Jub, a Vegan in the Gym

JubNZ

So havent updated in a week, didn't go to the gym Tues, Weds, Thurs or Friday last week. GF (ex?) flew out on Friday night and we wanted to spend as much time as possible together. Gonna miss her lots , but life goes on.

Saturday 9th:

Bench Press 30 x 10, 35 x 10, 35 x 8

30d Incline Fly 7 x 10, 7 x 10, 7 x 10

Lat Pull Downs 35 x 10, 35 x 10, 35 x 10

BB Skull crusher 13 x 25

Super set: BB Skull Crusher 13 x 25, 10 press ups (never done a super set before, think I might add them in from time to time to keep the body guessing!)

Front Shrugs 25 x 20

Reverse Shrugs 25 x 20

Dumbbell Shrugs 9 x 20

Tricep Pull downs 32 x 10, 32 x 10, 32 x 10

Sunday 10th

2 hours of Tennis in 38 degree Celsius heat. Heat wave go away.

Monday 11th

Chest Press 37.5 x 8, 37.8 x 8, 40 x 8

Leg Extensions 110 x 8, 120 x 8, 120 x 8

Calf Raises 20 x 12, 40 x 12, 40 x 12 (think I should go down to 30kg, and make sure I am getting full movement next time)

Squats 25 x 12, 50 x 8, 50 x 4 (no idea what happened, legs just couldnt push any more :/)

Front Shrugs 20 x 25, 20 x 25

Reverse Shrugs 20 x 25, 20 x 25

Dumbbell Shrugs 9 x 25, 9 x 25

Core:

5 mins of planks (original and side planks)

40 Leg Raises

50x Ab Twist

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to take the next step in my training, and add a bit more structure to my training.

I got this 3 day split from Derek's journal; I'll do each split twice a week. I'm in Melbourne less than 2 weeks but that's alright. Will do Core On Legs and Chest/back day.

Day 1: Chest/back

Day 2: Arms/Shoulder

Day 3: Legs

Tuesday 12th

Weight: 67.0kg

Chest/back day

Chest Press 40 x 8, 40 x 8, 40 x 8

Bench Press 35 x 8, 35 x 8, 35 x 8

30d Incline Fly 7 x 12, 7 x 12, 7 x 12

Narrow Grip Lat Pull downs 35 x 10, 35 x 10, 35 x 20

Seated Row 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10

---------------------------------------------------

Press ups 100 (sets of 20)

Planks 5 mins of them

Wednesday 13th

Arms/Shoulders (+ shrugs as didn't do them day before)

Front Shrugs 25 x 25, 25 x 25

Reverse Shrugs 25 x 25, 25 x 25

Dumbbell Shrugs 9 x 25, 9 x 25

--------------------------------------

Dumbbell Twist 3 x 30, 3 x 30

Arnold Press 8 x 10, 8 x 10, 8 x 10

Assisted Dips 35 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10

Skull Crushers 13 x 25, 13 x 25, 13 x 25

Kettle Bell Press 6 x 12, 6 x 12, 6 x 12

Alternating Deltoid Raises 3 x 12, 3 x 12, 3 x 12

Had never done Arnold Press, Kettle Bell Press and Alternating Deltoid Press before. Was happy with how they went, going to watch a couple more videos to look at the movement exactly but pretty sure I did ok for a first time.

Thursday 14th

Wight: 67.8kg

Legs day

Notes: Legs seemed tired on way through but glad I still went, was really focusing on form overall.

Swiss ball squats: 7 x 10, 7 x 10, 7 x 10

BB Squats: Bar + 40 x 10, Bar + 40 x 10, Bar + 40 x 10

Calf Raises: 20 x 10, 40 x 10, 40 x 10

Seated Leg Curl: 30 x 10, 30 x 10, 30 x 10

Leg Extensions: 60 x 10, 120 x 8, 130 x 8

Heaviest Ive weighed in today. Think I am getting better slowly but surely, keep forgetting to eat some fruit just before leaving work tho

Rest day tomorrow, then will look to fit in weekends around a hectic weekend including a leaving party for myself

Didnt work out Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Left for work Friday morn and wasnt home till Sunday evening, out and about catching up with people etc.

