Compassion's Training Log!

I feel like your weight compared to what I see you lifting in your logs/videos isn't normal. Are you some sort of super human? I am more interested in strength/power over actual physical size. Do you have any tips for a brother?

Just have a good read through my journal on here, there's really no magic bullet so to speak. IMO it's all about consistency, training smart and making sure you have recovered well enough going into each workout.

You're just starting out, you should be able to make some great fast gains. After that stage slows down it's then that you need to work out the best approach for yourself so you can continue to develop in the areas you want to such as strength, hypertrophy, fat loss etc etc.

Shoulder day!

Triset

Front Machine Press/ Dumbell Lateral Raises/ Bent-over Lateral Raises

Set1 30lbs x 12 15lbs x 12 15lbs x 10

Set2 40lbs x 10 15lbs x 10 15lbs x 10

Set3 45lbs x 8 20lbs x 8 15lbs x 10

Set4 50lbs x 6 20lbs x 6 15lbs x 10

Triset

Barbell Press(alternate front+back)/ Cable Side Lateral / Lying Incline Laterals

Set1 45lbs x 10 15lbs x 10 15lbs x 10

Set2 45lbs x 10 15lbs x 10 15lbs x 10

Set3 65lbs x 7 15lbs x 10 15lbs x 10

Set4 65lbs x 6 15lbs x 10 15lbs x 10

Triset

Standing incline barbell row / Front Barbell Raise / Dumbell Shrugs

Set1 50lbs x 12 25lbs x 10 40lbs x 15

Set2 50lbs x 10 25lbs x 10 40lbs x 15

Set3 70lbs x 10 25lbs x 10 55lbs x 10

Set4 70lbs x 8 25lbs x 10 55lbs x 10

Edited by Compassion

I feel like your weight compared to what I see you lifting in your logs/videos isn't normal. Are you some sort of super human? I am more interested in strength/power over actual physical size. Do you have any tips for a brother?

Just have a good read through my journal on here, there's really no magic bullet so to speak. IMO it's all about consistency, training smart and making sure you have recovered well enough going into each workout.

You're just starting out, you should be able to make some great fast gains. After that stage slows down it's then that you need to work out the best approach for yourself so you can continue to develop in the areas you want to such as strength, hypertrophy, fat loss etc etc.

Awesome, I definitely will read through it all. Thanks!

I have been slacking with writing my workouts, because we have been doing a routine from Arnold's book, and it is filled with so many supersets and tri sets to keep on top of it.

On a bright side, after doing 4 sets of 8-12 reps on flat bench, I managed to put up 165lb for 2 reps (personal best).

And with incline dumbell, after 4 complete sets of 8-12 reps, I hit 60lb dumbells for 4 reps! (another personal best)

sup man! Sorry I never actually gave you a welcome :/...good start dude, are you fairly new to training?

Thanks dude! I was training last year for a couple months, but due to a hockey injury I had to stop. I started back up on November 15th, and have been going hard ever since.

I also decided to hang up the skates for a bit, so to lower the risk of injury. I am loving every second in the gym!

I think I will benchmark my improvements every 2-3 weeks by testing max at the beginning of the workout to get more accurate results.

Yep start of the workout is best and I would personally be suggesting to try your maxes maybe every 3-4 weeks rather than 2-3. They are pretty taxing on your CNS as well as the rest of your body

I think I will benchmark my improvements every 2-3 weeks by testing max at the beginning of the workout to get more accurate results.

Yep start of the workout is best and I would personally be suggesting to try your maxes maybe every 3-4 weeks rather than 2-3. They are pretty taxing on your CNS as well as the rest of your body

Good to know, and yeah that sounds good. Once a month is much better! Thanks!

I'm actually going to be doing your shoulder routine today. Thanks for posting.

-Dylan

Let me know how it goes for you! It is part of a 3-day split done twice a week from one of Arnold's books. If you are interested in this style of high sets / supersets , I can give you the full workout!

• 1 month later...

I have been refining my workout over the past 4-6 weeks and found one that seems to be working really well for me. I am 3 weeks away from my next progress photo so I am pushing really hard to get my diet and workouts in check.

I am still going to the gym 6-7 days a week, and loving every second of it. I watched a Youtube video of C.T Fletcher talking trash about "overtraining", and choose to believe him ( for now ) haha.

Anyways, since my routine has been changing it has been hard to document my progress, but I will show some 1 MR changes thus far.

Bench Press:

When I started in November of 2012, I could BARELY push up 95lbs on the bench. I wouldn't say that was max, but pretty damn close. As of today, February 26, 2013, my max is about 180lbs. I feel like I could probably do 5-10lbs more if I did it earlier in my routine, but that hasn't happened. My WORKING sets are from 140-160 usually.

Deadlift:

I avoided doing these at the beginning to avoid injury due to bad form or weak core muscles. But when I did try, I had a hard time lifting 115lbs. I still haven't tried a MAX because again I don't want to hurt myself, but I am doing working sets of 8-10 reps at 205lbs.

I will try and work some more max reps out this week and compare to my first few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Huge day for me yesterday on the bench! 2 PLATES!! (225lbs).

Seriously, less than 4 months ago, I was struggling to put up a pair of 35lb plates more than 5 time. And now I am pushing 225lbs for 2 reps just for good measure.

I have a feeling I could have got another rep or two if I did it earlier in my workout. Will push for 2 plates and a 5 on each side this week.

WOO! This was the biggest rush for me at the perfect time this week. Work has been extremely busy/stressful and this made it all better.