mgabs' training log

I injured my back and I really can't do deadlifts or squats anymore, so I do bodyweight squats on my off-days. The barbell rows are done pendlay style off the ground for each rep, so that gives my lower back a lot of work. I really can't do much lower back work, which I'm pretty upset with. I was deadlifting 315lbs at 155lbs, and squatting 225lbs, but that's all gone away. I've always had a weak lower back, and I told myself not to get upset about not deadlifting and squatting, because I don't care since I'm not going to compete. So in short: I just do the exercises that feel good and natural for me to do. Deadlifts and squats no longer feel natural I guess...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pullups: 9, 9, 9, 7

BB rows: 135lbs 8, 8, 8, 8

Db Curls: 35lbs 9, 9, 8, 8,

Face pulls: 90lbs 11, 11, 11, 11

Chins: 8, 8, 8, 6

2 minutes rest again. Great pump and feeling strong! Improved on everything except chins!

I looked at your log man. I'm wondering something though. How can you do so many pull ups and chin ups but only military press 50kgs for 3 or 4 reps? I'm so confused. I military press more than you and probably weigh 30-40lbs less than you but you do more chin ups than me? It makes no sense!

Mind****!!!

I hadn't trained a proper strict military press before starting Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 I would use dumbbell which, looking back was stupid. SO I programmed that lift pretty light as to build it up slowly. Next week it's 52.5kg on my heaviest set. I can press heavy with dumbbells, seated. My press is extremely strict but it is a lift that I've only been doing for 5 months. Hardly any carry over from dumbbell pressing at all, last time I did them I think I had 36kg in each hand for 3x12. So could of gone heavier no doubt. I got 7 out the other week on 50kg while holding back, hoping the boring but big sets also bring me up to speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

Yes I do 50 pull/chins twice a week but mainly wide & hammer grips, my upper back/lats are strong.

My program is strength, so It's all based off percentages that are certain set/rep ranges.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Pullups: 4 sets perfect form

Barbell rows: 95lbs 4x10 (starting light because I'm using different form)

Barbell curls: 4 sets wide grip 80lbs on the highest set

Incline dumbbell curls: 4 sets 25lb dumbbells

Chin ups: 4 sets

• 2 months later...

Yesterday's workout was a tough one. I hit shoulders and back.

First I did standing dumbbell shoulder press.

55lb dumbbells for 5 sets of 5

Then I did deadlifts with double overhand grip

135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 250x5

The grip is the toughest part, but it's worth it...my forearms are killin' me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I eat about 2000 calories a day. I don't eat much. I get between 70 and 100 grams of protein. I make a protein shake every morning with brown rice protein powder and pea protein powder and some fruit and soy or almond milk. Nothing fancy! Pressed 70lbs one arm overhead yesterday! I wouldn't say I'm competitive exactly, there are some bigger and stronger guys on here, but for weighing only 150 I'd say I'm fairly strong

Standing 1 arm dumbbell press: 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 60x5

Picking up 2 100lb dumbbells from the floor and shrugging: 4x5

1 arm 1 sided standing barbell press: 45lbs x 10, 70lbs x 10, 90lbs x 5

Pretty good pressing workout. Shoulders feel much better since I stopped bench pressing and did all my lifts standing instead of seated or laying down! =)

• 1 month later...

Tuesday's workout:

Standing 1 arm dumbbell press: 60lbs - 3x7

Clean and press: 125lbs - 3x5

Dips: Bodyweight 4x12

Yesterday's workout:

Deadlift: 255lbs - 5x2

Dumbbell curls: 40lbs - 4x7

Chin ups: 10, 10, 8, 2, 8, 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm keeping up with the workouts. Taking a lot of classes this semester, so I'm not exactly in the greatest shape of my life.

Standing 1 arm dumbbell press - 60lbs 3x5

Standing BB strict press: 100lbs 3x9

Deep BB Squat - 135lbs 3x12

Bodyweight Dips - 4x12

Just really trying to maintain lately... I'm trying hard to improve on my 1 arm DB presses. I'd like to be pressing the 70s by summer... still a long way off from that

Here's a current picture

20121120_171719.jpg.0d294e496af63258f19a1cb913780659.jpg

Saturday:

Barbell rows: 95lbs 1x10; 115lbs 1x10; 135lbs 4x7

Standing dumbbell bicep curls: 35lbs 10, 10, 8, 7

Barbell deadlifts: 135lbs 2x5; 185lbs 1x5; 205lbs 1x5; 225lbs 2x9

Neutral grip pull ups: 4x8

Pretty good back day... All in all I'm improving. Weight is steady at 155lbs. Hoping to get up to 2x12 deadlifts at 225 by the end of winter!