I should be good.

11-30-12 1hr 15min

Weighted pushups +40# x4 +55# x4 +65# x4 +75# x4 > 80#

Weighted dips +25# x6 +35# x6x6 > +40#

Chinups +35# x6x6x6 > 37.5#

Triceps overhead raises 60# x6 63# x6x6x6 > 65.5#

Bicep curls 50.5# x6x6x6x6 > 53#

Squats 146# x8x8x8x8 > X

I had a lot of trouble dialing in my weighted pushups. Since I have no more than 146# of combined iron I had to get crafty and weight my body heavily. I use my multi function pull up bar because doing it on my knuckles hurts, and I want to keep my wrists straight. Problem is the bar raises my hands up off the ground a few inches. So in order to maximize the ROM I need to raise my feet up, I'll use the crate for my power drill next time and that should make 80# challenging when you factor in the 105/110# of body weight I am actually pressing. Not so much trouble with dips, was able to get deep into them and drive myself up.

I am considering adding 1 more set to either or of my chest movements. But I need to see how I feel once I work at the weight I have dialed in before I go doing that. I noticed a HUGE difference going from an insane 12 sets of chest movements to 9, and now down to 6, which is why I am second guessing if I need more sets.

Everything else went relatively smoothly, except that I threw everything I had at my quads and still could manage 6 reps easily. So I turned it into a 4x8 which was plenty challenging. I am considering upping the reps on my isolation movements like biceps and triceps to x8. Not sure, I need to think on it.

Day B will be a repeat of this while I fumble around for crafty solutions and dial in the weights.

I need to see how my joints handle this as well, as I remember having a bit of an issue on 5x5 way back when.

Edited by Cellar Yeti

12-2-12 1hr 10min

Stiff leg DB deadlift 146# x6x6x6 > X to 3x8

1 arm DB deadlift 120.5# x6x6x6 > 123#

1 arm DB row 110.5# x5x5x5x5 > 113#

Pullups+25# x5x5x5x5 > 27.5#

DB shoulder press 111# x5x5x5x5

DB shoulder lateral raises 43# x8x8x8x8

DB shrugs 48# x10x10x10 > 50.5#

Finally getting my routine dialed in. It's looking like this now:

Day A Light:

DB chest press 3x8

Dips 3x10

Chinups 3x8

Triceps Isolation 4x10

Biceps Isolation 4x10

Quads 4x8

------------------------------------------------------------

OFF

Day B Light:

Stiff leg deadlifts 3x10

1 arm deadlifts 3x8

Rows 4x8

Pullups 3x10

DB shoulder Press 3x8

Shoulder lateral raise 4x10

Cardio/Abs 4x10/Calves 4x10

Day A Heavy:

Weighted Pushups 3x5

Weighted Dips 3x5

Chinups 4x5

Triceps Isolation 4x8

Biceps Isolation 4x8

Quads 4x8

OFF

Day B Heavy:

Stiff leg deadlifts 3x8

1 arm deadlifts 3x6

Rows 4x5

Pullups 4x5

DB shoulder Press 4x5

Shoulder lateral raise 4x8

DB shrugs 4x10 (Every other)

Cardio/Abs 4x10/Calves 4x10

Good to hear brother! Thanks! I'll check your thread to see how it went!

I really like my light/heavy routine. The taxation on my CNS with light compliments the rest my CNS gets when I go heavy, but my muscles get drained more on heavy vs light. It really is a fantastic routine that needs just a smidge more tweaking. My strength is incredible and my size is starting to balloon.

12-2-12 1 hr

Run 4.25 mi. 44min

Abs x12x12x12 53# crunches x12

Obliques 55.5# x10x10x10 > 58#

Calves 126# x12x12x12 > 131#

12-4-12 1hr 20 min

DB chest press 146# x8x8x10 > X

Dips +25# x10x10x10 > 27.5#

Hammer chinups +27.5# x8x8x8 > 30#

Tricep kickbacks 33# x10x10x10x10 > 35.5#

Bicep curls 45.5# x10x10x10 > 48#

Lunges 100# x10x10x10x > 105#

I'm using all the weight I own on my DB chest presses so I've had to start adding reps instead of weight. It'll eventually become a 3x10. Feeling really strong and confident about my continued gains.