Monday 18/3

Got a text from PT yesterday, she said I can come in for a free session, cant complain!

So we did some legs (she was really impressed with my squat form!!):

Squats: 30 x 10, 30 x 10, 30 x 10

Straight Leg Dead Lifts: 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 10

Leg Press: 80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10

Seated Calf Raises: 30 x 10, 30 x 10, 30 x 10

Few Mins of core work

Will be in Thailand this time next week, crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you have a blast in Thailand, awesome place !! You been there before?

Last time I was there steroids were legal as well, crazy stuff!

Yea I was here last September, Chiang Mai was awesome so Im back!

So I am now almost fully settled into Chiang Mai. Landed in Bangkok, stayed there for a night and then took the overnight train to Chiang Mai (solid 15hours on train). My goal here is to just enjoy life, and attempt to get bigger.

Havent been able to locate any non - Whey protein, so looks like Ill be eating lots of pad thais, fried rice, papaya salads and Massaman curries!

I have bought some oats, soy milk, bread and PB so thats still going to be regular.

1st couple days I went to Vegan restaurants and the food was yum. First night I have fried Kale, Mushrooms and Tofu on Organic Brown rice (should have take a pic!) with a Apple, celery, beetroot and ginger juice.

Need to find explore some more of the well known ones, but otherwise at regular restaurants my favourite word is now 'jey'. Which means no meat or dairy products.

The gym in my apartment block I used for the first time this avo. Nice view on top floor in the stinking heat. Very simple with a squat rack bench, couple dumbbells and cardio equipment. So did benchpress, squats, shrugs, dumb bell flys.

Not sure what my plan gym wise is going to be totally tho.

Any way, just wanted to update this. I am bad at remembering to take pics but hopefully I can include some fun ones throughout the next 5 weeks or so.

p.s. If anyone here is in Chiang Mai, holla!

I am useless at taking photos!

Anyways, I have found a really cheap gym here (25baht/visit = less than 1USD). You pay for what you get but I can work with it. It has dumbbells, benches, couple of racks, few cardio machines and 2 home gym things. Plenty to work with really. Been the previous 2 days, went to go today and it was closed :/

Then went to go for a run, the two tracks I found were not being used by anyone. So I didn't jump on, as there must have been a reason. So have just done some pushups/core in my place this avo.

Thursday, I will be joining a crew that created a fitness group via Couch Surfing so hopefully that goes well.

Have eaten a lot of fried rice since I got here. They make it slightly different each time which is cool and it often has Kale in it even. (250g of Kale is ~60 cents, so cheap).

Here's a pic of some fried rice I had today:http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5120/ricep.jpg

Havent done to much training since I got here sadly.

Gyms has been closed for the last few days. Went twice since the last post I believe. Also played Ultimate Frisbee on Wednesday, that wiped me out on the Thursday. Two hours of running, stepping turning and throwing was epic.

Yesterday I went to the lake with a big bunch of people, we hired tubes and floated around, almost felt like a workout getting back to where we started fighting the current.

Some pics

1st Pic: Yesterdays lake

2nd,3rd and 4th pic: The gym I go to here, less than 1$ a session!

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1599/img2536t.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9923/img2467r.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9061/img2469rk.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2953/img2468pa.jpg

Gym looks alright mate, well worth the money I say.

Lake looks amazing, just needs a few naked girls to make it perfect.

That rice looks awesome as well. You're living the dream!

Yea I gotta agree, value play!!!

Haha, no naked girls unfortunately, plenty to look at tho

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went for a workout with the 'Chiang Mai Fitness' group today. 9 of us expats got together at one of the local stadiums. We did a circuit/crossfit style training.

