Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great endeavor my friend. Do you do interval training while training; like walk run walk?

Yep, I've got a 60km run planned in a few weeks time and that will done as a run/walk. With ultra's (the longer ones) there comes a point when time on your legs/duration becomes more important than how many miles you are logging.

WEEK THREE

MON: 17.07km in 2:09 (ave 7.94kph)

TUE: REST

WED: 10.2km in 1:04 (ave 9.56kph)

THU: REST

FRI: 10.2km in 1:03.20 (ave 9.66kph)

SAT: 6.8km in 42.00 (ave 9.71kph)

SUN: 7km in 42.00 (ave 10kph)

TOTAL: 51.3km

** Reasonable week of running, increased the mileage a little again and picked up my speed a fraction with each session in order to try and improve my conditioning. This coming week will be a considerably higher mileage week, so hopefully I'm starting to get a good enough base to absorb that.

Well I wanted to do 60km, but it just poured with rain the whole day and was pretty cold by the afternoon. So I called it a day at 50.03km and 6hr13. Ran through some forest and some very isolated roads, was pretty serene and thoroughly enjoyed it (despite my hands going nearly numb)

Well I wanted to do 60km, but it just poured with rain the whole day and was pretty cold by the afternoon. So I called it a day at 50.03km and 6hr13. Ran through some forest and some very isolated roads, was pretty serene and thoroughly enjoyed it (despite my hands going nearly numb)

...You're crazy lol

Honestly, I wish I could do something like that, I ran 6 miles with plenty of walking.. Last year with a friend and I my legs were totally beat up for 3 days lol!

What's your nutrition like for the running mate?

Honestly, I wish I could do something like that, I ran 6 miles with plenty of walking.. Last year with a friend and I my legs were totally beat up for 3 days lol!

What's your nutrition like for the running mate?

That's still good mate !! A lot of people wouldn't be able to run/walk 10km.

Nutrition, generally just eating more regularly and making sure I eat good quality calories and enough of them. For my 50km run my food looked like:

Night before: Meal from one of my local Chinese vegetarian restaurants ~ 1 x pickled free range egg (sorry guys lol), bok choi, potato, coconut rice, tofu square and soy 'sesame chicken', large scoop of chili sauce (see photo below)

2hrs before run: Grilled focacia bread, field mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, spinach

During first 34km: 2 x GU gels, 1,200ml electrolyte drink (it was a cold wet day), hot chocolate from a garage at the 28km mark lol

Final 16km: 1 x small bowl pilau rice + 1 x avocado, 1 x banana, 2 x nashi pears from the fridge... BLISS

Yummo.jpg.7a8456ecc75d6d29f22a884b8add9441.jpg

Pre 50km dinner

Food is always good here!

Well coming to the end of my fourth week and it's been another increase in the weekly distance and I'm feeling fantastic. A treadmill session is all I have left for today which will bring me to around 75km for this week (that's a screenshot of the leaderboard of the running log I use, so about 50 miles for the week)

305878_454748451269232_1252950662_n.jpg

WEEK FOUR

2576_56891958719_2113336_n.jpg

MON: REST

TUE: REST

WED: 50.3km in 6:13 (ave 8.05kph)

THU: 3km recovery walk in 30.00 (ave 6kph)

FRI: 13.1km in 1:25 (ave 9.25kph)

SAT: REST

SUN: REST

TOTAL: 66.1km

** Sunday was meant to be a long(ish) evening run, but dinner at the in-laws went on forever. By the time we all got home and got the kids into bed it was simply too late ~ will make up for that shortfall this coming week. Happy with the 50km run, it was done in pouring rain the whole time and I got absolutely freezing. Character building for sure

Did a great 'easy tempo' run last night, pushed myself to go a bit faster but not so fast that it was uncomfortable. Definately a little faster than I have been running though, way faster than what I need to be running but I still think it's good to give the body varied stimuli. The body is great at adapting to training, especially if it's at the same intensity all of the time.

16km in 1hr35, nothing majorly speedy but with four weeks behind me I was pretty happy with it when I got home

Tonight will be another 15km then I'll do a longer run on Thu, somewhere around 30-35km.

MF that is inspirational . I am non running person but looking at you i feel getting a new pair of runners and head out . Any tips for someone starting new like me how to combine Strength Training with some running .

BTW i love you DP want to look like that someday !

Hey stranger

While I still find your drive rather impressive, I just can't relate to running as much as lifting.. That being said though, reading about running makes me miss it. I used to run indoors (treadmill) and run outside on those extremely gorgeous days that are just begging you to go out and sweat haha Maybe we'll be able to talk running soon. Next year I want to do the Disney World marathon haha

Last night I headed out with a friend for a crazy midnight trail run. Wound through the side of a few massive hills, through a ton of thick of gorse (to get back on route when the track disappeared and we realised we had gone the wrong way) and through a few dense forests. Was pretty technical running but brilliant fun

485557_10200146589320500_1614347311_n.jpg

That was just before we headed out, we got some really cool images of the run itself so as soon as I get them back from him I'll post some of the good ones up here MF.

WEEK FIVE

MON: REST

TUE: 16km in 1:35.18 (ave 10.07kph)

WED: REST

THU:13.4km in 1:26 (ave 9.35kph)

FRI:14.1km in 1:27 (ave 9.72kph) ~ sustained 0.5km sprint at end of run, hit max speed of 34.62kph

SAT:13.75km in 2:02 (ave 6.76kph) ~ midnight trail/hill run

SUN:3.5km in 22.00 (ave 9.55kph)

TOTAL: 60.8km

Good week of running, the night run was pretty insane clambering up the side of mountains and through thick forest. My running partner got some great shots, will post them up once I get them off him