Jessie's Journal

The weekend went pretty well and the pool workout was a kick in the butt! Add that to a weekend full of very little sleep, and I was thoroughly exhausted by the time we flew home last night. I slept in this morning, which means I must work out tonight after work. Errrrr. I hate doing that to myself. I'm trying Tempo Chest/Tris for the first time. We'll see how it goes.

Here's what I've been eating today...

ONE

Chocolate Vegan Shakeology, 1 scoop

Cherries, 12

Chia Seed, 1 Tbsp

TWO

Unsweetened Almond Milk , 1 cup

Raw Maca Powder, 1 tsp

Chia Seed, 2 Tbsp

Gluten free rolled oats - Dry, 0.5 cup

Raisins, 3 Tbsp

THREE

Chickpeas, 0.75 cup

Avocados, 0.5

Salad Greens, 3 cups

FOUR

Tempeh, 0.5 container

Onions, 0.2

Cherry Tomatoes, 0.5 cup

Broccoli - Raw, 1 cup, chopped

Trader Joe's - Organic Tuscan Kale, 1/3 package

MISC./SUPPS

Gt's Organic Raw Kombucha Synergy - Trilogy, 1 container

Raw maca powder, 1 Tbsp

Raw cacao powder, 2 tsp

FIVE

TBD

12-06-2012

Tempo Chest & Tris went pretty well. I can normally lift heavier on chest exercises, but had to pace myself on increasing the weight because I had no previous record of what I could do when doing such slow reps. Each move starts with 15 reps where you contract for 6 counts, then slowly release for 6 counts. For example, during pushups you would go down for 6, then up for 6. Then you do 12 reps with 6 and 3 counts, then 8 reps with 3 and 3. You also increase the weight each time you decrease your reps. It really made me focus on control and it was hard at times to stay at the slower pace.

Tuesday was supposed to be Bulk Legs, but we got the schedule mixed up and did Build Legs instead...but it didn't matter because I pushed HARD and was really feeling it. Yesterday I just did dance practice and no lifting or Asylum.

Tonight I have Tempo Back & Bis, which will also be a first for me!

Food wise, we have gone back to mostly using our "veganized" version of the Asylum Get Shredded plan, which has worked well for us in the past. It offers plenty of food for ~1800 calories, depending on how you modify. We use beans, tempeh or tofu instead of the meat options and it all works out well and tastes great. Here is today's meal re-cap:

ONE

Chocolate Vegan Shakeology, one scoop

Gluten-Free rolled oats, 1/4 cup

Frozen cherries, about 1 cup

TWO

Quinoa salad (my first time having this, and it was actually quite good):

Quinoa, 1/2 cup (uncooked)

mixed with cucumber, fresh mint, lime juice, onion, ginger, sea salt

THREE

Corn tortillas, 2

Chickpeas, 1 cup

Cabbage, shredded, 1/2 cup

Cilantro, lime juice, chili powder

FOUR

Grapefruit, 1/2

Avocado, 1/2

Onion, 2 TB

Mixed salad greens

FIVE

Acorn squash, roasted, 1/2

Tempeh, 1/2 block

Broccoli, steamed, a lot

SUPPS/MISC

Raw maca powder, 1 TB

Raw cacao powder, 2 tsp

Banana, 1/2

All this clocks in at around 1850 calories, approx. 60% carbs (296g), 15% protein(78g), 25% fat(51g)

Nice work Jesse! Personally I don't like the Build: Legs program as much, but that's only because it kicks my ass (Bulgarian squats, ouch!! ), but that just makes me push harder.

Into the Beast phase now and cut my calories down to 2000, which is really weird to get used to again after 100+ days bulking at 3800, but it's really nice to drop all that tofu/processed stuff, and go back to more fresh, raw nutrients. Swapping ratios (went from 20/50/20 to 50/20/30 Protein/Carb/Fat) made me feel really weak for about a week, but on second week I've dropped 8lbs and weights are back up to max bulk again. 2 more weeks to go!

Nice work Jesse! Personally I don't like the Build: Legs program as much, but that's only because it kicks my ass (Bulgarian squats, ouch!! ), but that just makes me push harder.

Into the Beast phase now and cut my calories down to 2000, which is really weird to get used to again after 100+ days bulking at 3800, but it's really nice to drop all that tofu/processed stuff, and go back to more fresh, raw nutrients. Swapping ratios (went from 20/50/20 to 50/20/30 Protein/Carb/Fat) made me feel really weak for about a week, but on second week I've dropped 8lbs and weights are back up to max bulk again. 2 more weeks to go!

Build Legs is one of the hardest! It moves so fast and my heart rate is always so high that I have to pause and take breaks more often than Sagi would like. All the lunges are what really get me, I think it's because they seem to go on and on and on until my legs are spent...

Oh man, I don't know how you do the Fat Shredder ratios on a vegan diet! But a lot of my protein comes from legumes. I wasn't able to keep up Fat Shredder ratios even when I ate meat a couple years ago; I just can't function with so few carbs. I also like to be told what to eat and when to eat it, and I think that's why I've always done well with the Insanity and Asylum meal plans...they just give me certain options and recipes to choose from, then I can tweak them if I need to. Asylum is a lot easier to make whole food plant-based though, since it seems to be 99% produce! We always get comments at the grocery store when we go to check out with mounds of fresh veggies.

Good stuff Jessie. Much planned for the weekend?

Can I ask why you add sea salt to your salad, is it just a taste thing or are you using the sea salt for the minerals? Or something else? Thanks MF.

I use Himalayan pink salt, specifically. For both the minerals and the taste. Over the weekend I had lots of dance practice and then the final performance, which seriously kicked my butt...and hip flexors...and knees...and shoulders (I was not expecting it to do all that)! So I just did some deep stretching and ab work yesterday to recover, then back to Body Beast today with Bulk: Chest!