Vegan Texan is not an oxymoron

Keep up the great work, and love your food photos. Looks delicious and has given me a few ideas! I also try to post up my food in my journal every now and then, I feel it makes it more interesting and adds a little depth.

How is your week going so far?

Thanks for the feedback. I want to try and incorporate the whole lifestyle picture in the journal which definitely includes the vegan fuel.

This week I feel like poop on a stick. I took Tuesday off from work (and workout) because I couldn't even get out of bed and ended up sleeping most of the day and night. I also didn't have any appetite until later in the evening. I am back at work today but still feeling pretty awful. My husband thinks it is my caffeine addiction, so I'm cutting back on the coffee and tea to test his theory, which is making me feel even worse. Maybe I'm just plain ole sick with a common cold or something. Ugh! I am planning to get back to the gym tonight and will do what I can.

FITNESS

Goal for tonight is 30 minutes of cardio AT LEAST. If I have energy after that, I need to focus on my core and legs tonight.

FOOD

Dinner from last night: soft tofu cooked with tomato, cayenne, red pepper flakes, vegan butter, and soy sauce with sides of zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.

Breakfast: bowl of vanilla almond cereal with added nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, 1 banana and almond milk.

Lunch: raw kale, red bellpepper, tomato, carrot, green apple, red apple, pear, avocado, and jicima.

Dinner plans tonight: maybe I'll make a kale and miso with rice noodle soup.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What brand of vegan cheese do you use? Looks pretty good!

I use the one in this pic below but I'm trying to track one down that isn't made from soy. Having said that I really don't eat it much so I'm not too fussed.

http://www.kingintl.com.au/King_International_Soy_Products/Kingland_Soy_Cheddar_Cheese_files/cheddar.jpg

You could be sick cause it is going around hot and heavy.

It is indeed! Half the office here is sick. That puts everyone in a lovely mood too.

I just assume that being vegan gives me special vegan powers to not ever get sick. LOL.

Special Vegan Power! I love it!

I wish! I was in a smokey bar the other night just hanging out with a friend... BIG mistake cause now my nasal cavity is pissed off and making me miserable..... I do notice if I do get a lil sick it is short lived

Oooh I hate that too! Yes, I notice that as well. People sometimes don't believe I was actually sick because I usually rebound so fast, within a couple of days usually. And as it turns out, I feel better today!

What brand of vegan cheese do you use? Looks pretty good!

I use the one in this pic below but I'm trying to track one down that isn't made from soy. Having said that I really don't eat it much so I'm not too fussed.

http://www.kingintl.com.au/King_International_Soy_Products/Kingland_Soy_Cheddar_Cheese_files/cheddar.jpg

I like Galaxy Nutritional Foods both soy and rice based. I like to switch it up, just because, but I think I prefer the rice based one.

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-products/vegan/

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-products/rice-vegan/

You could be sick cause it is going around hot and heavy.

It is indeed! Half the office here is sick. That puts everyone in a lovely mood too.

I just assume that being vegan gives me special vegan powers to not ever get sick. LOL.

Special Vegan Power! I love it!

Just like Chris Evans in Scott Pilgram vs. The World. Great movie.

FITNESS

Last night I worked with my trainer and another seasoned builder. Both are way out of my league since I just started in late October 2012, but we made an impromptu mini class right in the middle of our little gym. Trainer gave me baby weights (5-20 lbs) for most of the challenges, but we went non-stop for over an hour working core, upper body, and lower body with weights. I was breathing so hard and working like crazy to keep up. Their abilities were motivating me to keep pace. I was feeling so good by the end that I jumped up and grabbed a pull up bar and hung there for a bit and brought my knees up to my chest before dropping down. Trainer was impressed. He said he didn't know I could do that yet! I said, neither did I!

FOOD

Preworkout snack: 1 pear and 1 banana.

Dinner from last night: vegan peppered beef tips with sides of zucchini, yellow squash and seeded crackers. (husband vetoed the kale miso soup. And after changing the meal just for him - trying to make the dinner carnivore friendly, he didn't care for it because "it wasn't real steak." I sense a rant coming soon about that topic.)

Breakfast: bowl of vanilla almond cereal with added nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, 1 banana and almond milk.

Lunch: raw kale, red bellpepper, tomato, carrot, green apple, red apple, pear, avocado, and jicima. (Yesterday, I was feeling so icky, I went to Freshii for their vegan 7 veggie soup and put my lunch from yesterday in the fridge. So I'm actually eating the raw stuff right now.)

I'm glad y'all like the food pictures. I'll be sure to post more when I can. I'm a big fan of cooking without a recipe. In fact, recipes just confuse me. And there is no one but the book to ask, now why would you add that to this? They don't make sense to me. I prefer creative cooking. I see food, I cook it. I make pretty. The end.

RANT

So, fun fact, I am married to a carnivore. I was already vegetarian when I met and married him over 5 years ago, but became vegan over 3 years ago. He isn't really a carnivore, but that's what I call him. He doesn't give me grief about my choices and I don't give him grief about his. The tension arises when it comes to cooking. He does not cook. Will not even try to cook. I tease him that it is very sexist of him. He says it's just because he is terrible at it and I am good at it. Okay, but I was once terrible at it too, but kept trying and trying again... I digress... he was raised on fast food and garbage. I will say that he has significantly broadened his pallette since being with me, but the most annoying thing for me is when he wants me to decide what he is going to eat for him. He doesn't want to make that decision. Fine. So I'll make what I want to eat. But then he doesn't like what I want to eat. OH FOR GOODNESS SAKES then tell me what you want to eat and I'll make you your thing and I'll make me my thing. Oh, and I refuse to cook meat in my house. I will cook dairy for him in separately designated cookware for him, but that's my limit. And, truthfully, after all this time being vegan, dairy stinks, as in smells horrible to me. I digress again... because I was complaining about him not wanting to make a decision about his own food but then not liking or not eating what I make because it is too healthy or whatever. UGH. Okay, I'm done ranting now.