5 mins of bleacher runs

6mins circuits with a partner where we would do 100x cardio reps while partner does as many strength exercise as possible

Circuit 1: Jumping Jacks and Tri Pull downs

Circuit 2: Mountain Climbers and Chest Press

Circuit 3: Skipping and Dips

Circuit 4: Ski Jumps and Press Ups

Circuit 5: Plank Jumps and Situps

5 mins bleacher runs.

40 mins of exercise, awesome work out, awesome people = winning!

So since the last post (48 hours or so) I have been for 3 workouts. It is a lot easier going for workouts when ya with other people!

The eveing after I posted I hit the gym (was very busy) with a German fella I met here, he's staying just down the road so easy to meet up and go. Got in a solid upperbody work out in 80mins or so.

Yesterday, we hit the gym up again and I did a total body workout. Finally got some core in which I had been a bit slack on.

This morning, 6 of us met up for the Chiang Mai Fitness group. We did some core work, then little bit of cardio and then some interval strenth training. So I am feeling good!

Songkran (Thai New Year) starts tomorrow so the gyms are closing over that period but I am sure 9 - 5 for three days of waterfighting will be plenty to keep me active!

Thats a sick circuit above. Im sure training partners help keep you pushing through it.

It defo does! Surprised actually, think its the compettive instinct of: I am better, must be quickest fastest strongest haha

What are the bleacher runs, can you explain them? Water fighting sounds a laugh, I'd be in for some of that !!

Bleacher runs are just running up an down the steps of a stadium. Guessing bleachers is an American term, we would call hem 'stadium steps'? haha.

Waterfighting was amazing, one of best experiences of my life. Although it did claim my phone. The waterfights went for 4 days, I then went on a trip to Pai (130km away) so have not done dedicated exercise for a week but have been active. Throwing buckets of water all day counts?

A couple pics I managed to get (I'm the one in blue tee):

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3473/48493021.png

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4433/dscn1948uj.jpg

Back to it tomorrow, 8am meetup fr 'Chiang Mai' fitness group, its going to be tough!

Great fun I bet. Cool pics!

epic.

Have been back getting some workouts now, yesterday we did a good cardio workout for 50 minutes with Chiang Mai Fitness, I then went to the gym in the evening.

Today I will be doing 12 pressups, an going one lower each set. Nothing major, but tomorrow I am going hard!

I ate a lot today, which I am happy about. Would be stoked if I can keep this up the rest of the week as I have basically floated around 67 since I've been here:

Meal 1 - Vegetables with spaghetti (1.33$)

Meal 2 - Vege fried rice + Mango shake (1.45$)

Meal 3 - Vege fried rice + Pineapple shake (1.45$)

Snack - These bread things, were yum but dont know what they are called (0.5$)

Meal 4 - Fried Kale and Tofu on rice + Banana/carrot/watermelon shake (1.66$)

Meal 5 - (Will be) Fried mushrooms and tofu on rice (1$)

ALOT OF RICE.

Not bad for 7.50$ with it all being made fresh in front of me!

Will post workouts I do tomorrow, hopefully I dig deep!

Cheap food alright, sounds great as well. I bet it's really fresh aye

Fresh as can be

Managed to lose access to gmail account for a few days so couldnt login here, but Im back!

Last 2 days in Chiang Mai now, have been training really well this week. My cardio has improved a good amount since getting here I feel, but Im not sure about my strength - would say its similar to pre Chiang Mai.

Going to miss having the Chiang Mai fitness group and my mate to go to gym with, but I will keep at it. On the road its going to be tricky but I am going to do the month long skipping challenge in May so that will ensure I keep doing at least some. I shall post that when it gets sent to me.

Will hit the gym tonight and do some cardio in the morning before flying out just before midnight to South Korea for a 14 hour stopover.

Since getting here have been talking to lots of people who run websites etc and I have been learning from theme. I hope I can keep working at the one I have created (link in signature). Its fun at the moment, and theres so so so much to learn!

Pic: Fried Mushrooms on rice with a coconut, mmmmmm.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/62/dscn2095y.jpg