Good to hear that you feel better.

I hear you on the cooking side of things haha, I'm the only non-meater in my family which doesn't actually bother me. I just do my thing as I know my wife will likely never change to vegetarianism/veganism.

Sounds like you had a really good session, would have been interesting to see what your heart rate was doing. Bet it would have been up there for the whole hour! Much planned for the weekend?

Good to hear that you feel better.

I hear you on the cooking side of things haha, I'm the only non-meater in my family which doesn't actually bother me. I just do my thing as I know my wife will likely never change to vegetarianism/veganism.

Sounds like you had a really good session, would have been interesting to see what your heart rate was doing. Bet it would have been up there for the whole hour! Much planned for the weekend?

I'm sure my heart was coming out of my chest! For the weekend? Yes, sir! I'm planning to do another hard training session tonight and tomorrow night, then get up Saturday morning and hit that gym again. If I do all that and then a few cleaning chores, hubby and I are planning to see a bunch of movies. On the list to see is Les Miserables, Django Unchained, The Hobbit, and Life of Pi. I may be singing at the top of my lungs for Les Miserables. Being in that show is on my bucket list.

How about you?

FITNESS

Did 30 minutes cardio, 3 sets of 3 positions on the leg press 130lbs, triceps at 30 lbs, seated chest presses at 60 lbs, biceps at 30 lbs, calves at 120 lbs, seated rower at 40 lbs, shoulder presses at 30 lbs. And I am tired and sore from yesterday so that was all, folks!

FOOD

Preworkout was the same thing as breakfast - I was just craving cereal and banana.

Dinner for tonight - half an apple, 1 1/2 vegan patties, and a huge serving of zucchini, yellow squash, and tomato steamed with herbs. Possible pic tomorrow.

Edit

Dinner from last night pic.

http://i50.tinypic.com/i6yqnb.jpg

RANT

The American diet is horrid. Every few minutes there is a fast food commercial or billboard or pop up ad telling us to eat 2,000 calories with 20 grams of saturated fat for a snack 5 times a day for only a dollar each. You can't even call it food because the useful nutritional value of the stuff is minimal. It is so bad that the majority of Americans are clueless about NOT eating crap and are incredibly confused when you don’t eat the same crap they eat. Like when ordering at a supposedly healthy place like Subway or Freshii, these places boast about catering to the healthier lifestyle choices, yet they neglect to train their employees properly when it comes to allergens, cleanliness, cross contamination, etc… If I order a salad or a sandwich with no meat or cheese, and the food servers, by habit or accident, add cheese or meat, they see no reason why they can’t just brush off the bits and hand me the salad or sandwich with remnants on top. Really? Seriously? If I do not want cheese or meat on my salad or sandwich, that means I don’t want crumbles on it either. Or if you handle meat and cheese with your gloves on, and the next person specifically says they cannot eat meat or cheese, why do you not think to take those gloves off and put new ones on? Gross!

I may have gotten a contaminated salad for lunch and my stomach is churning like crazy against the dairy or whatever it was in the stupid salad that is not agreeing with my body. Sometimes I like to treat myself and eat out, and then, on those few occasions, I remember why I don’t like eating out again. Ew. Ew. Ew. Gross. Gross. Gross.

Also saw a woman laying on the floor in the food court. Heart attack? Seizure? Whatever it was, even if totally unrelated, I still blame the American diet. You eat shit and your body will turn to shit.

Eating out in omnivore places is hell on earth. I avoid it at all costs, I'd rather eat raw oat with water.

A nice treat is going to vegetarian(or even better, vegan) places. Do they exist in Texas?

Yes, in fact, they do exist! There are not many though and they are not close to work or home. It sucks if I am running short on time and can't make my lunch before heading out the door.

This is my absolute favorite spot. http://ilovepeppertree.com/

I have a few favourite vegan restaurants where I live, I consider myself lucky because there's at least five or six of them that are all in close proximity to one another and not far from where I live.

Cracks me up though as one says they are '80% vegan' lol. Not sure how they arrived at that conclusion ?!

I have a few favourite vegan restaurants where I live, I consider myself lucky because there's at least five or six of them that are all in close proximity to one another and not far from where I live.

Cracks me up though as one says they are '80% vegan' lol. Not sure how they arrived at that conclusion ?!

Wow! Six Vegan restaurants!!!

You are a lucky guy indeed!

btw where do you live, mate?

Lol. I am 86% exhausted. That's a proven calculation with science and stuff.

FITNESS

Burnout circuit training mini class at the gym tonight with the trainer. Spider crawls, steps, lunges with weights, supermans with weights, then planks, then repeat and increase reps each circuit. I completed 5 before crashing. Then did more balance with weights and tricep work with half pushups and more weights.

AND. tomorrow morning at 8am is another session. BEAST!!!

FOOD

I need to eat dinner but I'm just not hungry. I haven't eaten since that gnarly poisoned salad for lunch.

Hmmm... Tofu and tomatoes is easy but I really want something like soup. I'm way too tired for such decisions! Blah! G'night y'all from Spring, Texas!

Weighed in at 192 lbs this morning. Got beaten up at the gym doing lunges with weights, planks, squats with arm curls, and lots of back muscle work on the machines. Now 98% exhausted and working on hydration and long bubble baths and reading chapter 3 in my book - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D. It runs in my family and I refuse to die from something so uncool as heart disease.